Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Traps are worthless.  (Read 2292 times)

Traps are worthless.
« on: November 04, 2007, 05:43:00 pm »

The cave river creatures seem to consistently bypass my traps. The stonefall traps don't even go off!

Seeing as how my river creatures are super tough as is, from swimming, this kinda makes my fort unplayable.

I'm assuming this is a bug. If Toady reads this after his break, I've a save of my fortress with traps laid out by the river; I can send it along and all you'd need to do is station somebody by the entrance and behold the horror when something crawls out.

If there's any additional info needed for suggestions, just ask.

Note: I tried turning adventure traps on in init.txt, and one stonefall trap seemed to go off, but just one. And in other tests with it on, none have.

Re: Traps are worthless.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 07:12:00 pm »

Ok, this has to be a bug, I've a save now with a mudman standing directly on a weapons trap. Gonna have to postpone this fortress till there's a fix.

Captain Goatse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 09:02:00 pm »

I confirm, I got rhesus monkeys opening the door to my above ground towers and passing spiked balls traps without setting. Please fix that ASAP!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 11:29:00 pm »

I had an Iron Man waltz through a row of stonefall traps.    :(
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 12:05:00 am »

Yeah, I never even relied so much on traps before, but considering my river creatures are insanely strong I really have no alternative. Not that it's helped.   :(

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 01:11:00 am »

I *think* I remember toady saying something about mechanism quality affecting traps this version. maybe your traps are just not firing because you have shoddy mechanisms? try making some nice ones and see if that helps?
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Ravendas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 01:25:00 am »

Theres some videos in the somethingawful df thread showing a dragon dying by 4 stonefall traps (outside), and a titan getting caught in a cage trap. While that is a bug in itself, since they are supposed to just bypass traps, they are anything but useless.

Like the other said, perhaps you need better mechanisms? Maybe the rocks weren't loaded? Not sure.

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 02:47:00 am »

Rocks were definitely loaded, minus a few that I know weren't. Mechanism quality might be a factor, but for rows of traps to not go off in repeated tests seems weird. I had a snake man run through about 5 rows of traps, stone fall and weapons, and nothing (although granted my river creatures are super hell spawn: http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=11&t=000922  ). I've had frogmen go through traps without triggering. And if somebody will tell me how I can post a screen shot, I have a save game where a mud man is currently just doodling about on a weapons trap surrounded by stone fall traps and nothing happens to him.

If this is related to mechanism quality then that is a ridiculous fail ratio! Maybe the creatures learned to bypass traps somehow, because they are just that badass or something, I don't know. But I'm guessing it's a bug, a mighty mean one for me since I generally only trap sparingly and when necessary.

Edit: Cleaned up phrasing

[ November 05, 2007: Message edited by: Funkadelic Jive Turkey ]

Quintin Stone

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Bureaucrat
    • View Profile
    • RPS
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 10:21:00 am »

My stonefall traps have been triggered by both monkeys and a dragon.  I haven't encountered any river creatures yet though.

[ November 05, 2007: Message edited by: Quintin Stone ]

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 10:34:00 am »

They kill of insane dwarves well enough
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 10:59:00 am »

My stonefall traps easily killed a dragon like 2 hours ago. You call this worthless? I think traps are way too powerful in fact.
your problem sounds like a bug.

[ November 05, 2007: Message edited by: Tormy ]

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 07:07:00 pm »

Err, Tormy, you say my problem sounds like a bug?

Well it's posted in bug reports isn't it?   :roll: ...

Sophismata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 11:28:00 pm »

Come to mention it, none of my traps have ever gone off, either. This is with Kobold Thieves walking all over them, too.

Durnheist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 11:51:00 pm »

Kobold thieves have trap avoid, meaning they'll never set them off.  I don't think regular goblin thieves do, but master goblin thieves also avoid I believe.

Dehydration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 12:50:00 am »

Here are some worthless traps against a legendary dragon.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-96-onoiduruso

Here are some worthless traps and a very brave horse against a legendary titan.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-99-mypettitan

As far as sneaky-things go, traps don't go off all the time -- there are monsters, particularly of the kobold variety, that sometimes make it almost inside my fort even with what you see here. Even once they're revealed they run around at will without getting smashed. Seeing as how it's real, real specific which ones are and are not affected, I'm not sure you could call this a bug.

shouldn''t trust the phones. They''re full of gas.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4