Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad - Rising Storm banzai charges your HDD  (Read 24842 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad - Loyal soldiers get 20% off!
« Reply #135 on: May 25, 2012, 09:25:33 am »

I couldn't seem to find one in my server list that didn't, or that was at more than half capacity.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 25, 2012, 09:33:18 am »

Having 1 to 3 servers to choose from, that aren't ever even full, isn't much better.

The list of upgrades sounds nice. It'll be interesting to see if they meet what they say they're going to do.

Now I gotta go find some HD space to reinstall it...
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #137 on: May 25, 2012, 01:02:38 pm »

It's the free weekend, and there are TONS of servers that are full. There's at least a dozen at the 64 player limit right now, with lots of others at 40+, 50+. The game also feels like it performs better for me (on a crappy computer), and is more stable. Overall, the UI looks a lot better too, and that makes a bit of difference, believe it or not. Most maps now include tanks as well, whereas they didn't before.

Finally, the players are mostly newbies, so it can get frustrating for more veteran players.

It's also near the top of the "Top Sellers" list, so hopefully there will be plenty of people staying. It's the right time for a free weekend. The original release, as I understand it, was a big flop for the community (if not for units sold).

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 25, 2012, 01:12:18 pm »

It's the free weekend, and there are TONS of servers that are full. There's at least a dozen at the 64 player limit right now, with lots of others at 40+, 50+. The game also feels like it performs better for me (on a crappy computer), and is more stable. Overall, the UI looks a lot better too, and that makes a bit of difference, believe it or not. Most maps now include tanks as well, whereas they didn't before.

Finally, the players are mostly newbies, so it can get frustrating for more veteran players.

It's also near the top of the "Top Sellers" list, so hopefully there will be plenty of people staying. It's the right time for a free weekend. The original release, as I understand it, was a big flop for the community (if not for units sold).

I heard a lot of people who were playing because of free weekend saying shit like they've never even heard of the game. So hopefully this will be popular for a bit again.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 25, 2012, 01:14:48 pm »

What kind of game is it?  I don't know much about it.  I'm guessing something like day of defeat but with an experience system?

Is it the kind of game where I spend 10 mins lying down in a ditch only to get sniped? 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #140 on: May 25, 2012, 01:25:37 pm »

Is it the kind of game where I spend 10 mins lying down in a ditch only to get sniped? 

I just spent at least 3 mins in hole contesting objective because moving anywhere would have meant hailstorm of bullets from snipers and machinegunners. I got mayby 4 kills on the whole round, but that was very boring map. The game is a lot about getting to objective alive and just staying there IMO. Killing just helps capturing it a bit.

So yeah I dont think its like day of defeat but its really fun. Getting kills is awesome in that game because theyre not so common. There are ofcourse good players with like 30-60 kills in a round.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 25, 2012, 01:35:40 pm »

Okay, thanks!
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 25, 2012, 01:40:06 pm »

>Red Orchestra 2 on the top of my must-get-when-cheaper list
>75% off
>3 dollars short because I just bought the thief bundle
dammit

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 25, 2012, 02:02:38 pm »

The Red Orchestra series are supposed to be about realism. The original Red Orchestra had really big maps (not as big as ArmA 2!), and you'd very quickly get tired from sprinting, so you'd use APCs, and all sorts of stuff. I am a stickler for realism, and I think RO2 isn't as realistic as it could be, but it's certainly more realistic than most FPS. The maps are small enough that there's always action somewhere, but definitely do not expect to go in "guns blazing" and kill everyone.

Heck, it's a free weekend, you should just try it out :)

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #144 on: May 25, 2012, 02:25:46 pm »

Yeah RO1 maps were larger, but Im not sure I miss them that much. All that running was a bit annoying.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 25, 2012, 03:20:47 pm »

players with like 30-60 kills in a round.

All day every day

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 25, 2012, 03:23:34 pm »

Yeah RO1 maps were larger, but Im not sure I miss them that much. All that running was a bit annoying.

Yeah, getting around was a pain, but it also allowed for larger-scale tactics, which I really liked. The way RO2 maps are set up, you've got center, then left and right flanks. Sure, they're somewhat varied, but ultimately there's no "strongpoints" such as isolated villages or wooded areas and the likes. This leaves you less room to strategise. You just push center, left or right...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 25, 2012, 04:28:37 pm »

I disagree on that partly. Some maps, yes, they boil down to center/left/right flanks. But Grain Elevator is eminently defensible, if the Russians know what they're doing. Likewise each building in Trainyard is practically a fortress. Same story with several control points on Barracks. Same story with Commisars and a couple other levels. The map that has no real strong points (and that gets played WAY too much) is Spartanovka. That's where it comes down purely to flanking.

The problem with the maps comes in when the teams don't play the objectives. Like on Grain Elevator (pre-patch) the Germans would flank aallll the way around and attack the elevator before there were even objectives there to capture. Which divides the Russian's attention, causing them to lose the forward control points, which makes the Grain Elevator the center of the battle....and two squads of Germans are already on the top floor murdering people who are respawning.

Or on Spartanovka, when the Russians get pushed back from the church, 90% of the team would camp in the City Hall building  and snipe, practically giving the Germans the next two control points for free.

When both teams play like teams the game is awesome. You get the joy of defending and the joy of assaulting. But when teams basically fracture into 20+ people playing lone wolf, shit sucks just like every other modern FPS. (Guys behind your lines, turning corners into people who light you up, that kind of crap.)

I honestly really enjoyed the game, it was just the lack of a strong presence from the community that made me stop playing it. So I'll be stopping by this weekend, probably. Honestly if they've done work on making sure the protected spawn areas and such are sensible now, that'll do a great deal to cut down on the lack of team play and the consequences for it.

The only change that has me going waaaaahhh? is the machinegun buff. It needed to be MORE deadly at range? I was rapeing people using single shots on Pavlov's with the MG months ago, sniping basically the entire length of the map.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 04:37:21 pm by nenjin »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 25, 2012, 04:35:56 pm »

The only change that has me going waaaaahhh? is the machinegun buff. It needed to be MORE deadly at range? I was rapeing people using single shots on Pavlov's with the MG months ago, sniping basically the entire length of the map.

True, except the MG is pretty much always the first thing to be sniped out of any window or spot, and they're pretty limited. Sometimes there's hardcore kill spots, but I think it's pretty realistic.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 25, 2012, 05:09:02 pm »

True, except the MG is pretty much always the first thing to be sniped out of any window or spot, and they're pretty limited. Sometimes there's hardcore kill spots, but I think it's pretty realistic.

Agreed, except on Pavlov's. After half a dozen games doing nothing but playing MG from the Tower of Power control point, I'd go 33-2 or something like that most games. On that map in particular, it takes a professional MG whore that knows where the best spots are to take out an MG whore. The rest of the team is pretty much meat to an MGer on that level, especially when they have clear lines of sight to the Russian spawn point, all sides of the building they're shooting from, and 60% coverage of the nearest Russian spawn point.

On every other map, MGers get wasted. But on Pavlov's in particular, they seem to shine quite bright.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12