Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quick Questions, Upgrading My Computer  (Read 1191 times)

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Quick Questions, Upgrading My Computer
« on: January 11, 2011, 07:42:50 pm »

I've saved up about $500 to upgrade my desktop, as my laptop is now all but dead.  As it stands, I've got about 2GB of memory and a single-core, 2.0gHz processor.  The graphics card can wait to be upgraded, as I don't plan on doing heavy gaming just yet, and would rather wait and buy a stronger card later, than buy a weaker one now.  I have one 80GB hard-drive and one 1TB hard-drive, so I'm not worried about upgrading there either.  I've shopped around a big on NewEgg, and found a mother-board and CPU combo for a decent motherboard and a 6-core, 3.0gHz processor, as well as a 2-pack of 4GB memory sticks that fall well within my budget.  The memory is compatible with the motherboard, and I'm assuming the CPU is as well, since it's bundled. 

As it stands, my computer has the following parts:
Tower/Case - NZX Nemesis
Motherboard - MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-7125 (I think)
Processor - AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Memory - 2x512MB, 1x1GB (2GB total)
Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce 6600LE
Hard-drive(s) - Hitachi HDS728080PLA380 (80GB) and Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 (1TB)
Power-supply - NZX brand, couldn't find a number, about 400W.

The parts I'm considering can be found here:
Motherboard/CPU combo:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.581367
Memory:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311

My question is this, will these parts all be compatible?  Also, should I invest in a better power supply, or can that wait until the GFX card upgrade? (If necessary at all)  As a computer science student I get a free copy of Windows 7, so the plan is to configure it to run Windows and any other background processes on two of the cores, leaving four entirely free for games and/or whatever else I should decide to run on it.  I'm also planning on using my next pay-check or two to possibly invest in a new graphics card, but I'm in no rush there, I just want to have it in before Skyrim is released xP

Thank you for your time.
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Questions, Upgrading My Computer
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 08:07:25 pm »

(insult removed)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 09:01:37 pm by ThreeToe »
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 08:10:23 pm »

Memory - 2x512MB, 1x1GB (2GB total)
Seriously? Mis-matched ram? :x

Also, can't help but point out you have the same gfx card as me right now. Except mine's the GT/TDH rather than LE.
Has yours got the GigaHertz clockspeed?
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 08:14:56 pm »

@Zrk2 - :P Trust me, if I could afford a 6-core, 3.0gHz Intel processor, I would likely have already ordered it and have just asked for help locating a good mother-board to go with it xP

Actually, having read the reviews for the motherboard in that bundle, I'm becoming less and less comfortable with it.  The CPU on it's own is here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103858  So if anyone knows of a reliable motherboard that supports AMD Phenom II processors and falls within the budget, I would be most grateful.  (Ideally one with at least 2 DDR3 memory slots, preferably 4+)

@Fayrik - Heh, it was bare-bones, and dirt cheap, but it's worked quite well so far xP  I didn't check, maybe the motherboard is 3-channel and it was for efficiency's sake? xP

To the best of my knowledge, there's little difference, but I haven't researched it much, since I plan on replacing it when I can afford to do so.
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 08:16:55 pm »

Yeah, I hear AMD is a better bang for your buck, but Intel is better comparatively. And I have decided to carry a burning hatred of AMD so I appear knowledgeable about computers.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 08:19:32 pm »

@Zrk2 - See, I'm a broke college student, "better bang for your buck" is a far more attractive phrase to me than simply "better", as that generally implies a higher price.  The chances of my getting the money together for a 6-core Intel CPU before I graduate are somewhere between slim and none :P

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 08:20:32 pm »

Good combo. I friend of mine have pretty much that configuration (1090t and different graphic card of course).
Now the power supply will be very short once you get your graphic card : that processor will eat 125w alone.
Don't use your old 6600, your power supply wouldn't hold and you have an integrated graphic card anyway.
Both your com and motherboard are fit for over-clocking. Just buy a good ventilator. (take care at your north and south bridge, over-clocking those 6 core may put them under a lot of stress.) .
Don' get anything under 650w once you upgrade your gpu. 800w would better if your graphic card is good.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 08:27:36 pm by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 08:41:08 pm »

If that motherboard is solid, how does this power supply look: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159111

I have some idea how to check if memory or a CPU works with a motherboard, but no idea what-so-ever as far as power-supplies are concerned.

Also, the computer currently has two external fans circulating air, which seems to keep it cool now, but is there any way to guestimate weather or not it'll be enough come time to install the new parts?

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 08:55:39 pm »

Yes, solid in case you use something above a 460 gtx. For instance a 2*460 gtx sli solution.
The motherboard ask for a 24pin connector And the supply provide a 20+4 pin connector, so it's fine. 

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 09:09:14 pm »

Sorry for the endless, near identical questions, but I'm rather paranoid at times.  Just to make sure, with the specs I posted earlier, I shouldn't, at least theoretically, run into any problems with the following parts, barring my screwing up installation or something, correct?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159111
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.581367

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 09:14:35 pm »

Well, no. You may and up having windows on your computer, but as far as catastrophes goes, that's it. ;D

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 09:19:55 pm »

LOL!  Fair enough :P  I may try to dual-boot a linux distro as well, I've got the hard-drive space now, but I play enough games that a working installation of Windows is kinda important, and flawed though it may or may not be, I'm rather fond of the Visual Studio IDE, as much as I loved having Ubunto on my laptop....

Thanks again!!