Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Help me fill this damn moat  (Read 8081 times)

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help me fill this damn moat
« on: January 02, 2011, 02:35:28 am »

Alright, if you've been following my Reveredtour LP, you know that I'm currently having some difficulty filling the moat. What I thought would be a simple task of merely diverting the river into the empty moat, but I can only assume this isn't working. So I tried diverting the ocean into the moat, and that doesn't seem to be working either. If the moat is actually filling up, it will won't be full until years from now. That is unacceptable.

Here's a picture that outline the current moat design;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Notice how the water seems to reach a certain point and then stop. You might assume that's because the moat hasn't had enough time to fill up yet, but the water has been stopping at those points for weeks. I believe that the temperature causes the water to evaporate before it reaches the edges of the moat. I'm not sure how to resolve this problem either, as I've never dealt with temperature based problems beyond the cold.

So here are what I think are my current options;

-Sit back and wait to see if the moat eventually fills up
-Cut up the earth of Reveredtour even more by carving additional tunnels to the river and ocean, hoping that multiple water sources will cause the water to reach the edges before evaporation
-cover the bottom of the moat in floortiles (not sure if this does anything, but someone suggested it)
-Turn of temperature temporairly and see if the moat fills up then. The elf option.

Anyone have some advice on what to do here? I'm really sick of this fucking moat.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Help me fill this damn moat
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 02:38:43 am »

Carving bigger entryways for the water to come in should work.

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 02:52:24 am »

Pumps.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 02:56:18 am »

Can you get above the ocean entry tunnel? If you channel that wall that is making a diagonal, the ocean should flow in a lot faster heh.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 02:58:29 am »

You're losing half or more of the water from the river to the river itself. Dam the river, and you should get more water going into your moat area. Also, in that same area, you've got what will eventually be a small lake/large pond, and you're losing a lot of water to evaporation since there's so much extra, unneeded space. If you want that space to eventually be filled entirely, consider building and raising drawbridges to partition it into smaller areas you can fill more easily. If you don't care if it gets filled all the way, just build walls instead.

It might also help to build big bridges over the whole moat. That'll set it to be Inside, which, IIRC, will protect it from the heat's evaporation effect and make the place fill faster.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 02:58:52 am »

Can you get above the ocean entry tunnel? If you channel that wall that is making a diagonal, the ocean should flow in a lot faster heh.

Maybe, but I'm worried that the result of that will be a drowning dwarf.

Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 03:02:53 am »

Maybe, but I'm worried that the result of that will be a drowning dwarf.

More than likely... but it'll definately speed up the fill rate.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 03:08:13 am »

Use pumps  :-\
Desu

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 03:12:23 am »

Seriously. Pump straight from the infinite water source on the map edge. Use raised bridges where you can't build walls.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 03:14:25 am »

It that microcline in the middle of the water there?

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 03:24:01 am »

I, uh, don't know how to use pumps.  :(

It that microcline in the middle of the water there?

Microline is everywhere in Reveredtour.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 03:47:00 am »

I, uh, don't know how to use pumps.  :(
That would explain the lack of pumps in the project.  Pumps require a Giant Corkscrew, a Pipe Section, and a Block of some type.  The quickest and easiest way to make the parts needed is in a Carpenter's Workshop.

You need 2 solid tiles to build the pump on, and it takes water in the "pump from" end and spits it out the other end.  The place to put would be at the uppermost part of the wall where you're letting the ocean into your moat, since it will have 2 tiles to sit on, and will be able to grab water from the ocean and dump it into the moat.  Set the pump to start being pumped by a dwarf (must have the "Pump Operating" labor enabled) and you will see a torrent of water issue forth from the pump.

Pumps are INCREDIBLY powerful.  They are the best way to move large volumes of water in DF, since natural flow takes so darned long.  Water is apparently a fairly viscous substance.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 03:57:43 am »

Construct an area next to the map edge like
Code: [Select]
 ++++
>>P<<
>>+<<
>>+<<
>>+<<
W = water, + = floor.
The << should be a two tile wide raising drawbridge to the east, and the >> to the west. Connect them to a lever, and raise them.
Build a pump from b->M with its dark block on the P. It should say something like pumps from the north on the right. Build a path for the water to your moat from wherever the game lets you start building walls. Select the pump building, and hit enter and a dwarf with the pump operating labor should come by, and send an utterly ridiculous amount of water down that one tile path.

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 07:25:17 am »

Personally I'd do it like this:

Code: [Select]
Ground level minus 1
~~╔══════
~~║▼%%+++ → to moat
~~╚╗+╔═══
    ↓   
to fort

Ground level minus 2
~~╚═╗
~~~▲║
~~╔═╝
The pressure from the sea should keep the pump intake full of water, while the (almost) U-Bend should prevent said pressure from flooding the pump.  Mebbe put a door between there and the fort just in case.  Although you'd need to set this up where there are two levels of ocean; only the southern part of the map by the look of it.
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.
Pages: [1] 2 3