Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 283

Author Topic: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)  (Read 411530 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)
« Reply #2850 on: September 25, 2011, 01:14:04 am »

Saw the two parter season premiere. Fun, if the end was a bit predictable.

Found this comment in YouTube pretty funny though :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: September 25, 2011, 01:15:06 am »

Oh he still has a huge ass fanbase :P
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: September 25, 2011, 01:23:00 am »

Oh he still has a huge ass fanbase :P

Yes but not for the reasons stated 8)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: September 25, 2011, 01:26:56 am »

Maybe yours doesn't...
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: September 25, 2011, 02:08:27 am »

I doubt he did both, but it's irrelevant. Your comment was about the appeal of horses and ponies, not about the activities one might engage in to display that interest.

I'm not making that assumption, though, as far as I can tell. I agree with you! That assumption is often made. It's also entirely and completely beside the point of what you quoted - which was that, regardless of origin, the current cultural norm is that girls interested in sports are "quirky" or otherwise unusual, and there's often (but not always) a negative connotation associated with it. Horseback riding is one of the few exceptions, though it does require wealth.

I'd agree, except there's a difference between martial or sports activities involving horses and the horses.

I'm familiar with the Smurfette Principle, and I follow your reasoning right up until "the exact reverse". Which is to say, not very far; there's no character whose defining characterstic is "masculinity" in the show. The closest is Spike, and he doesn't seem to be adequately described by being labeled "dudely".

Actually, the Smurfette Principle is mainly defined by a single female role in an overwhelming cast of males, further generally insignificant to the plots; they are nearly always stereotyped, though that is not the defining criteria... the sort of stereotype is still telling, and horses in the role of strong, servantile animals appealing to girls seemed to me a very interesting coincidence with a male servantile role in the cartoon revolving around horses. That sparked my interest. But as you can see, the Smurfette Principle and thus sexism applies very much to MLP; in reverse, of course.

I further don't get where this "emasculation" stuff is coming from, you'll really have to explain that to me;

That would be a very long discussion, but the brief idea is that there has been a subtle, ongoing cultural assault on masculinity ever since the feminist movement took root. Just as a starting point, you'll find the end results of the movement in culture are rarely equality in context, but rather advantages for women or disadvantages for men... case in point being fathers having far less rights than mothers, for instance. Or that British Airways, Qantas, and Air New Zealand all had policies prohibiting men from sitting next to unaccompanied children on commercial flights despite that there has never been a documented case of in-flight child abuse. Or that (based on exonerations) men on death row were found to be twice as likely as women to be wrongfully convicted. And so on, but more importantly, that it's glossed over. Can you imagine the outrage if, for instance, an airline had a policy stating "No black people shall be allowed to sit next to unaccompanied children on commercial flights"?

To quote Ph. D. author Warren Farrell, "In the past quarter century, we exposed biases against other races and called it racism, and we exposed biases against women and called it sexism. Biases against men we call humor."

if a key part of the following involved insisting that "masculine" stuff is bad, that'd be another thing. But judging from the popularity of Pony/Warhammer crossovers, that's just not the case.

Who said I'm talking about the following? There's gay fanfic of bible stories, that doesn't mean the Pope wrote it. (Though I wouldn't be terribly surprised if he did.) Joe Catholic doesn't run the Vatican, but the Vatican will influence how Joe thinks.

From some research, I can say with confidence that I lack the knowledge necessary to comment on the Tom Martin case competently - it's plausible that he's correct, but it's far from certain. I'd need to actually read the material for those courses in order to determine whether I think there's institutionalized sexism there, and to be honest, I wouldn't care enough if the material even existed for me to read because it would be hours upon hours of reading just so I could nitpick somebody else's argument over the internet.

I understand, it's not an interesting topic to most. The unfortunate thing (beyond that, itself) is that I don't think it matters that he's correct.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 02:12:29 am by Dwarf_Fever »
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: September 25, 2011, 08:50:28 am »

So I've finally got around to watching part two of the season two premiere. For your amusement, here is a big ol' analysis of Discord and his role, enclosed in spoilers because it contains episode spoilers.

I spent a lot of time writing this. Please read it.

My theory: Discord and Celestia were in it together:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:57:58 am by LordBucket »

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: September 25, 2011, 09:04:13 am »

That makes perfect sense. I thought that Discord was pretty lame when he went down without a fight, but your explanation makes the whole thing awesome.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: September 25, 2011, 10:47:16 am »

Cursed by the ponies, loved by the metas...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: September 25, 2011, 11:19:15 am »

http://www.mlponies.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=179&p=71982#p71982
"Applebuck Season" was originally about "applebumping", i.e. Applejack would harvest apples by ramming trees with her head. (You can see how the script originally had her consciousness deteriorating already, huh?) But Hasbro said, uh, maybe that's not quite the kind of thing we want to be encouraging kids to do, y'know? So they rejiggered the concept into applebucking, which works as a drop-in replacement to the story—making it about sleep deprivation instead. So applebucking ends up both becoming an iconic Applejack "thing", and the story turns out quite a bit more fun than a lesson about repetitive long-term cranial trauma.
Applejack was Derpy's bestest friend before wasn't she?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: September 25, 2011, 11:24:11 am »

Why do people equate derp-eyes with mental retardation anyway?

I know that Ditzy is canonically, well, ditzy, but at the same time that was mostly a result of people equating the derp-eyes with mental issues.
Nothing important here, move along.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: September 25, 2011, 02:35:07 pm »

Of course.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: September 25, 2011, 02:54:32 pm »

Thought this was interesting.

Nothing important here, move along.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2863 on: September 25, 2011, 06:01:31 pm »

Just want to state that Discord was not "evil" nor a "villain". While he was the antagonist he was mostly just trying to have fun and spread a little chaos. Chaos is not evil just like Order is not good. Too much or too little of either is quite bad for you/society but not in and of itself evil. His trying to break up the main characters friendship was mean and probably a bit spiteful but to be fair to him they where trying to imprison him in stone.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: September 25, 2011, 06:03:00 pm »

He seems to really enjoy breaking people and making them miserable (just look how happy he is when he breaks Twilight), so he's probably a sadist. That right there puts him in the "evil" category for most people.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 283