Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Barrels and Prepared Food  (Read 1757 times)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Barrels and Prepared Food
« on: September 14, 2010, 04:23:58 am »

Is it just me, or do barrels have a disappointingly low capacity for storing prepared food.  It looks like barrels can only hold 10 units of food, but I have meals routinely coming from my kitchen in stacks of 25.  Do meal-stacks get broken up to be put into barrels, or can only the smaller stacks fit into barrels?  I've noticed that half of my stockpile has barrels, while the other half is barrel-less and filled with large stacks of food.

Am I better off eliminating barrels from my prepared-food stockpile entirely, or keeping a few around to consolidate mini-stacks?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Barrels and Prepared Food
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 04:32:24 am »

I have never seen a point to putting prepared meals in barrels. I can sell meals without wasting barrels this way. Provided you've got good vermin control (easily achieved) then you may as well have a huge room for a meal stockpile.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 04:35:29 am »

I keep my prepared food stockpile completely free from barrels for the reasons mentioned
(waste of barrels and meals probably get broken up)

Same goes btw. for my seeds stockpile...
donīt know if this bug still is there, but in 40d if there were barrels in your seeds stockpile
dwarves tended to fill them up with bags conatining one seed each (thereby wasting hundreds of bags)
whereas without barrels, as intended, they would try to fill up the seed bags 

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 05:23:04 am »

I've limited my stockpile to only having about 10% barrels, so I'll have a few on hand to consolidate whatever tiny stacks may come.  Actually...why bother?  NO BARRELS FOR PREPARED FOOD!

@Proteus:
Seed stockpiles with barrels hold multiple bags with many many seeds per bag.  I have one bag holding around 100 cave-wheat seeds.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 05:31:24 am »

Good to know,
so Toady seems to really have fixed the seed store behavior in DF 2010

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 07:05:05 am »

Actually...why bother?  NO BARRELS FOR PREPARED FOOD!
Now you've got the idea :)
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Ganthan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 06:41:38 pm »

Good to know,
so Toady seems to really have fixed the seed store behavior in DF 2010

Actually the seed storage seems roughly the same as in 40d.  Bags get wasted on a single seed because of simultaneous hauling jobs.  The problem is somewhat easily remedied by dumping the single seed out of the bag then reclaiming it, which will cause it to get put into the correct bag with the other seeds.  The exception to this is when the first bag gets 100 seeds in it, which is the maximum seed capacity for bags.  Seeds are capped at 200 of the same type, though you can still buy seed bags from caravans.

This is actually the same problem that causes overstorage of hospital supplies.  Multiple idle dwarves may notice that the current cloth supply is less than the maximum setting so they all start hauling cloth to the hospital at the same time.

glawen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 02:21:23 pm »

So, how do you limit or forbid barrels for a specific foodpile ? I want my prepared meal stockpile (everything blocked except prepared food) to not accept barrels, but I want my other food on my other stockpiles to continue to accept barrels, so my unprepared food still goes into them. Is that possible ?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 02:42:35 pm »

[q ] over the pile, [E ]

Max Barrel and Max Bin tell the game how many of each are allowed to be used for storage in that stockpile. Both default to the maximum when they can.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

glawen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 03:01:33 pm »

Thanks, I should have seen that.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 05:06:16 pm »

Does food, including prepared food, last longer if stored in a barrel? Or does it only last longer when being hauled to the trade depot or sitting in the trade depot if it is in a barrel? I've noticed that most of the food I buy from the traders will spoil very rapidly if it isn't hauled out to a food stockpile of some kind very quickly.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

mrbaggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 05:10:33 pm »

It might matter at the depot.

I've also heard that if unvarreled prepared food gets walked on, it loses quality.