This can never be used again or removed

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU
- 0 (0%)
WWWHHHHYYYYYYYYYY
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: November 30, 2011, 09:01:14 pm

Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252

Author Topic: Space Voyage. Paint Adventure. Rebecoming the greatness it never wasn't  (Read 504407 times)

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
Re: Space Voyage. Paint Adventure. Gone but not forgotten.
« Reply #3735 on: October 28, 2012, 01:57:56 am »

I haven't been on the forums in months. I was secretly hoping to return to tons of Space Voyage updates. But alas it was not meant to be.

I would also suggest you read Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, it's pretty damn awesome.

I'm sorry to disappoint. Ive been meaning to get stuff done for it but I just keep getting busier and busier. This trend is likely to continue until most of the way through
2013 so I'm not sure how reassuring I can be. I've been thinking of doing some shorter non-committal games in between but I'd have to get pretty far ahead on much of my work.

Ñ

There are plenty of book suggestions on the internet:

http://forbiddenplanet.com/picks/50-sf-books-you-must-read/
http://www.goodreads.com/list/tag/sci-fi

If you want personal recommendations, it's hard to go wrong with the big three (Heinlein, Asimov, Clarke). For our Demi-God of Tears' flirt with fantasy, I'd recommend Roger Zelazny and Frank Herbert. And for a more comical take on the genre, try Harry Harrison or Eric Frank Russell.

I always like personal suggestions from the people who have been tricked into reading read Space voyage in particular. It helps alleviate that problem where I'm completely oblivious to the references people make. I'm somewhat disappointed in myself for not getting farther in my suggested readings. I intend to finish considerably more before relaunching the adventure. Probably with more substantial backup.

The symbol is a teardrop, obviously.

Obviously

Just read this. Also posting to watch.

As for books I'd suggest Ender's Game and maybe it's sequels (didn't really get into them much) by Orson Scott Card.

Wow, what a time to PTW, I hope I haven't betrayed your trust too badly.

I've heard Ender's Game suggested many times and I'll be sure to read it.

I just spent a good few hours reading this entire thing from start to finish, waiting for planetside2 beta, curse you smedley.

On an other note I applaud you robocorn!

Man, I'm still amazed that people read through it start to finish in one sitting.

You are the one who deserves applause.

I greatly appreciate the suggestions of all of you who I did not directly respond to. I've noticed some overlap amongst recommendations so
I'll probably be sure to read those stories. I'll try not to reference them too strictly it will be good to have more background knowledge to
draw from. It would be really embarrassing to just restart it with more stuff inspired by cheesy power metal songs.

Thanks for caring everybody
Still not dead yet October 2012.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: Space Voyage. Paint Adventure. Life, but not as we know it.
« Reply #3736 on: October 28, 2012, 04:05:14 am »

As for books I'd suggest Ender's Game and maybe it's sequels (didn't really get into them much) by Orson Scott Card.

I'd not recommend the sequels, the first sequel was okayish but after that they're very meh. This is one of those books that really shouldn't have sequels though.

Darkwar by glen cook is also pretty good, though it doesn't really focus on the sci-fi aspects that much.

Iain M. Banks' The Algebraist, Excession and Player of Games are all good.

Timothy Zahn's Conquerer Trilogy is also pretty good.

John Ringo is hit or miss for most people but you might enjoy some of his works.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 04:07:36 am by Demonic Spoon »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: October 28, 2012, 09:01:11 am »

I'd not recommend the sequels, the first sequel was okayish but after that they're very meh. This is one of those books that really shouldn't have sequels though.

