Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Banned Words  (Read 11150 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Banned Words
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2011, 04:22:16 pm »

I blame lack of attention span. Anything more than 5 words is tl;dr these days.
Except that tl;dr stands for four words and got acronym'd.
I was too optimistic.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2011, 08:09:37 pm »

Honestly though, I'm always wary of grammar nazis and language snobs.
Well, there's already too many words for the activity of "having sex" (since "sex" just means gender), so "conversation" is off the hook ;)
This is kind of an example of language abuse. Gender refers to words, sex refers to people. Sex has been corrupted to mean the same thing as words like fornication, and through Nice Nellyism gender has been caused to have the sex's original meaning. I'm sure we have vast quantities of words for that act, we don't need more. Bring back fornication! Restore sex to its former glory!
This thread has reminded me that I've been meaning to start a topic specifically to discuss the English language.

Those wacky Victorians had so many euphemisms for sex it's hard to form a sentence without using at least one or two of them.
I'm sigging that. Hey look, a new word!
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2011, 06:42:15 pm »

Well, there's already too many words for the activity of "having sex" (since "sex" just means gender), so "conversation" is off the hook ;)
This is kind of an example of language abuse. Gender refers to words, sex refers to people. Sex has been corrupted to mean the same thing as words like fornication, and through Nice Nellyism gender has been caused to have the sex's original meaning. I'm sure we have vast quantities of words for that act, we don't need more. Bring back fornication! Restore sex to its former glory!
This thread has reminded me that I've been meaning to start a topic specifically to discuss the English language.

Not to mention that gender has been changed to mean the same thing as sex. Pretty soon gender will mean sex will mean copulation. Following that the grammatical word copula will come to refer to a participant in the act of copulation.

The conclusion we can draw from this? All language is really sex.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2011, 05:01:38 pm »

They banned Uber...

Isn't that just a german word that is used sometimes?  Meaning Super?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2011, 05:03:48 pm »

Yeah, but uber is overused as in uber-cool, uber-whatever.  Not anymore, but it was really big in my group about 5-10 years ago.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2011, 01:49:58 am »

Not to mention that gender has been changed to mean the same thing as sex. Pretty soon gender will mean sex will mean copulation. Following that the grammatical word copula will come to refer to a participant in the act of copulation.

The conclusion we can draw from this? All language is really sex.
Your first sentence is "Not to mention what you just said.", though you phrased it more clearly than I:

...gender has been caused to have the sex's original meaning.
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2011, 01:57:23 am »

Ah, it is. Sorry. I think I read that as reiterating the original point.

...somehow. I should pay more attention.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2011, 03:00:27 am »

2 things. First, gender is not quite synonymous with sex. Gender is social/psychological, sex is biological. And secondly, everyone here needs to go watch this.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2011, 07:48:27 pm »

wtf are you guys even talking about now?

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2011, 10:37:37 am »

2 things. First, gender is not quite synonymous with sex. Gender is social/psychological, sex is biological. And secondly, everyone here needs to go watch this.
That was funny  :D In my defense, I can only say that my opinions are opinions.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2011, 01:14:47 pm »

2 things. First, gender is not quite synonymous with sex. Gender is social/psychological, sex is biological.
While that may be true, most people I know don't realize that.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2011, 06:10:47 pm »

True, true. In most cases, they're interchangable. But there is a distinction where one is required.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]