Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Traps are worthless.  (Read 2280 times)

Re: Traps are worthless.
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2007, 12:08:00 am »

Hehe, very good point Eagle.

And Rondol it seems you are on to something my friend!

I guess I'm just building tame play fortresses for now. The natives I've got now could probably slaughter my pop. cap of 100 if they wanted to, and they're slowly getting restless.

Quintin Stone

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Bureaucrat
    • View Profile
    • RPS
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2007, 09:23:00 am »

My traps have worked against both monkeys and wolves.  However, these are animals that respawn and the victims were likely not original inhabitants of the map.

I also agree that stonefall traps should require a ceiling in order to work.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2007, 01:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Quintin Stone:
<STRONG>My traps have worked against both monkeys and wolves.  However, these are animals that respawn and the victims were likely not original inhabitants of the map.

I also agree that stonefall traps should require a ceiling in order to work.</STRONG>

When you build a stonefall trap out in the open, it comes with its own ceiling. A little room with a bunch of rocks on top, so it's no wonder nobody's fooled by it.  ;)

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Quintin Stone

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Bureaucrat
    • View Profile
    • RPS
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2007, 03:22:00 pm »

Except for dragons!   :D

SquidDNA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2007, 01:49:00 am »

I had a stone fall trap hit a rhesus macaque but a fire man slip through numerous stone fall and copper weapon traps (high quality mechanisms all) repeatedly in the November 23rd build. Is this likely to be Fire Men just being evil trap avoiders?
Relicnews Forums Fleet Biologist

rylen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2007, 10:04:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Funkadelic Jive Turkey:
<STRONG>
If I knew how, I'd post screens\movies\saves of traps not working. There is no reason that I know of why traps should not work against river creatures. I know about creatures that avoid traps. Mud and Frog men are not these creatures.
</STRONG>

We need some sort of sticky post to explain this.

• Assuming you're working on a PC, you can get a screenshot w/ CTRL-PrintScreen.  (Often towards the right of the keyboard.)  This copies the screen to a buffer.
  • Then open a graphics program and "paste" the results.  I usually make a BMP (bitmap) file in Windows paint, but I'm not being very sophisticated.  
  • Load your picture somewhere.  I've been using ImageShack which will return a link to your file when it's done.  I've seen other hosting sites used, as well.
  • Use the Instant UBB - Image button to embed the picture.  You'll want to do some Previews to make sure you've embeded the right link.  I've done thumbnails by accident many times.
  • And Bjorn Stronginthearm is your uncle.

Hope this helps.

Rylen

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2007, 11:58:00 am »

Or you could just install Jing and use it to take and share a screenshot of a particular window or even just part of one window. (It can also record movies and encode them into a flash file, but you could use DF's built in movie recorder instead.)

[ December 01, 2007: Message edited by: Shadowlord ]

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2007, 12:54:00 pm »

[EDIT: note to self: remember to check for pages after page 1]

[ December 01, 2007: Message edited by: Nil Eyeglazed ]

He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2007, 01:57:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by rylen:
<STRONG>Assuming you're working on a PC, you can get a screenshot w/ CTRL-PrintScreen.  (Often towards the right of the keyboard.)  This copies the screen to a buffer. </STRONG>

The CTRL key is unnessessary, PrintScreen works regarless of what modifier keys you press.

CRTL-PrtScrn = SHIFT-PrtScrn = PrtScrn
ALT-PrtScrn -> Just the active window

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2007, 02:42:00 pm »

Unless you are on a stupid microsoft wireless comfort keyboard. Then you need to make sure your F-lock is in the proper position. (And maybe this goes for other keyboards as well..)
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

rylen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2007, 06:18:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>

The CTRL key is unnessessary, PrintScreen works regarless of what modifier keys you press.

CRTL-PrtScrn = SHIFT-PrtScrn = PrtScrn
ALT-PrtScrn -> Just the active window</STRONG>

I think I'm dating myself.  I needed CTRL when I learned this long ago.  Yep, it doesn't share with another button anymore.

R

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2007, 07:22:00 pm »

Hrmm... What it looks like is native, intelligent creatures gain knowledge of traps.  Wolves and giant toads aren't intelligent, so they set off the traps even if they're native, since only intelligent creatures can learn about traps.  To solve this, it just needs to be set so that hostile creatures do not learn about traps, regardless of whether they are in the area or not.  Perhaps they might gain knowledge of a single trap if they witness it being built, but even then, it's not nessicarily obvious how to actually get past the trap, so the best they could hope for is to find another path around.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Neoncat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.neonbits.com
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2007, 03:49:00 am »

I think theres no problem with traps. Theres problem with skills. As you can see all river creatures are ultra mighty, super agile and so on. Maybe they gain swimming skill all the time and level up to be a super monsters, which can avoid traps any time.

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2007, 06:26:00 am »

I'd rather see traps made less powerful, in the olden times you could just make a long long corridor of traps and handle everything hostile with it.

In my opinion creatures should have the chance to walk past the trap without triggering the mechanism (since your dwarves continuously run over the traps I can't see them being too hard not to step into), to detect the trap and go past unharmed or if they already triggered it, to dodge the trap.

SquidDNA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2007, 10:54:00 am »

I sincerely apologize for missing the second page of this thread before posting.

The "native inhabitant" suggestion is a pretty good one. Macaques aren't native to the map, they come from offmap. Firemen and fire imps come with it, on the other hand.

Relicnews Forums Fleet Biologist
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4