Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad - Rising Storm banzai charges your HDD  (Read 24967 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Game should finally be releasing this year. Here's some videos, mostly dev interviews and over-the-shoulder stuff.

Official trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUVoPbmooTo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2PN5J31mlQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVjqDVpBCZQ&feature=related

Some Russian guys interview them (game play starts 50%ish into Part 1.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qynqghmBkFw&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lYtQHyClAQ&feature=player_embedded#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnmEQav1yjw&feature=player_embedded

------

I tried Red Orchestra. I can't say I liked it. Despite the raging hard-on Tripwire has for realism, and how much I appreciate that, the game felt pretty wooden to me. I spent 90% of my first few hours on my belly in a crater while people sniped me with old-timey bolt action rifles. So I kinda wrote it off.

But the list of features for Heroes of Stalingrad sounds so tasty, I can't help but get excited about it. Plus, Tripwire is a great dev house that truly does their own thing, and I never mind supporting them.

From the Steam page:

RO multiplayer taken to new heights: With highly addictive and fun varieties of game-play online, the game will feature everything from quick, brutal firefights, through to more intricate and challenging simulation modes.

Persistent Stats Tracking and Player Progression: Grow in rank, earn medals, improve your abilities, and become a Hero – all visible to the complete online gaming community and embedded within the game.

Heroes: Obtain the ultimate goal and become a Hero online. Heroes inspire friendly troops and strike fear in their enemies. Heroes have access to the best and rarest weapons and equipment, and will stand out visually from the rest of the soldiers.

Stalingrad Campaign: The Stalingrad campaign will feature the multiplayer maps used in a campaign layout recreating the battle for Stalingrad from both the German and Russian sides.

Unique Focus: Take the familiar WWII genre into a unique direction. Far removed from the well-trodden Normandy setting, gameplay is based on fresh scenarios and actions the player has never experienced before. Follow the German army as they assault the city of Stalingrad, to the banks of the Volga. Follow the Soviet army as it holds the city against all the odds then destroys the Axis forces.

First person cover system: Experience the ultimate firefights that a cover system allows, from the immersion of a first person view. Peek or blind fire over and around cover and more.

Squad Command: Command fire teams on the battlefield using an easy to use first person interface. Suppress the enemy, send a fire team to flank them and hit them where it hurts!

WWII weaponry redefined: True to life ballistics, bullet penetration, breathing, adjustable sights, free aim, weapon bracing, photo-real graphics and more, create WWII weaponry that has no equal.

Co-op: Players can connect with their friends and battle AI in multiple game types including the Stalingrad Campaign, Skirmish Mode, and more.

Morale: Experience what it is like to be a soldier in one of the bloodiest conflicts in history and the importance of a soldier’s state of mind and how it can turn the tide of battle.

Exciting Offline Play: Offline play against AI featuring the Stalingrad Campaign, Skirmish mode, and more give the player an exciting and fun environment to learn the game before hopping online.

Competitions & Leader-boards: Compete to obtain unique awards and achievements with players all over the world. The competitions range from shooting range challenges to unique and fun assault courses.

Enhanced Unreal® Engine™ 3: Built on an enhanced version of Unreal Engine 3 the game features cutting edge visuals and features.

Co-op is the big winner there with me, as are alternate game modes. But the persistent stat tracking and all that jazz sounds awesome. I still have some reservations about how much I'll enjoy the degree of realism Tripwire goes for, but with a new engine, perhaps the game won't feel as wooden and dated as Red Orchestra.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 03:33:32 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 06:39:48 pm »

Love the first one, am not looking forward to the required cpu specifications for number 2 :(

I also have a hard-on for realism.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 06:48:21 pm »

In watching game play, the only thing I'm missing is more or less fully destructible terrain. But if the rest of it live up to fun, I can go without that.

The re-envisioning of Tank Commanders, that live and die with their tank and can use either an AI crew or choose human players to fill out their crew....sounds amazing. No more running to get vehicles. No more people hopping in and out of vehicles to confuse or elude you. No more people hijacking your vehicles. No more people who aren't your friends getting in your tank, unless you want it that way.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 06:53:24 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 07:00:44 pm »

Sounds.... sick. Really sick. I love realistic games, and the Call of Duty series has really taken us away from the seriousness of war.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 07:02:28 pm »

You want sick realism? Go watch the videos of the tank commander. FULL ANIMATIONS FOR SWITCHING BETWEEN 4 TANK POSITIONS. MULTIPLE VIEW PORTS IN THE TANK YOU HAVE TO TURN YOUR HEAD TO USE AND LOOK THROUGH. Full animations and timing for all the AI crew. Tank commanding was one place where Red Orchestra immediately showed you it was a different kind of FPS. They've made it even better now.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 07:07:33 pm »

So if you didn't like the first RO, why are you so excited abooot the second one?

