Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Night Creatures Are Assholes  (Read 5583 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Night Creatures Are Assholes
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 05:57:40 am »

I want to know about Ozran Tunnelednight. Is she a dwarf, is she a nighcreature, was she in the human culture, did she live in a cave? What happened to this poor wretch - and to her brother? What lives did they lead?

vipre01

• Bay Watcher
  • asdf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 07:23:15 am »

I want to know about Ozran Tunnelednight. Is she a dwarf, is she a nighcreature, was she in the human culture, did she live in a cave? What happened to this poor wretch - and to her brother? What lives did they lead?

Receiving the beautiful genetics that her parents possessed, Ozran Tunnelednight appeared to be humanoid with the exception of a couple (minor) details: she had three eyes, a long swinging truck, and waxy skin colored charcoal. She was born in the year 18 and scored her very first kill at the tender age of thirty-four (year 52). They grow up so fast don't they? Following in her parents footsteps, Ozran would continue to reign destruction and end lives. Love would eventually find Ozran when in year 68 she would abduct Ngathi Chunkreleases and have their first and only child together: a daugther named Oce Dieburials the Fatal Grave. Awwwww, let me tell you folks, that's what life is all about right there.

It is unfortunate, but Ozran would never get the chance to experience her daughter's first kill as Ozran was struck down in the year 72 only months after baby Oce's fourth birthday. Ozran is survived by her husband Ngathi, who has been seen killing even in the year 1050 and has a sweet bachelor pad, and her daughter Oce, who also unfortunately passed away in the year 432.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 09:04:28 am »

I wuld like it more if every monster in the world wasn't immortal.

Dagoth Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 10:31:32 am »

Vipre01, I share your passion! Could you please upload your world, give the params or anything, so that I can learn more? xD
I get the overwhelming urge to make a family tree starting  from Nemile 8D What happened to his two first children, Ile and Camela? Did they even meet their half-sibling Ozran? The horror, the horror... xD
- "Very well. If you are impatient to begin. Go ahead. You are the challenger. To you goes the first blow." -

Chromasphere

• Bay Watcher
  • UUUUU,.,..,..,U,.""T"T"T"T""T
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 11:24:49 am »

Yeah, I do that too.  You can dl 'myheritage' family tree maker for free and use that to create all the relations etc.  It works great.
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by tantrums, starving hysterical naked,
    dragging themselves through the dwarven streets at dawn looking for a helpless cat"-Vaftrudner

"We aren't customers or investors - we're spectators tossing donations into the coin box while watching someone build their work of art"-Psieye

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 03:22:28 pm »

Well yes. Dwarf fortress isn't a game, it is a standard. Two people made a game more detailed then anything that any main stream company has ever made. Dwarf fortress is to show people what to demand from games, and not accept anything less.

That's not to say every game should be a prodecualy genned RTS, but every game should put unholy levels of detail into there world, as to let immersion overwhelm us.
Although how cool would it be to have a procedurally generated RTS? You don't even know what units or races will be available each time you start it up.

You'll hit new game and say "What the hall are Aquafrenacticans?" and then you'll click it and it will be some crazy desert dweller race which rip the water from people's bodies and uses salt and alchemy to build giant walking war machines and you'll be like "Woah Aquafrenacticans are the bomb."

And next time there will be something else.

A proceedurally generated RTS would be interesting to say the least.  I'm currently working on a semi-random semi-procedural semi-RPG flash game (there's no randomness to the gameplay, just some randomness in the setup which runs once and is saved).

When I'm done I might look into a fully procedurally generated RTS.  I'd keep unit names somewhat consistent to the expected usage of a unit.  E.g. high-damage, high-armor, slowish units would be "Bombers."  The fast, low damage units would be "Fighters."  The anti-swarm unit would be "Missile Frigates."  Etc.  So fighters will always kill bombers, bombers always kill frigates, and frigates always kill fighters.

AI War: Fleet Command almost falls into this category, but the unit types are all hard coded, which special unit you have is your choice from a small selection.  So it's almost a random unit, except that if you see it again, its the exact same.

I didn't know it was commonly called cave story, I have always called it doukutsu monogatari, and my freinds have always known what I was talking about.

The internet is not your friend. ;)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 03:27:41 pm »

A proceedurally generated RTS would be interesting to say the least.  I'm currently working on a semi-random semi-procedural semi-RPG flash game (there's no randomness to the gameplay, just some randomness in the setup which runs once and is saved).

When I'm done I might look into a fully procedurally generated RTS.  I'd keep unit names somewhat consistent to the expected usage of a unit.  E.g. high-damage, high-armor, slowish units would be "Bombers."  The fast, low damage units would be "Fighters."  The anti-swarm unit would be "Missile Frigates."  Etc.  So fighters will always kill bombers, bombers always kill frigates, and frigates always kill fighters.

AI War: Fleet Command almost falls into this category, but the unit types are all hard coded, which special unit you have is your choice from a small selection.  So it's almost a random unit, except that if you see it again, its the exact same.
That sounds cool. May I suggest you not shy away from batshit crazy names, but instead give them a 'class' with some general parameters which meet what you were saying about bombers and fighters and such?

Sorry for the hijack.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 03:28:01 pm »

Night creatures earned some respect in my book for this. After all, they did it to elves.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 03:59:17 pm »

That sounds cool. May I suggest you not shy away from batshit crazy names, but instead give them a 'class' with some general parameters which meet what you were saying about bombers and fighters and such?

