Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad - Rising Storm banzai charges your HDD  (Read 24991 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad - Loyal soldiers get 20% off!
« Reply #105 on: September 14, 2011, 05:42:58 pm »

In retrospect I think they overshot their production capabilities.

I mean, the list of delayed or cut features kind of makes it clear:

-New vehicles and pure vehicle maps (These is currently one per side, and one.)
-Multiplayer Campaign
-Co-Op Campaign

Combined with the number of things that still aren't working 100% right:

-Tanks and Tanking
-Performance
-Map optimization
-Balance
-Hit detection
-The whole squad system working but being unintuitive and not providing as much information as it sets you up for wanting.

Honestly, one more feature or w/e would have probably seriously screwed up everything else. RO2 has all the bugs of every major FPS release, with twice the features, which means yet more bugs and unfinished content.

Then again I'd rather a dev tried to do too much, and kept working at it, then did too little and just rested on their laurels. Plenty of games undershoot, release, patch up and then move straight to a sequel (*cough* Dungeonsyoufuckingbastards *cough*) If this were any other dev house, I think I'd be slightly more angsty than I am about the state of the game....but I've been down this road with Tripwire before. They aren't going anywhere and I neither am I.

Still, jaded gamer analysis aside, this is one very immersive and gritty shooter that a) isn't modern warfare b) is about Russians and Nazis and c) is as accessible as it is brutal and punishing. Compared to my last big FPS, Bad Company 2, it's far and away a different beast of a game entirely. As reviewers have put it "it's a thinking man's FPS."
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 05:49:58 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2011, 06:03:36 pm »

I just remembered, there's going to be some mods coming out, so those will be fun to try out =p

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2011, 06:13:41 pm »

I wouldn't hold your breath on the SDK. It's never released immediately after with Tripwire, and I think they have a lot of things to deal with before they roll it out. Including Rising Storm.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

mikefictiti0us

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Radio Rivendell
« Reply #108 on: September 14, 2011, 07:07:30 pm »

Damnit. Paypal won't let me purchase the game through my bank account as RO2 only accepts credit cards which I do not have. Would someone be able to help me out by purchasing and gifting the game to my steam account? I'll send the funds to your paypal account prior to the purchase.

Got a friend to do it for me.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 08:23:57 pm by mikefictiti0us »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 14, 2011, 07:09:20 pm »

I am embarrassed to say that this is one of the only refunds I have ever asked for with games. The game looked so good and I am a fan of Tripwire, but what they were delivering a week before going gold was substandard by any standard. I hope that they can finish the product and polish it nicely for it's fans. Nothing would please me more than to regret my refund.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 14, 2011, 07:30:01 pm »

Really? I mean, it's got issues but I don't think it was enough to warrant a refund. The promise is there, and around here we're all used to works in progress. Granted, they were making a AAA bid and you can judge them based solely on that....but most AAA games with problems get the benefit of the doubt. Dead Island sure as hell had.

I'm not trying to deny you your right to a refund or anything, I can even appreciate why. It just doesn't come close to that level of bugginess or bad performance for me. Compared to KF, Day 1 RO2 ran "great."

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 14, 2011, 07:44:55 pm »

Like I said, I am embarrassed but I couldn't ignore my gut feeling. It was spurred on by the community's reaction to the numerous posts of disappointed folks on it's forums. Honestly I couldn't count the number of horrid immature people that said "Go back to CoD noob" when someone would complain about the shortcomings of the game vs the promised features. I complain on their forum because my decision was personal, but I am sure it would have been met with the same reaction. Anyway, I am glad people are enjoying it and wish the best for Tripwire.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 15, 2011, 02:18:21 am »

That's why I don't pre-order games no matter how good it sounds, until I get an extensive demo of the game.

Still, looks promising, I'll probably pick this up during sales, will be much more polished then (I hope).

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 15, 2011, 07:43:40 am »

it will most certainly be well polished by the time it goes on sale. It may also be worth it to a lot of people right now. Most people seem to be having a lot of fun with it and only a small minority of us felt misled.

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 15, 2011, 08:29:34 am »

The game itself is polished to a sheen. The problem are the minor let-downs like the inept tank combat and a few other things. There is a second thing to take into consideration, they gave us a two to three month old build for beta. Basically they showed us a lackluster version so that when we played the full version we would be impressed, and in general it worked. The problem is that many people took the beta to heart, thinking that that was the actual point in development in which they found themselves. In all honesty the content is the same, but everything WORKS. Stats raise appropriately, unlocks and badges, as well as medals and stat increase all work as stated.

The lack of a co-op and mp campaign is true, but I believe that the meat of the game lies within the territory matches. That having been said, I believe they stated that they would come out with a mp campaign by the month's end (maybe I mis read somewhere.). The sdk is apparantly on it's way as well.

Poysky Productions

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 15, 2011, 10:45:08 am »

I don't know how it came to be, but it seems now that developers think it is acceptable to release an unfinished product as well as charge full price for said unfinished game.  That is completely bizarre.

