Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: On making Dwarven citadels....  (Read 5697 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
On making Dwarven citadels....
« on: January 03, 2011, 03:12:17 pm »

I think we all basically want Moria at some point or another.

The question is how to get there. I want the grand entranceways and three z level high rooms.

Seems anytime I try to make something, my fort wealth skyrockets and I have waves of goblin invaders on my hands, or massive waves of immigrants. How is it that people manage the huge projects I see on DF map archives?

How do you survive long enough to make them while fending off invasions, providing for your dwarves and actually constructing the massive megafort itself? (I admit the military is confounding the crap out of me right now).
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On making Dwarven citadels....
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 03:14:34 pm »

Traps. Use the stone for hundreds upon hundreds of traps. Stone-fall traps, cage traps, magma traps.

Litter the map and your Fortress (entrance) with them. No goblin comes through unscathed. Show them the power of Dwarven technology.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 03:16:57 pm »

Your options are two-fold.

1) Figure out military before you go there.  It's a helluva learning curve, but a competently managed military answers a lot of problems.

2) A lot of megaproject builders will do things to isolate themselves.  Embarking on an island or in a secluded mountain valley is a good way to go.  Building a moat around the entire perimeter of the map is another option.  The later means no immigrants or caravans will get through, but neither will an attacking force until you hit flying stuff.  The island embark is your best bet, though.  No invaders (maybe megabeasts, not sure) unless you breach a cavern or sommat.  Just avoid evil oceans and rivers, undead whales will seriously delay your megaproject.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 03:27:50 pm »

1) Figure out military before you go there.  It's a helluva learning curve, but a competently managed military answers a lot of problems.

Ok, has anyone made a good, easy to understand guide? I've read the wiki and it all seems like Chinese with some of the letters left out. I figured out DF pretty intuitively and mastered 40d, including modding, but this is something else entirely....

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 04:08:12 pm »

Am I the only person who didnt have any problems with understanding the military just from reading the wiki?
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 04:22:43 pm »

Am I the only person who didnt have any problems with understanding the military just from reading the wiki?

To be fair it is somewhat more complex than 40d and if you search threads there are a million of them on the military and people asking questions. The ones I've seen didn't really seem to answer my questions, personally. Maybe it's just me *shrugs*

Combine that with DF's high backwards learning curve and well....

Please don't quote me.

morgoththegreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 04:48:26 pm »

How do you survive long enough to make them while fending off invasions, providing for your dwarves and actually constructing the massive megafort itself? (I admit the military is confounding the crap out of me right now).

[INVADERS:NO] and population cap ~60.

mrbaggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 05:21:15 pm »

I worked the military out on Mt own with wiki help

Just ask the occasionL question when you're stuck ( try stuff first) and you'll be fine.

I've lost two dwarves. One two a forest Titan, the other to my first siege (bastard dwarf chased a kobold thief right into them without backup)

On a tangentially related note, is there anyway to stop the zerker rage urist went into?

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 05:27:12 pm »

No sir. I don't much use the scheduling, it feel sloppy to me, but I perfectly understand how to make dwarves mob a target

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 05:29:29 pm »

Danger Room. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

ShinWalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 05:54:41 pm »

Ok, has anyone made a good, easy to understand guide? I've read the wiki and it all seems like Chinese with some of the letters left out. I figured out DF pretty intuitively and mastered 40d, including modding, but this is something else entirely....

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=72006.msg1761897#msg1761897

Hope that helps some! Other questions and answers later in that thread, as well.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 07:23:19 pm »

Build a wall with a roof on top of it to make it airtight. Have an alley (1-square wide) protected by a drawbridge. Have traps before and after the bridge.

1. Bridges, walls and floors are indestructible, so with a raised drawbridge, no enemy can ever get into your fortress, flying or not.
2. Traps will stop some enemies and give you time to react (throw the switch).

Here is a good set-up for the alley leading into your fortress:

I usually build 3 bridges along the narrow passage (only entrance to fortress) and build traps between them. That way, I can raise the internal bridges, have the enemies come in and fall into the cage traps, raise the external bridge, lower the internal bridge, reset the traps, get dwarves back inside, raise internal bridge, open external bridge, and repeat until all invaders are trapped.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 09:49:11 pm »

Oddly enough, I found the wiki very unhelpful until the point where I understood the system somewhat.

Quote from: Truean
Ok, has anyone made a good, easy to understand guide?
Depends on what you want a guide for. The military system is very interconnected, so a guide to everything would either repeat itself a lot or lose people who haven't grasped Part 2 before the guide moves on to Part 3.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 11:40:23 pm »

Your are correct about the need of a decent guide for the military, for both melee, and missile troops. The wiki does seem, to leave out important aspects, of utilizing the military somewhat, but least they try. Do well to volunteer their time.

In version .16, the military is not as bugged, as when it was first introduced.Still needs a little micromanaging, but that's one the thing that adds extra fun.

Basically, there are 2 stages in the military. The first is the militia, where dwarfs, when idle, can at least train basic survival skills. Stage two, is when you have extra labor, that you can start building squads to stand sentry duty, patrol, train.

The schedule inactive, helps to keep dwarfs from goofing off. The alerts, can usher them to safety, while your squads can rush to defensive positions. 1 important fact left out, from info about the squad menu, is if you do set an alert, on the military screen, assign that alert for every month. So if a zombie rhino lizard attacks, then on the Squad screen, you can assign the alert status for the specific squad you need. If the alert is not applied for that month, they will behave as if nothing is the matter.

Alerts take precedence over the Active/training schedule, and inactive schedule, thus the name Alert. Which really helps when Boopy the baby snatcher, and friends try to sneak in, while a squad is training, in the Active/Training schedule, or inactive schedule.
 Just activate the alert,in the squad menu for this type of intrusion, and let Boopy, get a hammer in the mouth, for his sneakiness.

Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 11:53:22 pm »

Your are correct about the need of a decent guide for the military, for both melee, and missile troops. The wiki does seem, to leave out important aspects, of utilizing the military somewhat, but least they try. Do well to volunteer their time.
Frankly all the people who complained about the wiki being unhelpful, when they finally understood their problem, didnt help to improve it. That's why there's always so much stuff to be read between the line on the wiki, because the helpful people who wrote them were a tad bit advanced, took the mundane stuff for granted and didn't mention about them.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.
Pages: [1] 2