Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civilian Uniforms  (Read 5287 times)

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Civilian Uniforms
« on: January 01, 2011, 03:59:06 pm »

One of the current, outstanding bugs as I understand it is that civilian clothing doesn't work so well because it's a "uniform" but we can't control it.  So my idea would be that we should have several classes of citizens and be able to set uniforms for them all.  There would be a precedence to them, so that if somehow someone fell into more than one class, the first class would fill all the slots it could, then only empty slots could be filled by low precedence uniforms.

Also, let us assign jewelry in uniforms.  There are all these necklaces and things, but nobody wears them except our enemies.  (Speaking of which, why do dwarves never forge rings?)

So we would be able to set uniforms for:
Nobles (might want them to wear lots of bling or whatever)
Woodcutters (might want them to wear armor)
Miners
Civilians
Children/Babies (can wear any old hand-me downs)

Lastly, it would be nice to be able to tell them when to replace clothing.  So nobles might junk stuff at the first little scuff, while children could wear clothing until it wore down to nothing.  Finally, they should actually dispose of worn-out clothing.  Yeah, you can try to atom-smash it or something, but....
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
Re: Civilian Uniforms
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 05:17:32 pm »

(Speaking of which, why do dwarves never forge rings?)

They learned their lesson from Annatar.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Demicus

• Bay Watcher
  • The formless enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 10:17:03 pm »

This would be cool. Cause then we could set fashion as well. Though I imagine that it would leads o some oddities. Maybe have personality effect the likelyhood of said dwarf following a given fashion
All shall embrace the unquenchable flame
Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.

Thundawich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 02:39:14 am »

its an interesting idea, but im not sure that it would be very useful. Sure itd be fun for a while till you ran out of clothes for your nobles or something like that an ther all running around naked.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 03:06:50 pm »

its an interesting idea, but im not sure that it would be very useful. Sure itd be fun for a while till you ran out of clothes for your nobles or something like that an ther all running around naked.

Sounds like FUN to me.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Fancy Admiral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 05:51:09 pm »

I generally approve of this idea, but would prefer it to be not settable by the player.  Dwarves should choose which uniform to wear and how to appropriate their attire as a low priority job.  Maybe limit the job to once a year, if such a thing is possible, for civvies, more for nobles.

The uniforms should be procedurally generated and follow a preference hierarchy.  (e.g.: Wear long pants made of leather if possible.  If not, long pants made of plant cloth, if not short pants made of leather.)  A number of ideas have been bounced around for how to do this before.  Having 2-3 per civ should be manageable.  Dwarves should tend to prefer the dress of their home civ.  This should be easily manageable by the player within the first couple of years, which is when clothes start to wear out anyways.  Just would actually require either the clothing industry to be used (which many forego, since their dwarves don't actually use the stuff now) or import it.

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 11:53:40 pm »

this would be a great way to stop all my milta captains prancing about in dresses, my nobles wearing worn out pig tails and my framers marching about in the finest silk garments.

serious, it is bloody retarded that nobles crack the shits about not having a gold plated dining room but will be content with the cheapest clothing possible.
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

undead whales will seriously delay your megaproject.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 12:27:34 am »

I generally approve of this idea, but would prefer it to be not settable by the player.  Dwarves should choose which uniform to wear and how to appropriate their attire as a low priority job.  Maybe limit the job to once a year, if such a thing is possible, for civvies, more for nobles.
Tie it to birthdays. Nobles would be semi-annual, birthday and six months after. Then a script to check the dwarves' preferences (likes and dislikes) to decide which clothing to go for. Preference of cloth and dye could (should?) be added to dwarves, too.

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 01:26:12 am »

hey, obviously nobles should want silk, dyes and additional decorations but what about the working class? i blacksmith would really want for leather and i imagine a miner or wood cutter would find leather stuffy and silk very impractical.

parties anyone? dwarves should put on their highest value clothing for such events and grungy items for manual labor.
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

undead whales will seriously delay your megaproject.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 05:11:38 am »

hey, obviously nobles should want silk, dyes and additional decorations but what about the working class? i blacksmith would really want for leather and i imagine a miner or wood cutter would find leather stuffy and silk very impractical.

parties anyone? dwarves should put on their highest value clothing for such events and grungy items for manual labor.
Not just any silk. Exceptional and masterwork quality giant cave spider silks, specifically. FUN!

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 06:11:56 am »

Not just any silk. Exceptional and masterwork quality giant cave spider silks, specifically. FUN!

If my nobles start doing that, I'll arrange let them meet the GCS in person so they can be sure that its silk is good enough to wear....

But I agree with you.  I can't believe that the nobles don't demand expensive clothing and jewelry or that they don't throw their old clothes onto the nearest refuse heap whenever they get a scuff mark.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Fancy Admiral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 12:18:51 pm »

I can't believe that the nobles don't demand expensive clothing and jewelry or that they don't throw their old clothes onto the nearest refuse heap whenever they get a scuff mark.

I'd actually like this behavior for all dwarves to some degree.  If something gets worn to bare threads, don't covet it like a packrat!  Don't run out to get the xXpig tail socksXx when yours are just fine!  Not everyone should be neat and tidy, but I'd appreciate dwarves throwing out worn junk when they get a new set.  Maybe this would be another function of societal status.  How many clothes/outfits one owns would depend on having a room (otherwise, what you're wearing is what you've got.), and dwarves would generally throw out old clothes to maintain a constant personal wardrobe.

It would add a new mini-industry of refuse control in a slightly more meaningful manner than what we have now, too.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 06:37:40 pm »

And give us a reason to actually make some of this stuff instead of never touching the clothing industry aside from the bags for the glass and food industries. I've never made clothing in any of my forts, never was a reason to.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 06:42:21 pm »

ya, I'd love it if a smaller version of the economy was implemented from the beginning of the game, where a type of noble/manager, would have a 'shop' where he hands out clothing and decorative items to dwarves who need replacements.  Maybe even let you choose what quality's would go into the shop, so you could keep the lower quality items for trading, and the better items for your dwarves.
Nom nom nom