Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Before there can be war, there will be... Bugfixes!  (Read 16756 times)

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Before there can be war, there will be... Bugfixes!
« on: January 09, 2011, 10:38:22 pm »

So Toady's made it no secret that after the (what I assume to be nearly imminent) caravan release, he plans on a major bugfix patch before moving on to the War Arc.

So my question to you, BayTwelvers, is what bug would you most look forward to being fixed? What one are you the most looking forward to, whether it's a major bug (Dwarves die when within 5 feet of a cat)*, minor annoyance (hospitals and soap, anyone?), accidental "feature" (self-referential; artifacts get added as valid art targets when the mood *starts*, not when it finishes) or just something you find abnormally irritating (I am tired of Mayors with preferences for Cardinal Leather!)

As mentioned, I have a great dislike for dwarves with vermin food/leather/bone products, as they are, for the most part, completely unobtainable. I don't care if you like Cardinal Leather, Mr. Mayor -- you've just got to dwarf up and admit that BIRDS HAVE FEATHERS!

Also bad are dwarves who prefer to eat seeds.

And a quick death for any mayor who prefers Slade.

What grinds *your* gears?

*Note: I am not aware of any such bug currently, but I wouldn't put it past them. Devious as cats are...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 11:52:40 pm by veok »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Before there can be war, there will be... Bugfixes!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 10:47:08 pm »

Liquid glob attacks being solid. Very irritating. Would be nice if once they actually come out liquid they splattered the material on the target.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 10:49:37 pm »

I think crutches should be one of the highest priorities, followed by a fix for random terminally bedridden dwarves. I've had a FB blood epidemic that had many in my fortress bedridden, despite a total lack of any injuries. No nerves severed, bruised, or injured in any way. Never even any scars. Just refusing to get back up for the rest of their lives.

Dropping them caused total paralysis, which didn't much help after they suffocated.

AzureAngelic

• Bay Watcher
  • is waiting for dwarves to invent large blenders
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 10:52:43 pm »

Bugs/grievances that need to be fixed:

-dwarves using adamantine threads for surgery
-butchers not butchering despite being surrounded by dead things
-the dwarven socks-over-boots dilemma
-dwarves never changing clothes
-dwarves ignoring orders and running into sieges to pick up pants that they will never use
-elves winning wars, skirmishes and football matches

Bugs/grievances that need to never be fixed:

-planepacked artifacts
-dwarven atom smashers
-goblins stupidity
Urist McFodder cancels Breathe: Interrupted by Goblin.
Urist McAwesome unleashes the magma floods!
Gobbo Steve cancels Attack: Interrupted by Lava.
Lava cancels Kill Goblin: Interruped by Fungiwood.
Urist McAwesome cancels Live: Taken by depression.
Urist McAwesome has perished in lava.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 10:59:55 pm »

The worst bugs for me are:

* Hospital problems (assign crutches, fix soap / "can't clean self" spam, fix apply cast when you don't have a full bucket sitting by).
* Grime fixes (contamination should not spread infinitely far; yes, the init option helps a lot, *maybe* fixing clean self would be enough).
* Assigning bolts (you have to micromanage or if they have the wrong kind of bolts for training/combat, they don't reload).
* No DM (I miss the guy; the only useful noble of 40d, even though I just use noexotic for now).

And though they're not technically bugs, I really want improved hauling and other FPS fixes so that building cool things doesn't take forever.  There might be a few bugs for long-running forts, too, but I can't think of them right now.  I want to be able to run 200-year forts someday, assuming proper management, and not die to FPS death or running out of something non-renewable.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 11:01:33 pm »

Bugs/grievances that need to never be fixed:

-planepacked artifacts
-dwarven atom smashers
-goblins stupidity

Amen!

