Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: How did you learn about DF?  (Read 7957 times)

TurnpikeLad

• Bay Watcher
  • maybe this time
    • View Profile
Re: How did you learn about DF?
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2011, 08:32:46 pm »

I saw the thread on the Penny Arcade forums back in summer 2006, tried the game, was hooked.  I registered on the Something Awful forums because of their DF threads.
Adon * Amil * Orethan

Xenxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2011, 10:16:32 pm »

I was on another forum long time back on toolkitzone.com (rpg making community) and it was brought up in some thread. I was curious so I googled it and voila I have been a fan ever since.

I really need to actually make an rpg I have been a member of that site since 2006 with about 500 posts or so

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2011, 11:31:40 pm »

A friend of mine told me about this game where you organize some dwarves and set up fancy traps to destroy them with magma, but it doesn't have graphics. So I tried it, but then I was all "fuck this the user interface sucks".

Six months later, I was immensely bored at work, then I stumbleupon'd the Mermaid thread. I was overwhelmed at what an amateur I was at being evil* in games. I knew I had to learn the game. So I worked my way through TinyPirate's tutorial, then the rest is history.

*Now, of course, I realize the mermaid example is not about evil at all: it's about indifference. You don't want the mermaids to suffer, nor do you want them to not suffer. Air-drowning them is simply the most effective way of killing them, and force-breeding them is simply the most effective way of getting a renewable supply of precious mermaid bones. Therefore, you do it. If you can. Which you probably can't.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2011, 11:50:30 pm »

Referred by friend over a round of table-top DnD.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2011, 01:29:05 am »

I found it through Gaming.stackexchange.com when the majority of the questions were dwarf fortress based. Some of the questions were outrageous enough that I found my way into the wiki, and from there, Boatmurdered. I was hooked.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2011, 02:01:02 am »

I'm not really sure of the exact point of origin...but I do remember starting to read about Cacame (Dude was called the Immortal Onslaught! I had to know why....) and ended up liking the insanity of it all throughout here...

I came because of an awesome Elf, I stayed for the Dwarven humor...and the killing...and Cat biscuits...and the...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 02:06:43 am by Kobold Troubadour »
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2011, 02:35:13 am »

A friend of mine said he had played a game called Dwarf Fortress and recommended it to me, I eventually looked it up and downloaded it. Was so amazing I can't express in words how excited I was; all the possibilities, the things you can do, the fortresses you can build... and there's such a strong community built around it it's not hard finding people who share your sentiments towards it. Dwarf Fortress is one of the greatest games ever created.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2011, 07:07:18 am »

I don't remember.  It was probably RPGCodex as that was the site I usually visited a lot before I started visiting this one a lot.  Or maybe it was some indie game article somewhere.  Or maybe it was an indie game article linked to on RPGCodex.  All I really remember for sure was that it was a few months before 3D.

It's funny, I never read boatmurdered.  I just decided that the game sounded awesome enough that the ASCII graphics could be tolerated if it was as good as it sounded, and it was.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 07:09:51 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2011, 07:48:35 am »

On the Poll of the Day board at GameFAQs. There was a thread about hardcore games. A few people started discussing DF. A few guys mentioned they tried it, but the game was too difficult for them to learn. Naturally I had to try it.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Wellincolin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2011, 07:52:28 pm »

Well, I learned it through something I can't mention. Let's just say it's like an anonymous forum for random discussions. And no, it's not the one you're thinking right now.
"The WereAss collides with The Ostrich Cock!
The Ostrich Cock is knocked over and tumbles backward!

The Ostrich Cock is no longer stunned.
The Ostrich Cock stands up."

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2011, 09:11:17 pm »

Television Tropes and idioms! It had a bunch of stories of awesomeness, depth, and goblin AI exploitation, all wrapped up with promises of charming ASCII display(which I personally can't get enough of; gotta love the abstract). I was scared off by promises of it kicking my ass.

I decided that it would be funny to get my ass kicked so me and my friend could laugh at it. Been a fan ever since! I'm about to get a job and get donating money too!
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2011, 12:48:27 pm »

I think I saw it mentioned on the Wesnoth forums first. Then after I saw a solid recommendation on the Angband forums I had to give it a try. I think that was back in '06 or '07. I remember sitting at my computer next to my brother on his laptop both of us trying to figure everything out. When trying to figure out farming I accidentally drowned the whole fortress. He was so enthralled he did it to his too. Good times.

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2011, 03:13:12 am »

My crazy high school friend gave it to me(I'm in uni now hence spare time to play df), as well as recommending boat-murdered, i played for a few months, gave up, 12 months later i actually read boat murdered, tried again with more success,, found the forums, then the wiki, but i knew most of the game by the time i found the wiki :/
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a man with a butterfly.

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2011, 05:03:16 am »

"So, Bigf00t, what brought you here?"

Why, I'm GLaD you asked.
Who can you blame for my presence here? Gaming Mags. Quite a few years ago I got a gaming mag which had DF on the disk. (Along with some other "rogue-likes"). I am only now grateful that my entire first expedition was eaten by bloodthirsty CARP.

I promptly decided to play something else, like www.asciisector.net, Ahh much easier.
Little did I know that DF possessed a gravity-like pull. What goes away always comes back.
About 2-3 years later I remembered that super hard game I'd played, and decided that a tutorial would greatly assist.

Then I found Boatmurdered.

Nuff' said.
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2011, 05:30:49 am »

TV Tropes
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8