Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: The Bay12 72-Hour Roguelike Contest - February Theme: "The Director"  (Read 15221 times)

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile

Hello, fellow forumgoers! It seems a bit early to announce this, but whatever, we'll have more time to plan and garner attention.

So, I'm assuming you've all heard of a 7-Day Roguelike. If you haven't, it's exactly what it sounds like- attempting to program a roguelike in a week or less. They don't come out finished, and definitely not polished, but the idea is just to get your code moving (and also to a fairly "playable" state).

Anyway, this is the same thing as a 7-Day Roguelike, only with a smaller time frame- three days, or 72 hours. Throughout the month of February, post in this thread to mark when you're starting, and again when you finish (remember, you can keep working on these after the contest if you want; but the "entry" version is whatever you have 72 hours after your "starting" post). Then, send me your finished product, and at the end of the month I'll post a listing of everything, as well as some accolades for particularly brilliant aspects. I will be participating, but not awarding myself any accolades.

If enough people are interested, I'll see about making this a monthly thing. For now, though, here are the guidelines for February:

----------
Contest Administrated By: me, biag. PM if you have any questions, or if you want to help out!
Entry Deadline: I'll be accepting entries from midnight February 3rd to midnight February 28th, Central time. PM me a download link (for a good file host, I recommend Mediafire).
Theme: the player as a "director" rather than having complete control. I.E., Dwarf Fortress. :P
     Specific Guidelines:
          -The player must provide orders for units, rather than having direct control.
          -The player should generally have multiple units available.
          -Guidelines are flexible; above all, try to make something you want to make! This is mostly a starting point.
Additional: not required, but when you put up your "Finished!" post, it would be neat if you also posted any interesting problems you came across and how you solved them. You may be as open or secretive about your development as you wish.
----------

Any questions? Post them here, or PM me! Any suggestions? Post them here, or PM me! Interested in signing up? Post here! Don't PM me about that one. :P

Tutorials, Tilesets, Libraries, Etc.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some Questions That Will Probably Become Frequently Asked
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 10:04:40 pm by Biag »

salmonjockey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 72-Hour Roguelike Contest - February Theme: "The Director"
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 07:26:38 pm »

Nice work getting this going. I'm up for this (obviously).

I'm guessing its ok for multiple people to team up? If things work out, I might have a friend draw a simple tile-set and forgo the ascii.

It's nice to have some time to ponder about what, exactly, I'll do. River Crocodile Simulator? Turnip Processing Factory Tycoon? Dragon Harpooning Squad? Dwarven Bar Brawl Mayhem?

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 09:13:38 pm »

Are there any plans to get a list of resources set up? Tutorials, libraries, and possibly fonts/graphics could be kept in one place to help people get started. And I have a font based off of DF's curses_640x300 I am working on, and would like to share...
Eh?
Eh!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 10:35:03 pm »

Sounds fun; I may give it a try if I can fit it in sometime. Unfortunately I have a rather complex 2d puzzle-platformer group project due in 6 weeks with code which has barely been started on, so my spare programming time may be a bit short. If I were to split the 3 days up into 1 day per weekend for 3 weeks I could probably churn out something interesting. Not sure if you would consider that valid or not though.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 10:53:36 pm »

I'm guessing its ok for multiple people to team up?

Yeah, that'd be fine. I'm thinking tilesets and music are okay to be done outside the 72 hours, as long as you're willing to share the materials with the rest of the group under some sort of open license.

Are there any plans to get a list of resources set up? Tutorials, libraries, and possibly fonts/graphics could be kept in one place to help people get started.

The Roguelike Development Megathread (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=30113.0;topicseen) has more resources than I could possibly hope to put up here; however, it's a bit intimidating. I'll put some of my favorites in the OP- feel free to suggest more!

If I were to split the 3 days up into 1 day per weekend for 3 weeks I could probably churn out something interesting. Not sure if you would consider that valid or not though.

Eh, I'm a softie and it's just for fun. Go for it! Good luck with that project. :)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 01:44:53 am »

It's still 51 characters short of completion, but here is a font I have been working on. All but the two dwarf faces were created, pixel by pixel, by me in MSPaint, and I don't mind if it is used/modified/whatever for any games made for this, although the chance of someone using text in addition to an engine that supports arbitrary fonts from image files is slim...

