Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Traps are worthless.  (Read 2297 times)

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Traps are worthless.
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 02:16:00 am »

All I can say is, cage traps caught 1 rhesus macqaue, a goblin child snatcher, and two goblin invaders.

They appear to be working for me...

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

ravensword227

• Bay Watcher
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 09:41:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sophismata:
<STRONG>Come to mention it, none of my traps have ever gone off, either. This is with Kobold Thieves walking all over them, too.</STRONG>

Thieves can avoid traps.
Dumed Zustashlorbam, Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: Interrupted by Skeletal hammerhead shark.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 09:49:00 am »

Anyone else have river creatures?  My traps have been working fine on all the non-thief external creatures.  It sounds like river creatures are getting some ability that lets them bypass.  Does every legendary creature get that?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 10:15:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Funkadelic Jive Turkey:
<STRONG>Err, Tormy, you say my problem sounds like a bug?

Well it's posted in bug reports isn't it?    :D

Quintin Stone

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Bureaucrat
    • View Profile
    • RPS
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 11:43:00 am »

This is the result of 1 single stonefall trap on a dragon:

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 11:48:00 am »

@ Dehydration: Gee thanks, wtf was the point of that? Rubbing it in? Go get in a horrible accident that paralyzes you and I'll jog circles around you while you yell "I can't move my legs."

If I knew how, I'd post screens\movies\saves of traps not working. There is no reason that I know of why traps should not work against river creatures. I know about creatures that avoid traps. Mud and Frog men are not these creatures.

I reiterate that this is posted as a bug report! Please stop trying to discredit the (apparently provocative) title.

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 06:50:00 pm »

Ok, a video for you all. Go on and tell me it isn't a bug after seeing this mud man:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-109-brokentrapsandtheriverofhorrors

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2007, 07:54:00 pm »

I think the problem was the title of the thread mate..    ;)
Traps are not worthless, just bugged it seems like.

[ November 06, 2007: Message edited by: Tormy ]

JustOnePixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2007, 08:32:00 pm »

After looking at the video, I see that the mudman is standing on a weapon trap.  Weapon traps have a probability of becoming jammed every time they activate.  Your dwarves, when given a chance, will unjam it.  I also see that a number of your traps HAVE fired, so it seems that not all traps are quite as worthless as the thread would suggest.
Tessie! 'nuf said' McGreevy shouted,
we're not here to mess around!
Boston, you know we love you madly,
hear the crowd roar to your sound!
Don't blame us if we ever doubt ya, you know we couldn't live without ya!
RED SOX!  You are the only, only, only!
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2007, 08:43:00 pm »

No, none have fired. Some have never gotten loaded because mechanics have been scared off\killed. The weapons trap also has never gone off let alone get jammed.

@ Tormy: Yes, they aren't worthless when they work properly. But in my situation they are. Pardon me if, in frustration, I picked a misleading title. However I'm also annoyed by people using this thread (in bug reports!) to show off the lethality of their stone fall traps, this stuff belongs in your properly named thread of Traps are too powerful. If somebody gets hit with the cursed (now gone?) inflate 3 error, somebody else posting screen shots of their world loading properly doesn't fix or prove anything.

Tracker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2007, 08:59:00 pm »

Mine work fine. Strange.
here''s men underground/who have never seen the sun/but they really know how to party/they raise their wooden pints/and they yoik and sing/and they fight and they dance ''till morning
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2007, 10:58:00 pm »

I'm starting to think it might be something to do with my super monsters and not the traps themselves, since nobody else seems to have this problem.

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2007, 11:12:00 pm »

No, I think I know the problem --

All you who's traps work fine: Have you tried using them on natives of your area? Much the same as a diplomat will learn about traps and thus he and his nation will be immune to those he's seen, and your dwarves are immune to your own traps (because they know they're there), native denizens of your area may be inadvertently receiving knowledge of the traps, thus making them immune to them.

lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!

Bondo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2007, 11:35:00 pm »

I second the above.  I built clever trap tunnels when I breached the nearby goblin fortress.  Chortling in my best wicked manner, I lured the goblins into the tunnel expecting to see them diced and squashed.  I did a double spit take as the goblins gleefully ran the gauntlet, not springing a final trap, then burst into my farming cave and commenced the slaughter.  

Judging by the anecdotes thus far, it seems that native critters are immune to traps.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2007, 11:41:00 pm »

What I'd consider a bug would be to be able to build rock fall traps in the open... Where exactly are they "falling" from? :P
I am on a hot streak... literally.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4