Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Offline Pirate Games  (Read 17251 times)

Urist McMalaclypse

• Bay Watcher
  • Physician of Philosophy
    • View Profile
Re: Offline Pirate Games
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 02:01:38 pm »

The Escape Velocity games allow for some space piracy, and I know that EV Nova has a pirate storyline.

Sadly, EV Classic and EV Override are Mac-only, but some generous souls have designed some plug-ins for EV Nova should you want to play the first two games.

Also, anyone who hasn't played the Uncharted Waters series should; I'm enheartened to see that h3lblad3 knows of them.
After a long time of fleeing unsuccessfully, she did what any cornered dwarf would do:  she sucker punched her own baby and then kept running.
Good god man, cats training cats? That's like how every robot apocalypse starts. But with cats.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 02:05:38 pm »

Uncharted Waters New Horizons.
 Play as Otto Baynes.

Bring down the Spanish navy as the best British privateer out there.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 03:26:29 pm »

Aw, man, I always sucked terribly at Uncharted Waters. Even after I got in the habit of pre-loading my ship's crew to all fighting and just sailing up to the enemy captain for a boarding party.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 07:10:08 pm »

Looks pretty cool.

So, I already have DOSBOX and I know how to use it- should I get uncharted waters or uncharted waters 2?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 07:11:36 pm »

Why not both?
*Hugs*

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 08:42:56 pm »

Transcendence, depending on how you like to play, can allow you to act like a space pirate.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 08:47:19 pm »

For a second there I thought this was a discussion about pirating video games
Hello Hunam

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 08:47:57 pm »

In the PC game Independence War 2 the storyline threw you into the role of space pirate.

Excellent game.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 08:52:32 pm »

Looks pretty cool.

So, I already have DOSBOX and I know how to use it- should I get uncharted waters or uncharted waters 2?
Use a SNES emulator, not DOSBOX.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 09:37:11 pm »

Why?

It seems better to play with PC controls rather than SNES controls... At least, when I'm on a keyboard already.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 10:03:22 pm »

I wasn't aware that there was a PC version, and the SNES controls worked out well enough for me.

Ssiissuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 10:26:55 pm »

Actually, the very first Pirates of the Caribbean game was awesome. The only thing it had to do with the movie was the lore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QE7SS2Sf6w

It's funny, (and by funny I mean strange but depressing) I wonder how many people know that this game was known as Sea Dogs 2 until one day the Sea Dogs 2 website was suddenly and mysteriously replaced by the Pirates of the Caribbean website and the Sea Dogs 2 forum completely vanished overnight.

It seems like Bethesda/Disney really got away with this one scot free.

To OP, try hitting up PiratesAhoy. The site focuses on wooden ships 'n pirates, and the forums can be a treasure trove for learning about upcoming swashbuckling titles.

And as to the quoted text above, yes. Many times yes. Disney be damned, the underlying game is great fun. The sequel to Pirates of the Caribbean has an extensive modding community, but to my mind it is not yet as advanced as the modding efforts that have gone into Pirates of the Caribbean. The forums for PiratesAhoy are home to the PotC BuildMod. A massive, and I mean that in every sense of the word, modding project that overhauls the base game in ways that cannot be fully explained, but I'll try. They even gained access to the source code for the base game, even better things are on the way.

Some features off the top of my head:
-New and more realistic Caribbean map.
-Sail from island to island in deck view (not the hokum zoomed out map)
-More realistic sailing, and sailing points.
-Cycling weather
-Cycling time
-Much improved trading system
-Better boarding actions
-A bunch more ships (that perform with a nice dollop of realism)
-Better quests
-More land based locations
-Random encounters
-Romance! (No SM Pirates! dancing and heaving bosoms)
-Multiple main story lines/eras to choose from.
-Overhauled character development.
-Some realism changes, like a fudging of data as to wind speeds and enemy ship info.
-More weapons and other items.
-Ability to fly false flags
-Many new diplo changes, and the situation with the powers in the Caribbean can be quite dynamic as a result.
-Many options that can be customised to preference.
-Many smaller mods are available to bring the experience more in line with your expectations.
-Crew management (food + wages + ability to customize both)

And I just know that I'm forgetting a lot of the excellent features. The BuildMod is buggy, but I've yet to play a game that rivals it. I queue some sea shanties up and then proceed to sail by the deck view only from island to island. Outrunning and outmaneuvering the Hun is just as fun and rewarding as combat is in this game. And the storms, wow. I just wish there were more sail settings to play around with. Give it a look, it might just be what you're looking for.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2011, 11:21:24 pm »

I wasn't aware that there was a PC version...
Not to sound truculent, but it came up before any SNES version for. The PC version is here.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2011, 11:32:48 pm »

That all sounds great.  But I'm curious, did they add back the other playable character they inexplicably removed when they changed the name to Pirates of the Caribbean?

This one;

Also, where the heck would I get this game?

Also also, there's a sequel to PotC?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 11:39:20 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2011, 12:29:22 am »

I wasn't aware that there was a PC version...
Not to sound truculent, but it came up before any SNES version for. The PC version is here.
Not at all, this simply ends the argument before it started to get to the middle. And provides a new opportunity.
Pages: 1 [2] 3