Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another XP Crash bug.  (Read 469 times)

CaptainAjil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Another XP Crash bug.
« on: December 14, 2006, 03:36:00 am »

After searching the forum and interwebs for about an hour, I felt that asking on the forum was the best way to do it.

I've been playing DF for a month or two now just fine. No issues at all in Windows 2k. However, yesterday I upgraded to XP (using the upgrade feature, not reformat), and now the game simply crashes when I load it.

It's not the "FATAL ERROR" bug relating to the index file, everything is where it should be so far as I can tell.

What happens is I'll double click on the EXE file to load the game, as per usual, and it'll ask me the question about windowing it. Regardless of what I say, it loads up the box or black screen and plays the Bay 12 games intro music... and then a box pops up that says "DF has caused an error and needs to be closed" and asks me to send an error report to microsoft.

I tried running it in compatibility mode for all versions of windows save for Win95, and that didn't help. So far this is the only thing I've had problems with since the upgrade from OS to OS and I've run most of the gambit of all the programs I usually run. I have a funny feeling that this might be the result of said upgrade instead of the reformat and reinstall. However, as this is the only thing I've had issues with at all I really don't want to reformat and reinstall windows just to play the game even though I think it's pretty darn keen.

If anyone could give me any pointers and such, I'd appreciate them.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Another XP Crash bug.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 04:07:00 am »

Upgrade your graphics drivers? Make sure you've got the newest version of Direct X?

Certainly can't hurt.

What are the specs of your computer (other than the fact that it's running XP)?

CaptainAjil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 04:32:00 am »

AMD XP+ 2800, 512 megs of PC3200 RAM, WinXP Pro SP2, ATI Radeon 9800 with 128 megs of RAM.

CaptainAjil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 06:09:00 am »

Well hot diggity. That worked. Thanks for the suggestion. It was a silly question I know, but the speedy help got my game back up and running.

Now to lava everything!

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 06:51:00 pm »

Hey, are you Ajil from RPGWW?

If so, it's me, Spleen!

"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA

CaptainAjil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 05:29:00 pm »

I totally am.  :D Howdy.