Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Cause of Colony Collapse Disorder found-Apparently they knew about it!  (Read 6828 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: Cause of Colony Collapse Disorder found-Apparently they knew about it!
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2011, 09:38:40 am »

And frankly, you do NOT want to know how much sugar would cost if HFCS were no longer on the market.
I'm no expert on the matter, but doesn't mass killing bees also put the price of sugar up insanely as well?
As well as the fact, you're basically killing off the one thing that procreates your crop.

No bees? No corn. Or wheat.
I can't say that looks good, economically.
So you're disagreeing with the fact that he wants his father to stop selling it because it will kill bees because... you want the bees to live? Like he does?

I don't get it.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2011, 09:43:53 am »

So you're disagreeing with the fact that he wants his father to stop selling it because it will kill bees because... you want the bees to live? Like he does?

I don't get it.
... Oh. I thought the HFCS where killing the bees.
I really should read upwards more.
Wait. What the heck are HFCS?

But yeah, taking the aim away from Nikov's post which I'm still trying to understand right now.
The whole Bee Vs Corn argument earlier, is moot.
You can't have Corn without bees.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2011, 09:48:13 am »

... Oh. I thought the HFCS where killing the bees.
I really should read upwards more.
Wait. What the heck are HFCS?

But yeah, taking the aim away from Nikov's post which I'm still trying to understand right now.
The whole Bee Vs Corn argument earlier, is moot.
You can't have Corn without bees.
The reason you don't understand his post is because he's sharing your reaction to the news. It's generally a new experience to people on this board whenever it happens. :)

HFCS = High Fructose Corn Syrup.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2011, 09:51:14 am »

Isn't most of the corn GM anyways? Meaning it's made sterile so as to preclude farmers being self-sufficient with their seed stocks (and the situation certainly isn't helped by people that think that if it weren't sterile, it would evolve tentacles and come eat them...). Meaning pollination is irrelevant for it.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2011, 09:57:34 am »

The reason you don't understand his post is because he's sharing your reaction to the news.
Then in light of new information, yes, I whole heartedly agree with Nikov there.

Isn't most of the corn GM anyways? Meaning it's made sterile so as to preclude farmers being self-sufficient with their seed stocks (and the situation certainly isn't helped by people that think that if it weren't sterile, it would evolve tentacles and come eat them...). Meaning pollination is irrelevant for it.
Sterile corn means that once that plant dies there are no more.
Sure, you could forcably make more yourself, but that's kiiiind of expensive for the same job. ::)
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2011, 10:45:42 am »

Sterile corn means that once that plant dies there are no more.
Sure, you could forcably make more yourself, but that's kiiiind of expensive for the same job. ::)
Sterile corn means the farmers have to keep buying more seeds every year. Meaning more profits for the company selling it, hence why the engineer it to be sterile.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2011, 10:54:05 am »

Not to mention no environmental institution in the world would allow for GM species to reproduce with the wildlife. We have had enough examples to know that is a bad idea, so while there is an economic reason for making all GM corn sterile know it isn't because they want to make a solid buck, but because they have to.

Unless they are behind the movement wanting to ban GM foods so they can have all sorts of restrictions like sterile crops so they can sell more of it year after year.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2011, 11:32:20 am »

Not to mention no environmental institution in the world would allow for GM species to reproduce with the wildlife. We have had enough examples to know that is a bad idea, so while there is an economic reason for making all GM corn sterile know it isn't because they want to make a solid buck, but because they have to.
(and the situation certainly isn't helped by people that think that if it weren't sterile, it would evolve tentacles and come eat them...)
Not that the agrocorps are complaining, since they get to fuck their customers while smiling nice for the camera.
Pages: 1 2 [3]