Crazy batshit names are harder to generate.  But yeah, I could have a "name list" which just assigns one.  I'd rather get a working random-unit-stats generator down first.  As that's likely all I'd do (plus a generic map for throwing units at each other)

vipre01

• Bay Watcher
  • asdf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2011, 05:14:54 pm »

Vipre01, I share your passion! Could you please upload your world, give the params or anything, so that I can learn more? xD
I get the overwhelming urge to make a family tree starting  from Nemile 8D What happened to his two first children, Ile and Camela? Did they even meet their half-sibling Ozran? The horror, the horror... xD

Sure, just FYI, though, I have made some modifications to the base game. I've added a vampire nation, made it so that elves, dwarfs, and goblins can build cities (since you can't visit their fortresses in base 31.18), added a savage vampire creature that roams the forests in packs, and also some minor tweaks to the other various creatures (replaced the PET_EXOTIC tag and removed the SAVAGE tag from all savage creatures so they can roam anywhere).

I uploaded the save folder to Mega Upload and zipped it in .7z format. Here's the link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M5IV4802

Enjoy!

Care to share the juicy plot details?

Sorry for the hijack.

No worries, you guys keep on keeping on.

chewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2011, 05:26:08 pm »

Through a dark and twisted ritual, Lapama is transformed into a large humanoid with thin wings and gray, curly hair. 

In autumn of that same year Nemile is abducted by the night creature Bekor Umbraghosts the Abyssal Ash of Dusks. He is imprisoned and Nemile is twisted and contorted and changed into his new form: a three-eyed humanoid with a long truck and waxy skin of charcoal. That same year, Nemile and Bekor mate and have an abomination of a baby girl named Ozran Tunnelednight.

You know what would have been even cooler? If it had been Lapama, who captured Nemile after her transformation and changed his appearance, so they could be together again and form a new family. Would be so romantic :'(

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2011, 05:31:25 pm »

You know what would have been even cooler? If it had been Lapama, who captured Nemile after her transformation and changed his appearance, so they could be together again and form a new family. Would be so romantic :'(

Shame the transformed can't themselves transform others, but you're right.  It'd have been awesome.

Care to share the juicy plot details?

There actually isn't a plot.  Its basically as plot heavy as Nethack.  That is to say: there's a dungeon, you go into it.  I recognize that I need more than this to really have it be successful, but I haven't come up with anything yet (and I can still implement the plot on top of what I have without too much trouble).

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2011, 09:37:11 pm »

Its late enough this is more worthy of a double post than an edit.

I took a half hour and threw together a Proceedural Random Unit Generator.

None of them do anything special, I was just covering the basics (enough that once I can rig together generating three or four of these in one go and make them fight they have enough stats).  It's crazy how balanced they come out.
(Note: Armor will be considered direct damage reduction PER SHOT to a minimum value)

Craziest thing I've seen was: 250 HP, 10 armor, 25 x5 damage, 7 second RoF, speed 10, range 34 unit.  If anything ever got in range, it would DIE.
Also seen a 250 HP, 0 armor, 25 x6 damage, 8 second RoF, speed 18, range 34 unit.  No armor, fast.

New thread to continue this topic.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 09:43:29 pm by Draco18s »

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2011, 12:26:14 pm »

A male elf (Nemile) moves into the town of Waxyhelm, becomes Druid, and meets a sexy, well-endowed female elf (Lapama). They hit it off and not long after, they marry.

Two blissful years of marriage go by and in that time they welcome a daughter named Ile, and a son named Camela. One evening in the early winter of 14, the night creature, Dehuerjie Diecrypts the Grave of Night, attacks the town. Dehuerjie ambushes one elf and slaughters him without mercy. Having not satisfied his lust for death he next sets his sights on 1 year old Ile. Seeing his young daughter in danger Nemile leaps to her rescue and attacks the night creature. After (I imagine) a fierce struggle with Nemile, the night creature retreats, but before leaving the town he abducts Nemile's wife and imprisons her.

Through a dark and twisted ritual, Lapama is transformed into a large humanoid with thin wings and gray, curly hair. 

Two emotional years go by and in the late spring of 18, Nemile meets his nemesis once more and an epic battle ensues. Unfortunately for Nemile he is unable to exact vengence that day for Dehuerjie once more flees from their fight.

In autumn of that same year Nemile is abducted by the night creature Bekor Umbraghosts the Abyssal Ash of Dusks. He is imprisoned and Nemile is twisted and contorted and changed into his new form: a three-eyed humanoid with a long truck and waxy skin of charcoal. That same year, Nemile and Bekor mate and have an abomination of a baby girl named Ozran Tunnelednight.

Fast forward to the year 1050 and Nemile the elf and former Druid of Waxyhelm is long forgotten. His new name and title is Nemile Toothgulf the Skulls of Shade. He never saw his wife again, and he never gained revenge. Instead he is a creature of the night who has killed seventeen and now resides in the lair of Dietombs.

On the bright side, there elves. This kind of sh*t happend to them very often. (At least at my Dwarven Outpost, it does  :P)
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Matt2358

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2011, 06:24:35 pm »

Ngathi Chunkreleases

Chunkreleases?

Ha, poop
Pages: 1 [2] 3