Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 283

Author Topic: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)  (Read 411531 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)
« Reply #2835 on: September 24, 2011, 09:59:46 pm »

Wahaha!

I knew about twentypercentcooler, but I haven't heard anything about it since it first started so I didn't think to check. Found it there.

Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: September 24, 2011, 10:02:06 pm »

Glad I could help.
Nothing important here, move along.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: September 24, 2011, 10:04:50 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I hate pony crossovers.
EeNOPE

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: September 24, 2011, 10:15:20 pm »

The crossovers are better than some of the other stuff... <.< >.>
Nothing important here, move along.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: September 24, 2011, 10:32:33 pm »

Reminds me. I gotta finish my own before the 30th.

Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: September 24, 2011, 10:36:24 pm »

I see what you did there.

At least someone did, most people just focus on the superficial and miss underlying points. It's still amusing to get a fallacious ad hominem attack from someone in a pony thread of all places.  :P

On a semi-quasi-vaguely related note, there's an interesting double standard developing in media regarding gender. Men portrayed as dumb pigs? Hilarious. Women are dumb pigs? Taboo. Woman touched against her will? Atrocious. Man takes baseball bat to the genitals? America's Funniest Videos. Etc...

Regarding horses appeal to girls, there have even been papers written on the topic, as ridiculous as that seems. It's not just some notion. One of my exes gave riding lessons, according to her about 90% of her students were female, though I suppose she was exaggerating. My female cousins virtually all had (regular) pony posters. And so forth.

Right, because in history soldiers riding into battle on what were basically freight trains of the time are not threatening.

By your logic, MLP must be a very threatening cartoon. Horses are domestic.
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: September 24, 2011, 10:52:52 pm »

I hate pony crossovers.
EeNOPE
BillTwilight Sparkle: "What the hell are you doing FrancisPinkie?"

Fallout Equestria, pony crossover of win, I can recommend no other.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: September 24, 2011, 10:54:33 pm »

Never been a huge fan of horses myself.

And they're very "manly," historically. Riding into battle and whatnot.

But a pony is like, the opposite of a warhorse; They're bred to be small...
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: September 24, 2011, 10:55:21 pm »

Spoiler: Largely Pointless (click to show/hide)

Zangi: Thank you for that post, I was trying to figure out what that crossover was with because I suck. You saved the the trouble of asking.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: September 24, 2011, 11:31:16 pm »

For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: September 24, 2011, 11:37:18 pm »

Regarding horses appeal to girls

Brief psychoanalysis:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 11:43:55 pm by LordBucket »

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: September 25, 2011, 12:08:24 am »

Regarding your argument about horses appealing to girls... I guess? Considering the extent of their association with military culture and the extent to which that is, in turn, bound up with masculinity in most cultures (if you want to tell Genghis Khan that his was a highly feminine culture, be my guest, once you have a time machine), I'd be likelier to say that horses appeal to people in general

"Horses appeal to people." How can I argue with that? Also, there might be a tiny difference between using horses as part of your military machine to crush, conquer and rape the world, and putting up soft- focus posters of horses all over your room, enjoying brushing their hair, writing poems about them, and so on... but I could be wrong. Do you think Genghis did both? :P

I'd wager the gender disparity in horseriding classes is due, at least in part, to the disparity between socially "acceptable" sports for women compared to men.

Or maybe things which girls like become (if I may borrow your quotes briefly) less socially "acceptable" to boys, and vice versa. There's this assumption that society just pulled gender roles out of it's butt, so to speak. I don't think that's the case.

All that said, it's probably pretty irrelevant to the thread, isn't it? Unless you were actually aiming to turn this into a discussion of gender stereotypes.

It's interesting to me because of a few observations, personal opinions and such. (And FWIW the MLP discussions tend to have gender stuff come up sooner or later more than most other cartoons...) For any familiar with the term "Smurfette Principle," that should ring a bell... coined by an interesting feminist writer a while back, it referred to the tendency of shows to have one single, stereo-typed female role. This was judged to be a gender issue. Half of people are female (or male) so why this discrepancy? It was deemed to be sexist.

Now we have the exact reverse of the Smurfette Principle in MLP but also a large (or maybe just vocal?) male audience for the show, which seems at odds. This brought me back to my observations about the double standards developing in regards to gender; what appears to be a developing emasculation of men's values, pride, interests and so on also seems to somehow tie in to this phenomenon.

For instance, even though feminists once vocally criticized this sort of one-sided gender portrayal, anyone speaking up about the opposite regarding women would probably hardly even be heard before being derided as either misogynist (ironically by feminists) or overly sensitive (ironically by feminist-supporting men) etc, even if this case is clearly the mirror opposite of something feminists complained about years ago.

Likewise, Tom Martin's case in England will undoubtedly fail, despite that he likely has plenty of evidence (given the laws there)... and then there's the supreme court ruling repeatedly against father's rights, for instance to know if their own wife aborts their unborn son, and so on... More recently a (female) lawyer proposed a law stating that if a woman has a right to choose to abort or carry, independently of the male, the male should therefore also be able to dissolve himself from financial obligation during the first trimester if he has no desire to see the child raised... but again, that was not passed. Eh, getting more off track now, but I foresee some interesting developments in the US and the west in general, and things are not all moving towards equality.

So yeah, probably more than you wanted in your cartoon thread, but that's why it seemed relevant. :P

Incidentally, interesting analysis there, LordBucket.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 12:17:01 am by Dwarf_Fever »
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: September 25, 2011, 12:34:22 am »

Spoiler: Serious Business (click to show/hide)

I feel dirty now for typing all this out. I'm... just going to stop posting in this thread for the night. Even provided rational responses, I'm too tired to research and respond properly, and I feel bad for the derail.

In other news, I am incredibly happy that Discord's resemblance to Q was deliberate.

EDIT: In fact, to commemorate just how awful I feel about this conversation, I'm changing my avatar to better describe my feelings toward both myself, and the people I'm arguing with.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 12:39:09 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: September 25, 2011, 12:44:56 am »

What's the point to this argument, again? Sure I can see the interest in statistical correlations regarding interest in horses and gender if you're, say, a marketer selling toys. I don't see a valid point to be made to anyone here, though.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: September 25, 2011, 01:01:36 am »

the part I've retained in the quote is wrong, because horses
simply don't vibrate at anything resembling that frequency.

You didn't think that through very carefully.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 01:11:02 am by LordBucket »
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 283