Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Raiding Parties/Slaves  (Read 4002 times)

TheMrJACKman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Raiding Parties/Slaves
« on: January 02, 2011, 06:43:29 pm »

An element I always found missing from Dwarf Fortress was the inability to raid nearby fortresses/towns and looting the treasures inside. A second element that would be interesting would also be slaves. in town or fortresses you conquer, people knocked unconscious or physically captures (via a option in a possible raid menu that says "take prisoners") your dwarfs will haul them back to your fort and put in a possible slave pen and will be forced to do painful annoying chores around the fort under careful supervision by guards (maybe their ankle could be chained? so they work in a line?) they shouldn't be able to do anything involving craftsmanship/or much skill. You could however draft them into the military but they would have a chance to turn on you and kill dwarfs. The slaves will always be also unhappy all the time. lastly, they could possibly be bought and sold by caravan, or bought by a single dwarf as a servant,cleaner that works exclusively for that dwarf.

Thundawich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Raiding Parties/Slaves
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 07:42:39 pm »

Thats a great idea!!!!!

Having that would be hilariously fun! Slaves would make DF i reckon

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 08:21:36 pm »

The raiding is already planned for the army arc. after the caravan arc and some bugfixing.
*Hugs*

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 09:01:54 am »

The raiding is already planned for the army arc. after the caravan arc and some bugfixing.

Still I want slaves, my dwarfs have better things to do then hull crap around my fort!.
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 09:13:40 am »

deal, another immoral idea i want to see is dog fights as entertainment and a way to finally train up my bloody war dogs. i always have dozens of them in my army but they just suck when a fight starts.
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

undead whales will seriously delay your megaproject.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 09:16:06 am »

Meh. As long as slaves are optional.
*Hugs*

vikingefar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 11:40:29 am »

i like the sugestion, allthough, i feel the need to point out that slaves in the middle ages were not unhappy, they were tended to by their master and more often than not, they were able to buy themselves free after saving up money for some years, AND, more often than not they would NOT take this opportunity, rather they would stay in the embrace of their masters for the duration of their lives. Its a general misconception in our society that slaves = unhappy, this stems from the fact that we place "freedom" above all else in our culture, this is a new thing stemming from the french revolutions and by far not a universal thing in all cultures. allthough i guess if your a farmer that gets kidnapped by some crazy alcoholic dwarf you might be a little pissed yes :-)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 11:42:00 am by vikingefar »

Stormcloudy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 01:38:09 pm »

...The American Revolution started and ended before the French.

But great idea. Would love to see it in the army arc.

vikingefar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 01:55:57 pm »

Well, arguably the idea of individual freedom has roots that stretches back further than the revolutions. Protestantism was a necesarry evil in perpertrating it for example, alot of other schools of thought had their say as well, but yeah.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 08:31:04 pm »

Its a general misconception in our society that slaves = unhappy, this stems from the fact that we place "freedom" above all else in our culture.
No, it stems from how slaves were treated post 1840 in our culture.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 10:05:01 pm »

yeah, like in the bible Exodus 21 pretty much needs to be retranslated with 'slave' becoming 'indentured servant' as our western culture has slaves seen in a far more brutal light then was so several hundred years ago.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 09:14:04 am »

yeah, like in the bible Exodus 21 pretty much needs to be retranslated with 'slave' becoming 'indentured servant' as our western culture has slaves seen in a far more brutal light then was so several hundred years ago.

no :P
that part is only about hebrew slaves.

vikingefar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 04:23:03 pm »

no :P
that part is only about hebrew slaves.

Allso, that part has been rewritten so many times you shouldnt take anything in it for granted. Allso, the bad feelings between Egyptians and Semites were of a racial nature, not societal hierarchy stuff, or that at least arose out of the racial stuff. Alot of the indigenous egyptians were allso slaves and did not suffer from it. Another good example of benign slavery is the Manservant system of the northern countrys in the middle ages. There are examples of it all around the globe in fact. The current Salary-slave system our capitalist society enforces is an example as well, except we dont have a jubilaeus year like the romans or egyptians had. Unsure if the northern countrys had that, anybody know?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 04:28:21 pm by vikingefar »

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 11:35:45 pm »

The current Salary-slave system our capitalist society enforces is an example as well, except we dont have a jubilaeus year like the romans or egyptians had.

Capitalism has no slavery. Slavery is fundamentally different the capitalism. Slavery is the act of subduing a person into work through brute force, and does not allow that person to advance up the social ladder, ever. While Capitalism encourages you to advance up the social ladder, you can quit your job tomorrow and go into a new job, heck you could start your own business. Try doing that in a slave based society.

Largely I am against slavery for popularity and dwarvish issues. Dwarves can build pyramids and magma aquifers, why would a dwarf want to say "WE BUILT THIS!!!!""with the help of the elves", secondly,  It's a very delicate issue, and this game will take flak for having a slavery option.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 12:02:52 am by IT 000 »

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 02:45:33 am »

so? this game is free, it's not like toady is gonna loose his job. also it would be the 1st morality issue for the game yet.

Pages: [1] 2