A main goal has been to eliminate the cases where a character is invisible because it has the same foreground and background colours.

Eh?
Eh!

salmonjockey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 07:59:32 am »

Quote from: Biag
Can I reuse code from previous projects?

The traditional answer is "Everything must be typed within the time frame." However, I'll give a little leeway, since you only have three days. So, the official answer is that Everything Must Be Typed Within The Time Frame, and you're free to interpret that however you want.

I've seen various competitions go to all sorts of lengths to ensure that everyone write their stuff "within the time frame". One of them said that you could use pre-made code as long as the code was freely available before the competition started. Which led to a bunch of people releasing "Game Library Specifically Created By Myself For Myself With No Documentation v 2.9". A relaxed attitude is much better.

My own take on this is that when I submit my entry, I make it very clear what code I did and didn't write as part of the competition. I'm working on some nice network stuff that may enable me to submit a multiplayer entry. And if I do, I will state that the multiplayer portion of my entry is greatly aided by pre-written code. At least it sounds fair to me, and I don't object to others doing likewise.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 09:50:41 am »

I'll join once I have more game-making experience than tic-tac-toe. So far I can only manage strings, math, loops, functions, classes, a little text-file IO, and that's it.
Next up is Tetris... going to be quite a bit more advanced(expecting 500-1000 lines of code instead of <200). I'll finally start with direct keyboard input, too.
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 10:34:43 pm »

This sounds fun. I'm going to set aside a weekend now.

Expect something with lots of explosions.
[PERMITTED_JOINT:100] (It's a maximum number per day. This is the elven setting)

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 03:54:56 am »

Code: [Select]
thread.follow()
not sure if i'll join or not...
i've been doing all my programming on linux lately, and something like this would be a great motivation to delve more into the C/C++/SDL that i've been toying with... but i'd end up with a 64-bit linux binary... i might look into cross-compiling between now and february though...

EDIT:well... that was, fairly easy... install the right packages, then spend an hour and a half haggling with compiler flags; but, it works! successfully compiled an exe for Windows from the same source used for Linux (well, a couple minor tweaks, but nothing that broke Linux compiling)

that said, i'm not sure how much free time i'll have come february...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 10:07:17 am by SolarShado »
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 11:38:44 am »

I want to see what all you guys do ... following.

Edit: Might be a daft question, but I have just started playing around with Python, and have a spare weekend in which this would form a wonderful diversion.

Due to my limited experience I could only manage something though if I used libTCOD for displaying / key handling / mouse handling etc. is this sort of thing allowed?

I am hoping that a lot of thought and creativity might enable me to use endless 'if' functions and a couple of classes to do something interesting.

(interestingly enough the project I am currently stumbling through / spending my time on fits quite neatly in to the proposed competition title, so would probably look to re-code this based on my current learning curve)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 01:19:32 pm by mendonca »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 01:10:30 pm »

a libtcod like option for java developers: http://slashie.net/libjcsi/
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 02:39:44 pm »

Well, I just started on one, but won't ever in my life have 72 consecutive hours to complete it. Does it count if I add them up? ;)

It's also my first attempt at something like this, so I'm not officially competing, but just "posting to follow".

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 02:52:29 pm »

Due to my limited experience I could only manage something though if I used libTCOD for displaying / key handling / mouse handling etc. is this sort of thing allowed?

Oh, absolutely! Any freely-available libraries are perfectly fine to use. I'm pretty limited to libtcod myself; at some point I've gotta learn that stuff, but not now.

a libtcod like option for java developers: http://slashie.net/libjcsi/

Looks pretty legit! I'll link in the OP.

Well, I just started on one, but won't ever in my life have 72 consecutive hours to complete it. Does it count if I add them up? ;)

Only if they're all in February. ;)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 03:56:12 pm »

Libtcod works a lot more intuitive than curses, I found in the hour that I tried both. I like it, thanks for that tip!
Also, a C++ libtcod tutorial (few mistakes and it's upgraded since then, but still nice to see a lot of features being addressed): http://code.google.com/p/thecave/wiki/toc

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10