I found Speaker for the Dead to be pretty great, but then again Orson Scott Card originally conceived that book as a separate novel. He pretty much added in the connection to Ender's Game at the last minute so that Speaker for the Dead could be published (or something along those lines). As for the rest of the sequels... I suppose that it depends on your tastes. I heard that the first few books in the Shadow Series (Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, etc.) are good, so you might want to take a look at those.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: October 28, 2012, 10:19:50 am »

I liked the original the best, but the sequels are also good in my opinion. GO READ :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Zecro_The_Scourge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: October 28, 2012, 03:12:23 pm »

I never read Ender's Game but I do intend to, on topic I can recommend you to the entire Ciaphas Cain series as a dark comedy series.
"Also I always figured you were like Tesla, only requiring two hours of sleep before going onto whatever you do"

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Voyage. Paint Adventure. Gone but not forgotten.
« Reply #3740 on: October 29, 2012, 01:18:33 pm »

I'm sorry to disappoint. Ive been meaning to get stuff done for it but I just keep getting busier and busier. This trend is likely to continue until most of the way through
2013 so I'm not sure how reassuring I can be. I've been thinking of doing some shorter non-committal games in between but I'd have to get pretty far ahead on much of my work.

It's alright, I understand you are not ACTUALLY a revenant/zombie version of your previous robot/mythical creature self.  Feel free to do other stuff if the inspiration strikes: the basic fact you're saying "nope, this game won't advance for a long time" makes it a lot more comfy to go in another direction.  You know, as opposed to people dropping off the face of the earth (/sky) and showing up elsewhere without a word.

--Rexfelum

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: January 02, 2013, 01:19:26 am »

Sort of update.

I've actually got stuff done almost. In the last couple of months I've read Ender's game, the first two Discworld novels and the dune series up to
God Emperor which I'm currently a quarter way through. I plan on slogging my way though the foundation trilogy some time after finishing God Emperor.
After being on the internet all these years I suppose I underestimated how good actual literature really was.

I still feel like I might accidentally rip something off if I don't have more varied reference points, but I'm fairly certain that at this point
I'll be ripping off something half decent. I'm not sure if my art skill will ever catch up to what I want it to be, but at the rate I'm progressing
I might be good enough to scribble off something half decent within a couple of months.

Second order of business

It's almost time for the second annual punishing-myself-all-day livestream.

January 11th rolled around again and last year I tried (and failed) to do a 24 hour livestream. I said I'd try to do it again
next year. Which is next Friday. How the time does fly. I haven't actually done anything in almost eight months
but I figure I could take requests or we could do some worldbuilding or something as I slowly become too exhausted
to do anything.

How does that sound?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: January 02, 2013, 02:50:30 am »

Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: January 02, 2013, 04:32:42 am »

Yep, that's how I imagined it would sound. With some reverb added for space awesomeness.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: January 02, 2013, 04:52:44 pm »

Yay! ^_^

Please warn me a bunch of hours or a day of so hours before you start, this will be awesome and I don't want to miss it. And so far I think I've been to some help with ideas for these.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #3745 on: January 02, 2013, 04:54:37 pm »

Just got a new computer so I'll be there to torment you.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
Re: Space Voyage. Paint Adventure. That cannot be dead that never existed.
« Reply #3747 on: March 16, 2015, 08:57:22 pm »

You are IMG-463

In what is no doubt a cosmically important jolt you are thrown from your feet
and with you, your 1105 perfectly chronologically organized phototronic slips.
Your masterpiece hangs in the air

And is brought unceremoniously to the ground.

You are dazed but not disheartened, surely the disorder can be corrected.
You are the forever optimist IMG-444 assured you.
You just have to collect your prints into order before you
distribute them to the chronotorium for hyperpreservation.

No, no, no!
the phototronic ink is being contaminated by the floor somehow.
There is no way for the prints to be submitted to the chronotorium in this state!

This won't do.
It must be some kind of biological contamination.
Anything retrieved through the trans-heisenbergian temporal scan not submitted to the
chronotorium cannot be objectively proven to exist, there's no context for understanding this time-thread.
It could almost be said that the events never really happened. did they?

You've worked here long enough to know there are no coincidences but that won't fly with your new superior.
How can you complete your time stream assignment and preserve your shaken optimism?!
You can do it!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: March 16, 2015, 09:10:56 pm »

That is... kind of brilliant.  :D
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: March 16, 2015, 09:18:42 pm »

Holy shit its back!

Oh uh if it's not too much to ask, do you still have the old image files? I tried rereading the adventure a couple months ago only to discover that imageshack ate most of the images in the first half or so. Twas quite a bummer :(

I fail at reading comprehension forever
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 09:26:51 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252