Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chasm critters dying without apparent reason[33f]  (Read 403 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Chasm critters dying without apparent reason[33f]
« on: December 15, 2007, 06:47:00 pm »

I have a chasm on my new fortress, and I in the very beggining I noted that chasm critters (mainly naked mole dogs and antmen) were dying for apparent no reason. It looks like they aren't falling, and I couldn't see what was killing them. I don't know if it is a bug or feture though - maybe they are dying of hunger/thirst;

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Chasm critters dying without apparent reason[33f]
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 07:00:00 pm »

I've seen this happen in 33c with ratmen and couldn't figure out why it happened.  I thought that Iron Men might attack other creatures but it doesn't seem to be the case.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 03:02:00 am »

I had this happen in my first fort, not sure on the version.  Some of the creatures were stuck on inaccessible ledges along the chasm, so I think they may have been dying of hunger/thirst.  I'd scroll along it and every now and then see a ball of miasma.
Also, the cave river gradually swept all the frogmen/lizardmen/mudmen to their doom.  I lucked out hard there, because my poorly designed and defended for would've folded like a house of cards if enough creatures had started coming up.  The single frogman that survived the rapids managed to kill several dwarves as it was.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 03:53:00 pm »

Maybe they are dying of old age, as someone told me. Chasm critters usually have a short life span, and as they don't reproduce, most tend to die in a few years. I would like to see this changed, though.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 04:10:00 pm »

maybe they spawned right above a chasm tile and fell down ?
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 04:15:00 pm »

No, they were previously in small caves on the sides of the chasm.