Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Banned Words  (Read 11123 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Banned Words
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2011, 04:38:03 am »

And then there are the things people say on Facebook are grammatically criminal. It hurts me to log on sometimes, it does.
Most of my friends on FB aren't like that. Except for my 14-yr old cousin, but she does it in french, so that's pretty funny :)

And beyond all that, inventing words is how a language stays alive. Banning everyone from creating words would only kill the language.
Yes, inventing words is how a language stays alive. I would like to restate that the list is pointing out the "overused, misused, or generally useless" words, not curbing the half million words with less than half as many meanings.
Inventing new words is useful for new objects or concepts. The marketing people call everything they make up a "new concept", though, so they're messing up the language the most. Re-using a perfectly fine modern word and assigning it a different meaning (epic, awesome) for which there already were perfectly good words, is just degeneration.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2011, 04:52:22 am »

This is either people being sarcastic or annoying snobs. And if it's the former, it's not very funny.

Inventing new words is useful for new objects or concepts. The marketing people call everything they make up a "new concept", though, so they're messing up the language the most. Re-using a perfectly fine modern word and assigning it a different meaning (epic, awesome) for which there already were perfectly good words, is just degeneration.

Tell that to "conversation." It used to mean "sex" if one of my high school English teachers is to be believed. I demand that we return it to its original meaning to reverse some degeneration of the English language.

Honestly though, I'm always wary of grammar nazis and language snobs. It's all just a bunch of adults telling kids how not to talk, a bunch of white people telling black people how not to talk, a bunch of rich people telling poor people how not to talk, and various other things. It always seems to line up with the more powerful group using language policing to boss around the less powerful group (barring hatred of political/marketing language such as "the american people" or "xtreme"). And when it's always like that, how can I not suspect that you have motivations other than preventing "degeneration"?

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2011, 04:57:00 am »

stupid article trying to make itself seem better then it really is. HUMANS CAN DO ANYTHING THEY WANT, JUST BECAUSE YOU SAY THEY ARE BANISHED DOESNT MEAN ITS GOING TO BE TRUE.

Gawd.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2011, 05:02:52 am »

Honestly though, I'm always wary of grammar nazis and language snobs.
Well, there's already too many words for the activity of "having sex" (since "sex" just means gender), so "conversation" is off the hook ;)

Also, since I'm an adult white semi-rich intelligent snobistic male, I feel entitled to tell other people how to use a language that's not even my mother tongue.

mnjiman: Caps Lock is now banned.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2011, 05:04:52 am »

I like how they are opposed to English being a dynamic transfer protocal for information from human to human, rather then a strick set of rules for speaking.

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2011, 05:12:40 am »

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2011, 05:14:08 am »

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Honestly, I read that sentance four times trying to make sence of it.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2011, 05:27:31 am »

I think that's the point.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2011, 06:11:31 am »

I'm slightly surprised that they take exception to using 'google' as a verb. I 'google' something at least once pretty much every day. Why would I want to say 'look it up using google' instead of 'google it'? Besides, that's been in the public lexicon for years now. Whining about it now just makes them sound like old fogies.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2011, 06:23:33 am »

If literature buffs object to making a noun into a verb, they must have had a heart attack reading the works of Shakespeare.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2011, 06:24:31 am »

Tell that to "conversation." It used to mean "sex" if one of my high school English teachers is to be believed. I demand that we return it to its original meaning to reverse some degeneration of the English language.

Those wacky Victorians had so many euphemisms for sex it's hard to form a sentence without using at least one or two of them.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2011, 12:21:43 pm »

I think that's the point.
I'm not entirely sure what polearms have to do with this discussion.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2011, 03:24:56 pm »

I'm not entirely sure what polearms have to do with this discussion.
There's no polearm named "point", AFAIK. As there are lots of polearms with strange names, I'm not 100% sure, but fairly sure that there's no such thing. Your new meaning is banned. :D

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2011, 04:22:27 pm »

I meant the end of one.  I'm not sure what crazy metaphorical term you're trying to derive from the innocent sharp end of them.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2011, 04:36:53 pm »

Whoa whoa!
Quit being so on edge!
*Hugs*
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5