Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: dorms vs. rooms  (Read 8840 times)

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dorms vs. rooms
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 04:19:50 am »

I like to give all my dwarves 5x5 rooms of at least "decent" quality (bigger/better for founders or others I really like) but it is not an immediate priority, nor do I try to keep up with the ever-rising population numbers. Everyone will get a room of their own eventually, with an "it'll be done when it's done" approach. Until then they can crash in the dorm, which everyone generally loves because I try to put it in a good spot with mineral veins or gem clusters. My current fort has a "grand" dormitory in bauxite with multiple high-value gem floors and walls, and the little blighters just about have a dwarf-gasm every time they sleep there. ;)

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 04:52:18 am »

1x4 straight line off a corridor.  I put the bed at the far end.  Don't have to resize or otherwise mess around when designating.  Bed, cabinet, coffer, door.  Even with the default pop cap of 200, all of these rooms, including larger rooms for nobles, will fit, very easily, on one z-level.

VinWij

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 05:13:38 am »

I've built 2x3 rooms in 2 x 8 blocks for my dwarves. Each room has a bed, cabinet table and a chair. All walls and floors are smoothed before building the rooms.

I can actually fit quite a lot of those on a floor without using massive amounts of space, and it keeps the dwarves happy.

@CapnUrist, it's not necessary to free up the bedroom, a dwarf can only ever own one, so if you assign a noble a noble's quarters, his old room will free up by itself.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 05:17:20 am »

I used to go with the 1x3, "hole in the wall" design.
But since I'm trying everything I can to help keep my FPS up, I have grown accustomed to not having any 1-wide places in my fortress whatsoever. So, now, even my bedrooms are 2 wide.
I use this design, which is easy to designate using the shift key (it's a block of 11x11):

Code: [Select]
wwwww...wwwww   w=wall
wb.........bw   b=bed
w...........w   .=floor
wwwww...wwwww
wb.........bw
w...........w
wwwww...wwwww
wb.........bw
w...........w
wwwww...wwwww
wb.........bw
w...........w
wwwww...wwwww

I place cabinets/coffers in them on demand (when I start seeing items cluttering the rooms)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 05:48:13 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 05:40:33 am »

I build my bedrooms with macros. I push a button and the dig designations are set. Churning out the furniture is something I like doing anyway and it's a way to use up all the loose stone that gets churned out. Now, given I like gems, my bedrooms end up really messy but it's fun seeing how organic my living quarters really turn out when the macro made a nice structured design.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Scraggletag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 08:10:42 am »

Keep in mind that rooms can overlap. It hampers the value a bit, but not too much.

My solution has been to dig one large room, place a hundred beds and a handful of cabinets and chests in it, then designate each bed as a large bedroom. Maybe place a an artifact in there to make them all royal quality.

I don't have to dig out complex housing arrangements. Dwarves will stow their rotting clothes in the shared cabinets. All my dwarves get happy thoughts from sleeping in a good room. Nobles get a ☼Bed☼ with decorations to keep them happy.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 08:17:11 am »

I usually make one 20x20 room. I have it smoothed and engraved by a legendary+5 Engraver and fill the room with beds. I make a bedroom from each bed that covers the entire 20x20 room and assign each bed to a different dwarf. Because of the overlapping rooms the value of the room is quartered, but even a quarter the value of a 20x20 room filled with masterwork engravings still makes a room royal. Next I place a few cabinets, weapon racks, armor stands and chests for the nobles and I won't have to worry about any of that ever again. The only problem is that it takes some time to get your Engraver to legendary+5 and to fully engrave the room.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 08:42:42 am »

So dwarves will use containers, even if they're shared? That's good to know.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 09:14:06 am »

Keep in mind that rooms can overlap. It hampers the value a bit, but not too much.

I believe the way it works is that once you overlap two rooms the value of both rooms goes down by 75%.  Any additional rooms that overlap also have their value cut by 75%, but it's not cumulative.  So if you have a room that's 4x the value required for royal status and then define a bunch of other rooms on top of it, those will all be royal too, no matter how many rooms you stack up.

Quote from: Fish
especially in this fort, where the cavern above is flooded, meaning that every few seconds I get that "damp stone" pause and zoom.

You can turn off the pause/recenter on damp/warm stone in data/init/announcements.txt . I don't remember the format of the file or which string to look for but it should be pretty easy to tease out the meaning once you've got it open.  This still causes the designations to be canceled, so you'd have to re-designate all the damp tiles after you've discovered them, but it will stop interrupting the game.
Current Fort: NatureRags

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 09:24:29 am »

I do 2x2 rooms with 1 bed, 1 cabinet, 1 chest and 1 empty space. I am so generous.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

Scraggletag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2011, 10:24:09 am »

I believe the way it works is that once you overlap two rooms the value of both rooms goes down by 75%. 

Actually, my experience shows its a little more complicated than that. When a specific piece of furniture is designated as a room, it adds it's full value to that particular room and no value at all to any overlapping room.

In the case of 100 overlapping bedrooms, each bedroom gets:
-The full value of the bed it's designated from
-0 value from all the other beds that are designated as bedrooms
-25% of the value from everything else in the room (cabinets, chest, doors, engravings, etc)

Of course, it's kind of a moot point. Even getting only one quarter of the value, smoothing and engraving a room large enough to hold 100 beds will get them all to a pretty high quality anyways. Placing a single artifact in the room will most likely make them all royal. Depending of course on the exact size of the room, skill of the engraver, value of the artifact, etc.

vlademir1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2011, 10:32:38 am »

My entire fortress is designed around 3x3, 7x7 and 15x15 rooms with 3x? halls in a grid pattern. 

My common bedroom is:
####/####
#s.s.s.s#
#b.b.b.b#
#c.c.c.c#
/......./
#c.c.c.c#
#b.b.b.b#
#s.s.s.s#
####/####
Where b is a bed, c is a bag, and s is a statue (all cheapest quality). Beds are designated as 3x3 rooms and all walls and floors smoothed.

My dorm is:
####/####
#bbb.bbb#
#b.b.b.b#
#b.b.b.b#
/......./
#b.b.b.b#
#b.b.b.b#
#bbb.bbb#
####/####

Nobles and legendaries get either a 3x3 or a 7x7 room smoothed, engraved and furnished depending on rank needs (legends get a smooth 3x3 bedroom, lesser nobles get 3x3 rooms finished to need, important nobles 7x7 rooms finished to need).

On a related note, common dining halls are 7x7, seat 14 and are full of statuary.

Unused furniture gets offered to elf and human caravans once I buy the stuff I can make into a profit...  more useful stuff tops out the dwarven caravans as offerings (stone crafts mostly).

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2011, 10:50:17 am »

Due to misreading the title I'm now thinking about danger dorms. With upright bed traps. Spinning beds. Harder to block.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2011, 11:17:23 am »

I can't believe all these people making nice little rooms for everyone.  Who cares if they're miserable - there's always front gate sentry duty for the complainers.

The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2011, 01:22:04 pm »

The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

Spoken like a true dwarf. Sigg'd.

I, however, prefer to lavish the dorfs who manage to make it to (and survive in) my forts :)
At least 3x3 for each and every dorf, first come first served basis if there ain't enough at the time.
Unless someone does something of great merit. Then they get 5x5 or something.
Pages: 1 [2] 3