I'm just wondering if tanks will be able to run over wooden fences this time around. It seems that since the buildings can be destroyed (arma2 style) fences should be able to as well...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 07:22:52 pm »

So if you didn't like the first RO, why are you so excited abooot the second one?

I know, right? Red Orchestra felt like a step back (I haven't played OST) from what I was playing just in terms of how the game flowed. The realism was great but the levels felt barren and flat, and that combined with a playerbase that has been playing it forever....yeah. Not only was I getting my ass stomped, but I wasn't drawn in either.

The videos I've been watching though seem more like a modern game. More realistic environments, and everything seems to flow better. They've got animations for jumping over walls, level and upgrade schemes for the players, prestige of a sorts, and most of the convention big name AAA shooters enjoy. So it seems like RO has finally caught up to the mainstream in terms of tech. That, plus their commitment to realism and being different, means I think I can finally get into the series.

I've liked TWI since I started Killing Floor, and it's always saddened me that I couldn't get into RO. KF is a side project/money maker and I've wanted to play the game that they are putting most of their time and effort into.

Bottomline though, the fact there will be co-op and lots of offline stuff so I can get familiar with the game, or even just play that exclusively, is what has won me over.

I'm just wondering if tanks will be able to run over wooden fences this time around. It seems that since the buildings can be destroyed (arma2 style) fences should be able to as well...

I think so, yes. I haven't seen it in any videos, but there's destructible terrain of a sort. Fences can be destroyed by an artillery barrage, so I think tanks can roll over them. There's a question relating to that in one of the videos, and Ramm's response was "The problems of one game do not automatically carry over to the sequels."

They don't have destructible terrain at the level of BC2 (haven't played ARMA2). You can't blow up individual sections of a wall. But stuff can get destroyed, and fences are in that. I think it would be trivial for a tank to be able to roll over them. He seemed to stress that it's partly the effort in creating the content, and partly a desire for realism and game play. Smaller, more vulnerable things can be destroyed, larger structures can only get partially destroyed.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 09:41:29 pm »

Yeah, I believe that they said they don't want you to be able to completely level a town because then it would just be an open field with rubble strewn around, so there will be some 'indestructibility' to it, like in ARMA2 (in ARMA2, buildings usually have 2 or 3 'damaged' models, having more and more blown-open walls and floors until it's just a few standing walls with piles of rubble).

Anyways, more interesting stuff. The image is a link, click it

And finally, some Sexy ... sexy cut-away renders of the German tank featured in the game.

In my final tank fight, I’d lost my engine, but my enemy hadn’t bothered to finish me. Immobilized, I swapped to the gunner seat (transitioned by a Mirror’s Edge-style crouch-crawl through the cockpit in first-person), shoved my dead crewmate aside, and scrounged a kill on the turret.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 09:46:51 pm by OzyTheSage »

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 05:01:30 am »

Man I really want to get this.  I doubt it'll beat any big name game just for the simple fact that it doesn't try to cater to the console audience but I still expect it to be awesome.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 06:53:51 am »

Wow! this looks so good!!, anyone have an idea on a release date?, and is there gonna be a beta?
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 07:07:21 am »

This is sick Rod Orchestra: HOS and Combat Mission: Battlefield Normandy both almost at the same time, i guess i will wall myself in my room and play to death.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 08:23:34 am »

create WWII weaponry that has no equal.
This caught my eye. What does it mean? Can we modify the weapons somehow? Will there be TF2-style crafting? Or is this just some kind of mistranslation?

Either way, I think I'll buy this. I feel like playing a newer multiplayer FPS and just don't want to invade Fictionistan.

Is there an exact release date somewhere? All I see is Q1 2011, and considering it is Q1, I'd expect there to either be a more precise date somewhere or them to delay it.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 01:09:49 pm »

This caught my eye. What does it mean? Can we modify the weapons somehow? Will there be TF2-style crafting? Or is this just some kind of mistranslation?
I have no idea what it means. It probably means something more along the lines of "use" WWII weaponry...

Is there an exact release date somewhere? All I see is Q1 2011, and considering it is Q1, I'd expect there to either be a more precise date somewhere or them to delay it.
I have no idea why they have this up. They'd probably release it at the end of quarter 1 or something....

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 01:15:59 pm »

Judging from the part before it:

WWII weaponry redefined: True to life ballistics, bullet penetration, breathing, adjustable sights, free aim, weapon bracing, photo-real graphics and more, create WWII weaponry that has no equal.

They're making the most realistic WWII weaponry that has ever been seen in an FPS. (It'll act and work like it's real life counterpart.)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 01:22:22 pm »

Yes, but the way they word it is very odd. It should have a period after "photo-real graphics and more" and then it should have read "We've created WWII weaponry that has no equal." or something along those lines.

i'm pretty sure you won't be able to create your own weapons. However, people with a higher ranks than you will be able to get better weapons.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12