Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: How did you learn about DF?  (Read 7895 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you learn about DF?
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2011, 08:40:16 am »

Dunno where i heard about it the first time but for a loooong time i was pretty darn sure the whole game is a hoax and any eventual "download" is the new windows optimizer (the absolute lack of graphics sure helped me believe in this).

And just a few months ago i stumbled into an article about the game in my favourite periodical about games and decided to download it.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2011, 10:38:06 am »

Dunno where i heard about it the first time but for a loooong time i was pretty darn sure the whole game is a hoax and any eventual "download" is the new windows optimizer (the absolute lack of graphics sure helped me believe in this).

And just a few months ago i stumbled into an article about the game in my favourite periodical about games and decided to download it.
Wait, Dwarf Fortress isn't a hoax? It actually exists?!

*downloads from home page*

Oh my god, all this time I thought this was an RP forum where people acted like there was this crazy super-detailed game about Dwarves... I need to go lay down...
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2011, 10:49:20 am »

Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

Chromasphere

• Bay Watcher
  • UUUUU,.,..,..,U,.""T"T"T"T""T
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2011, 11:39:47 am »

Oooh, let's see.  That was a long time ago ( I'm a legendary lurker... errr...was...).  I was sick of all the superficial crap being put out on the games market and was searching for anything with the depth I wanted.  With little success, I started to reminisce about that very specific feeling I got from playing rogue-like games.  So I started googling ascii games and up popped DF.  I tried it out and have played very few other games since.
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by tantrums, starving hysterical naked,
    dragging themselves through the dwarven streets at dawn looking for a helpless cat"-Vaftrudner

"We aren't customers or investors - we're spectators tossing donations into the coin box while watching someone build their work of art"-Psieye

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2011, 11:47:18 am »

Somebody told me about it on AIM back in the 2D days, so I downloaded it, took one look at the interface, and decided I'd try to tackle it later.  A looooooooooooong time after that, I was reading through 1d4chan and found an entry on Dwarf Fortress, which linked me to the story of Boatmurdered.  After reading through it, I decided to give the game another chance and I've been playing since.  The identity of the original person who told me about it is still a mystery, though. o_O

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2011, 11:53:01 am »

I believe someone mentioned it on the ToME forum (Rogue => Moria => Angband => ZAngband, PernBand => ToME)
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2011, 12:18:14 pm »

I had stumbled into numerous DF threads on a bunch of forums, and the randomness of it all seemed hilarious, but not yet interesting enough. Then someone posted a link to -- you guessed it -- Boatmurdered. 'Nuff said.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2011, 12:21:57 pm »

I think reading boatmurdered was what brought me to DF.  Not sure where I found out about boatmurdered though...
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2011, 02:39:53 pm »

i was on a search for management games, googled and then i found about DF

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2011, 02:51:44 pm »

I think I was doing a search for freeware games on tigsource.com and came across DF and figured it looked interesting enough to try.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2011, 04:45:44 pm »

Got a copy of DF from this freeware cd that came with a gaming magazine. Version was out of date so I downloaded the new one.... took 5-6 attempts before I had any idea what I was doing.

Korgus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2011, 04:57:08 pm »

Kingdom of Loathing's /hardcore chat channel.
F*** your pointy ears I've my dwarves inside.
And f*** your wooden swords I've my dwarves inside.
F*** your bins of cloth I've my dwarves inside.
If you're looking to be killed I've my dwarves outside.

the Dregs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2011, 09:01:55 pm »

Something Awful DF threads back before Boatmurdered. They got me into it pretty early.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2011, 09:04:45 pm »

Stumbled upon a comic comparing the difficulty curve of Dwarf Fortress to other games, and the satisfaction that mastering the game gave. Asked a few people in Kingdom of Loathing's /newbie, heard bad things, and checked it out.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2011, 10:30:10 pm »

One of the webcomics that isn't on my regular reading list.  I think it was three panel soul, somebody's avatar is a picture from it.  I think it was the first time I'd seen that webcomic and I was reading through the archive.  There were two or three comics about DF that I thought were pretty funny, so I clicked the link and downloaded it.

I quit when I couldn't figure out how to build a farm or cut down trees.

At some point, people on WoW's OT forum were talking about it, probably comparing different games and it came up.  I mentioned that I'd played it before but just couldn't get into it, and they told me to try again and read the wiki.  So I tried again and read the wiki.  I still don't play it all that much(I'm boring and don't like fun) but now I know how, and I probably do play it more than any other games, since it's so easy to just open up, build a little, and have my creative fix satisfied.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8