*Goes back to watching the goblin thief stuck in the grinder who has been there for a month or three*
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 11:05:14 pm »

* Hospital problems (assign crutches, fix soap / "can't clean self" spam, fix apply cast when you don't have a full bucket sitting by).
* Grime fixes (contamination should not spread infinitely far; yes, the init option helps a lot, *maybe* fixing clean self would be enough).
* Assigning bolts (you have to micromanage or if they have the wrong kind of bolts for training/combat, they don't reload).
* No DM (I miss the guy; the only useful noble of 40d, even though I just use noexotic for now).

And though they're not technically bugs, I really want improved hauling and other FPS fixes so that building cool things doesn't take forever.  There might be a few bugs for long-running forts, too, but I can't think of them right now.  I want to be able to run 200-year forts someday, assuming proper management, and not die to FPS death or running out of something non-renewable.

I pretty much agree with this post. The biggest issues hurting the playability of DF for me is that it is not sustainable in any kind of long-term due to the bugginess of contaminants. If we could have the grime system of 40d where contaminants vanished after a season, along with something that allowed us to designate cleaning of stuff like walls, floors, items, or creatures, that would be great.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 02:52:12 am »

Oh yes, signed!

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 03:16:49 am »

a 'bug' of sorts is cats... they annoy the fuck out of me. what i would LOVE is a cat mandate where if the dorf-cat ratio gets too out of whack the mayor has the guard go around pounding the kitties into the ground untill there is less of them. with a bonus of less misery produced by the pet deaths of a cat mandate.

that would be an awesome solution to my current frame rate killing cat infestation.
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

undead whales will seriously delay your megaproject.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 03:27:32 am »

Military dodging into pools. I just lost 2 squads.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 06:52:01 am »

Roomless dwarves claiming clothest they dont actualy wear is one.

And there is conaminants endlessly multiplying, making it impossible to get rid of that poisenous forgotten beast crap even when using dfhacks mapclean.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 07:31:45 am »

1. Contaminants - Eternal forgotten beast extracts tend to kill forts.
2. Crutches - Having to design hospitals especially for killing patients seems superfluous.
3. Training & Combat ammo - Obvious reasons. It would also be nice to assign marksdwarves to go resupply rather than engage in melee.
4. Clothes - They've been overlooked for a long time, but having dwarves wear your new products feels nice.

Arranged by priority. Basically only the contaminants are a true game breaker.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 07:51:53 am »

accidental "feature" (self-referential; artifacts get added as valid art targets when the mood *starts*, not when it finishes)
That's not illogical at all. Most artist have an image of what they are about to create in their minds, before even touching their materials. When for instance a great stonecarver looks at a block of marble, he does not see a block of marble, but he sees what it could be, as a statue.

As for bugfixes. Well, it's not really a bug, but I think that seasonal map clean-up should return, and not only clean floors, but also items with bloodspatters and other muck on them. As it is now, even auto-forbidden goblin loot still drains FPS if there are bloodspatters on the items, forbidden or no.

I guess for a real bugfix, I'd like to see the soap bug fixed as a priority. Second place to fixing the arrival of dungeonmaster/hammerer etc.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 08:33:51 am »

For hospital bugs, I would also like to add wounded dwarfs refusing to stay in the hospital. With some micromanagement the hospital works somewhat decently, except all the dwarfs go back to work before they've had any treatment. Dwarfs should also follow the settings you set for the hospital. It is very annoying to have your dwarfs stuff all the chests in the hospital with cloth and threat, but refuse to put in any soap or cast powder. Otherwise I agree completely.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Phenixmirage

• Bay Watcher
  • Weak vs. Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 08:56:07 am »

I second (or third, or fourth) Uristocrat's list, and add a pet peeve of my own.

*Dwarves not using their assigned rooms.

I enjoy giving my dwarves nice rooms, the least they could do is use them.  This gets especially annoying with nobles as they'll get pissy about sleeping in the hospital or barracks, but ignore the elaborate bedrooms I've assigned to them.  >:(
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9