Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: What Happens When You Give Cats [CAN_LEARN]  (Read 14294 times)

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What Happens When You Give Cats [CAN_LEARN]
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2011, 11:38:09 pm »

It's also worth mentioning that any tame creatures with [CAN_LEARN] (or again it might be [CAN_SPEAK]) living in your fort are sort of psuedo dwarves. They need to drink water when tamed, unlike all other animals. Their offspring are also seen as viable targets for kidnapping by goblin snatchers. One of these animal can even potentially become mayor of your fortress.

"Stray Mayor (Tame)" was the best mayor ever.

Also, applying [PET] to other speaking & learning critters gives interesting results...  Tigerman cubs skip the baby phase and go straight to child; tamed gnomes ignore their babies with disastrous results.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Hivemind

• Bay Watcher
  • PEEKABOO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2011, 03:52:40 am »

Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers then let loose the horses with their hooves of (actual) steel. xD

Add a resistance to heat and ability to breathe in magma. Send the kittens to hell, and have them take over.
Socks.  Lots and lots of socks.  It's the greatest Dwarven vice of all, outstripping alcohol by several orders of magnitude: the desire to own and haul as many feet-warming tubes of cloth as possible.
It's the tent of Hilarious Flying Shenanigans!  Everyone's favorite circus.

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2011, 08:28:26 am »

You know, this thread inspired me to experiment. 

All I did was add [Trainable] to Tigermen and luckily for me, the elven traders brought me some tigerman slaves in the spring!  :o
So I trained them into war Tigermen and started working on my fort.

I then get the 'THIEF! ...skulking filth!" message and this is what I saw on inspection:

Basically she breaks the kobold's shoulder with an arm lock, then breaks the foot with an ankle lock, smacks him and then stabs him to death with a crossbow bolt that was stuck in his body.

So I thought to myself, "Man... elves captured you?"

I wanted to do something special for her since it did such a good job, and then I noticed that my dwarves made her the mayor! :D

Unfortunately I embarked in a saltwater area and I noticed that there is only one place that my tigermen will drink and that is the small river U-bend on the max northeast corner of the map.

Anyone know a way I can get them to drink desalinated water underground?   

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2011, 08:52:33 am »

Anyone know a way I can get them to drink desalinated water underground?
You can either build a pump-powered desalination plant (pump filling a cistern made completely from constructed walls and floors) although in my experience those only seem to work reliably if all the water is above the level of the ocean.  Or, you can dig down deep enough to find cavern water, which should be freshwater.  Unfortunately, tigermen don't seem to drink from wells.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]