I love Ostfront, but I won't be playing Heroes of Stalingrad for a long time.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 15, 2011, 01:26:04 pm »

Campaign is just a pile of multiplayer maps against retarded bots(that get instant pixel sniping powers at higher difficulty). Bullet travel time is off.  Shouldn't have to lead cc targets by several meters. AI has perfect timing for melee. Suppression occurs for no apparent reason when nobody is shooting at me. AI is retarded, likes to drop grenades at it's feet when taking cover behind the same box as me. No grenade indicator to make up for the above stupidity. Respawn system constantly gives me people standing on a grenade/bleeding out/standing with their back to enemy in close combat. Bullet penetration is off. Sometimes I shoot somebody sitting behind a plank fence, hit a fence piece right in front of him, no damage(using rifle caliber), other times get killed through brick walls. Community is actively hostile towards newcomers. context sensitive pick up/stop bleed/cover button is unresponsive and often takes the wrong action. Game is arbitrary of what is cover and what isn't. Flat out won't start in crossfire. WWII was not fun. Game is very realistic in that regard.

Recommendation based on my experience: Don't buy.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 15, 2011, 03:58:56 pm »

I'd say that's about 60% exaggeration and 40% reality. These things do happen, but not as frequently as you're trying to make out. Suppression is both a physical and a psychological effect. If your team is losing, you get suppressed by many more things more often, like team mates getting shot, grenades blowing up in your vicinity, ect...

WWII was not fun. Game is very realistic in that regard.

Congratulations on spending money on a game you knew you wouldn't like.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 15, 2011, 04:31:16 pm »

I'd say that's about 60% exaggeration and 40% reality. These things do happen, but not as frequently as you're trying to make out. Suppression is both a physical and a psychological effect. If your team is losing, you get suppressed by many more things more often, like team mates getting shot, grenades blowing up in your vicinity, ect...

WWII was not fun. Game is very realistic in that regard.

Congratulations on spending money on a game you knew you wouldn't like.
So tell me, what 60% of the aforementioned problems are figments of my or my computer's imagination? Because I'm fairly sure I ran into all of them.

And I stopped buying games before trying them after Empire: Total war fucked me over by having the demo but not the full game function on ATI cards.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 15, 2011, 04:50:20 pm »

So you yo ho ho'd this one?

Bullet travel time is off.

What game isn't it off in. It works for me enough of the time I haven't started going around telling people their bullet travel times are wrong.

If you want to grouse about the hit detection at close range, on the other hand, by all means. I'll even fill in the parts you miss.

AI has perfect timing for melee.

Matters in the SP campaign, probably about 4 times per campaign. Unless you're literally just running into hordes of bots to do melee. For reference, the AI tank gunners in MP have such deadly accuracy they're patching it down today.

Suppression occurs for no apparent reason when nobody is shooting at me.

Already explained. When your whole team in MP is losing badly, you start getting suppressed easier and staying suppressed longer. It's slightly off in that, if someone a floor above you in a building shoot, you might suffer suppression for it, momentarily. Considering all the system is doing, it's working fairly well, sometimes too well, and still needs some polish.

AI is retarded, likes to drop grenades at it's feet when taking cover behind the same box as me.

I've yet to experience this. Players are far more likely to throw grenades into a window sill. If a bot is priming a grenade and gets shot, they drop the grenade right at their feet.

No grenade indicator to make up for the above stupidity.

I hate to pull this card, but it ain't CoD. Grenades are hard to notice and freaking deadly. I live in terror of grenades now in MP, whereas in Bad Company 2 I was thankful to see one because it told me where the enemy was.

Bots

TWI's bots have always been functional but not outstanding. These bots are an improvement over RO's, and I expect they'll get better over time.

Respawn system constantly gives me people standing on a grenade/bleeding out/standing with their back to enemy in close combat.

Are you talking the campaign or MP? Because in the campaign, you _respawn as one of the bots_. If they were standing next to a German, had their back to them, or were bleeding out when you died.......that's what you get.

In MP you have spawn points and the incidence of spawning RIGHT next to an enemy is fairly low. It still happens under some conditions, and it's a bug/polish point they are aware of. The logic of the SP though is that you will spawn as each one of the bots until they're all dead, and what they're into, you're into.

Sometimes I shoot somebody sitting behind a plank fence, hit a fence piece right in front of him, no damage(using rifle caliber), other times get killed through brick walls. Game is arbitrary of what is cover and what isn't.

A fair point. On other hand, it's not arbitrary. It's calculating round size, cover material and cover depth to arrive at the penetration value. Different weapons have different ammo, different muzzle velocity and therefore different penetration values on different walls and cover objects. Now, I'm not saying it works perfect. It's bugged out for me too on things like fences.

On the OTHER hand, just last night I ran a train on 4 people with an MP-40 because I hosed them down through plaster walls. It works, and it works well, and hopefully after a patch or two, it will always work well.

Community is actively hostile towards newcomers.

There's no defense for this one. They're a bunch of 30+ year old rivet counters, and TWI marketed the game as the anti-CoD, and now every Johnny-Come-Lately is in the forums spouting off CoD insults because they think it's what the community is about. The truth is there are a lot of cool, reasonable people over there that are buried under mounds of ass hats who like the genre but don't bring the maturity with them. And TWI doesn't have a PR manager, so occasionally they start responding to people trolling them and the results aren't pretty. So I guess this one point where I can say it's 100% true. On the other hand, if you walk into a realism shooter forum and start decrying features that are realistic, you'd best be wearing your fire-retardant suit.

context sensitive pick up/stop bleed/cover button is unresponsive and often takes the wrong action.

What action it will take is currently printed on your screen. There are issues with items and fixtures that sit next to any object that can be taken as cover though. You're half right here.

Flat out won't start in crossfire.

True and something they've been grappling with since beta. As a non-crossfire user, it wasn't something I had to deal with.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 04:59:03 pm by nenjin »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12