Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: An LCS newbie has some questions  (Read 8221 times)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Re: An LCS newbie has some questions
« Reply #90 on: June 11, 2011, 01:45:08 am »

Is there any way to raise a character's max skill level in any specific skill?

Each skill is tied to a character attribute or the average of multiple such attributes. Most of these are rather intuitive - disguise and seduction are charisma-skills, writing and art are influenced by intelligence and heart, most weapon skills by agility and so on. To raise your skill caps, you need to raise these attributes by gaining juice. Note that the character's initial stats also directly influence the final potential of the character - characters that begin with very low agility will not become superninjas at even max juice, although they will lose some of that suckiness.

LCS Wiki may have a list of skills and their capping attributes. The only two recent changes to the system are that attributes aren't capped to 20 anymore and no skill is capped by wisdom, so if you spot either of those, it's not true anymore.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #91 on: June 11, 2011, 04:57:03 am »

Also, all skills are now capped by one and only one attribute, and the cap is exactly the value of that attribute. So if your skill caps at 7, you can guess which attribute governs it by looking at what attributes you have at 7, and then making an intuitive guess as to which of those makes sense for that skill. It should be pretty easy most of the time.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 11, 2011, 08:54:51 am »

I see attributes are not capped at 20, but I have charisma 22 and can get no more than 20 in persuasion and seduction skills. Is this updated in the sourceforge trunk? The current 4.04 game tells me the cap is 22.00, yet it is really 20.00. Either the cap needs to be increased to the full attribute, or the display needs to be changed to show the true cap.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 08:57:05 am by Reelyanoob »

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2011, 09:06:01 am »

Attributes used to be capped at 20, but this limit was recently removed. Undocumented skill caps are unlikely to be intentional, but may be a result of the way LCS handles skill training. Many skills only train when the "challenge" is high enough - for example, I think security skill is impossible to get to even 20 or so, because none of the locks is challenging enough to train the character at that point, and even past 10 will require some grinding of extra-hard locks. The same could apply to persuasion.

EDIT: For debugging purposes, have you tried the University? I'm not exactly sure about its training code, but I think it's possible that you could gain some amount of persuasion through learning "public policy" there.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 09:09:36 am by Kay12 »
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #94 on: June 11, 2011, 10:23:01 am »

It's probably being hard capped in the skill experience gain code, or the skill level up code. Either place would affect training regardless of the method; even University training just gives you bonus experience.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]