Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: How did you learn about DF?  (Read 7941 times)

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: How did you learn about DF?
« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2011, 05:35:18 pm »

wikipedia>wikipedia game genres>rpgs>roguelikes

Sever months later I found tvtropes.

tvtropes>roguelikes>dwarf fortress.

Several months later I was looking for a game to kick my ass and I wasn't disappointed. Plus it was damn fun too.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 03, 2011, 07:18:09 pm »

I heard of it on another forum, and didn't really look for it, but then I found it on ModDB by accident and thought " I think I'll try this game, it sounds pretty cool."  It was.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 04, 2011, 12:51:37 am »

I just stumbled upon it looking for rogue likes about 4 yrs ago
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Unnoskol

• Bay Watcher
  • Stryk teh erth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 04, 2011, 04:00:40 am »

It was back in 07 when Yahoo! Games posted an article about indie games. One game that was featured there was DF. (There was another that I wanted to try, it was about clouds. Sadly, I never found it again Maybe you know, guys?) I was intrigued, so I downloaded it. I didn't have my own PC where I was staying then, but the proprietor of the internet cafe I went to was kind enough to let me save it in one of the computer terminals. Thing was, for some reason or another I couldn't ave my progress. So every day for a couple of months I played DF FROM SCRATCH. But I loved the game.

And I made progress too. I farmed from sand plots. I made extensive dirt roads. I was even able to trade from the first caravan that appeared. But then after an hour or two I had to get back home, so I would log off, and the next day I'd start all over. Finally that terminal i played from got infected by a virus and had to be reformatted, and I set DF aside.

So then in 2010 I went back to my hometown, where I have my own PC. I thought, "Maybe I should play DF again." So I did. I downloaded 31.12, started a new game, and promised myself to keep playing that fortress until it got overwhelmed by elves, goblins, or whatever monsters that came along. Been maintaining it ever since.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 04, 2011, 04:06:48 am »

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2011, 04:25:10 am »

My girlfriend introduced me.

Best girlfriend ever.
I must have your girlfriend!
NO!

SHE'S MINE!

ALL MIIIIIINNNNNEEEE!

And TMoM's
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2011, 04:36:02 am »

She's TMoM's gf and I'm going to bruise peoples faces IF THEY SAY OTHERWISE!

I got introduced by a let's play, I think it was JefMajors first Dwarf Fortress LP.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2011, 04:45:29 am »

(Reads the reasons)

Meh, I first learned about DF because I wanted to use the computer and couldnt figure out how to close the damn window that said DF on it, "What is this crap and why cant I close it." Bro "Its a game about drunk little critters, and you have to exit out through the menu." ... the rest is not important.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2011, 04:56:52 am »

She's TMoM's gf and I'm going to bruise peoples faces IF THEY SAY OTHERWISE!
OTHERWISE!

*Face gets bruised*
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #114 on: May 04, 2011, 05:08:43 am »

The bethsoft forums. A freeware game thread, IIRC. The first time, I couldn't figure out how to do anything, gave up, deleted it. Second time, the link came with a link to the wiki. Followed the tutorial there, loved it.

outofpractice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 04, 2011, 08:27:04 am »

Is it bad to say 4chan?

I only go to /tg/ i swear.   ::)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]