Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 283

Author Topic: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)  (Read 415918 times)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)
« Reply #2895 on: September 27, 2011, 03:42:06 am »

Have you ever fought with a terrible mental image before, sir?
Well, no, but... Shut down the eyes!
That won't be enough!
I want brain bleach up here at once!
We will not survive this....
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: September 27, 2011, 04:29:48 am »

Cure for brain bleach: B'AAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: September 27, 2011, 06:26:17 am »

Okay. My story has run into a bit of a plot hole (eughh, not that kind of plot hole, you perverted freaks) in the Elements of Harmony Get. Rarity saves them in the scary tree part by her natural antimagic aura. How do I turn that into an EoH?

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: September 27, 2011, 08:07:06 am »

Okay. My story has run into a bit of a plot hole (eughh, not that kind of plot hole, you perverted freaks) in the Elements of Harmony Get. Rarity saves them in the scary tree part by her natural antimagic aura. How do I turn that into an EoH?
Uh...magma? If not I've got nothing, too much brain bleach, y'know?

Also, LordBucket's theory is full of sensibleness and my brain menaces with spikes of agreement. Until I read another one, of course.
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: September 27, 2011, 08:58:13 am »

D'aww Pinkie. And I've got a 10 page paper to start writing that is due in 3 hours, and I'm still puttering around reading fanfics and comics.

Okay, this is pretty much my ultimate cure for nightmare fuel. Take twenty seconds for every second of horror or disgust.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 09:14:35 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: September 27, 2011, 09:16:12 am »

:(
Bahaha, funny stuff.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: September 27, 2011, 10:35:19 am »

I get most of my images off of sites with explicit content. That's nothing compared to the horrors I've seen.

That, however, is something.  :'(

Anyway, link to my story for suggestions/revisions/unwarranted praise/etc.:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1w2lF1bySlCiItqqi4eGvmm7XSyEYpLUDDS2UY6LRjm0/edit?hl=en_US

It's shipping/grimdark with a few OCs.

If anyone's an artist, feel free to draw a picture since it would help the guys at EqD.
Nothing important here, move along.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: September 27, 2011, 11:06:14 am »

I get most of my images off of sites with explicit content. That's nothing compared to the horrors I've seen.

That, however, is something.  :'(

Anyway, link to my story for suggestions/revisions/unwarranted praise/etc.:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1w2lF1bySlCiItqqi4eGvmm7XSyEYpLUDDS2UY6LRjm0/edit?hl=en_US

It's shipping/grimdark with a few OCs.

If anyone's an artist, feel free to draw a picture since it would help the guys at EqD.

There really aren't any serious problems with spelling and grammar, but I do have one suggestion. As is, it feels more like a short story, and you could probably dispense with chapters altogether, particularly since you've concluded this in a single document. IMO you only need to break a fic into chapters if you plan on writing and releasing it as such. If you still wanted to keep the format you have, I would suggest compressing the first four chapters into one or two, as they appear to be there mainly to establish Cherry's character and the tone. You could also probably work on your pacing, as it felt as if you were rushing to arrive at the minor and major climaxes (the first was just for pun  :P), which doesn't feel entirely natural and ends up leaving the reader wondering what it was for when the finale goes by so quickly.

So yeah, basically slow things down and take your time unfolding the story, and consider reformatting it as a short story, because IMHO you don't really need 8 chapters for 14 pages. If you do want to keep it as chapters, I'd recommend compressing them to maybe four or five, and probably go ahead and move to a new page when starting a chapter, for the sake of clarity.

One last note: One of the major things I would expand on is the characterization, both of the OCs and of the canon characters, to help them feel more like real people ponies, which is by far the most important thing in any fiction, as readers have a hard time enjoying reading about characters if they feel like cardboard cutouts of actual people. I'm not exactly an expert, but you could do this through internal monologues, increased dialogue, or simple third person explanation of motivations and emotions. For the canon characters, draw from the show. Think about what the characters feel like when you watch them, and then try to replicate that in your writing. If actions and conversations involving canon characters don't feel like something you could see them doing or saying, rework it. For the OC characters, develop your conception of their personalities and motivations, and base their actions off of that.

Hope I helped a litte...  :-\

(and I really wouldn't call that grimdark. Maybe light dark. Won't spoil the story for anyone, but this is really light compared to, say the 40K/FiM crossover, which was also classified as grimdark.)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 11:10:00 am by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: September 27, 2011, 11:19:56 am »

That's a good point about the chapters. I'm making a gap between the two plot arcs, tell me if it looks okay or I should change it up. Other than that, I think they stand well enough.

Any other tips from any other people would be appreciated.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: September 27, 2011, 11:34:14 am »

Yeah, it looks a lot cleaner like that. Want to return the favor and look over the first chapter of my crap while I'm stalling with creating a name for a character? :P I've got a fairly tight plan for the next two chapters, and a rough outline for the plot as a whole, including the resolution, and  I've got her personality to where I want it, but I'm stumbling over an appropriate name.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gGinQFRsxyj17dfLuY6ds8qE9llXBAabrCOeW7TOiUA/edit?hl=en_US#

3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: September 27, 2011, 02:11:24 pm »

My new shirt came today. Apparently they only make them in women's sizes, as this was a large. But whatever, because

YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH  8)

3. Run Resize Enable

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: September 27, 2011, 02:12:37 pm »

Okay, couple of suggestions, nothing major though.

1. The opening sentence is a little long and slightly confusing. Perhaps a shortened rephrase or split would help it to flow a little better.

2. This one's more of a pet peeve of mine, but if you're going to state measurements don't use the same name for two different units. Unless the pony missed a nearly point-blank target by a greater distance than he can run in several seconds, there's no way the two were using the same unit.

Now that that's done, the good news:
The story is very well-written and captivating. One could almost imagine being there with the poor bastard.

Keep going, you've got me hooked.

PS: Epic shirt is epic.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: September 27, 2011, 02:14:41 pm »

My new shirt came today. Apparently they only make them in women's sizes, as this was a large. But whatever, because

YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH  8)
lol. I'd buy something less obvious, like the Luna cutie mark t-shirt.

Not pony, but I got my two shirts today as well.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: September 27, 2011, 02:24:25 pm »

Nice.

It's too bad I can't afford the nice shirts, I'm lucky I can afford Goodwill, and I doubt anyone's going to put an awesome pony shirt up for donation.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: September 27, 2011, 03:20:13 pm »

I'm thinking of cutting into my soda budget for a pony shirt, myself. I spend ~$20 a month on soda, so going without for a month and a fourth nets me a shirt.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 283