Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Before there can be war, there will be... Bugfixes!  (Read 16763 times)

Korgus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Before there can be war, there will be... Bugfixes!
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 09:14:55 am »

Crutches.
F*** your pointy ears I've my dwarves inside.
And f*** your wooden swords I've my dwarves inside.
F*** your bins of cloth I've my dwarves inside.
If you're looking to be killed I've my dwarves outside.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 09:39:19 am »

no economy, everyone is happy forever just with one legendary hall and one legendary messy overlapping sharing bedroom.

Samohan25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 11:33:58 am »

accidental "feature" (self-referential; artifacts get added as valid art targets when the mood *starts*, not when it finishes)
That's not illogical at all. Most artist have an image of what they are about to create in their minds, before even touching their materials. When for instance a great stonecarver looks at a block of marble, he does not see a block of marble, but he sees what it could be, as a statue.

This isn't the issue, it's that all other artists also know that piece of art, meaning that you see the artwork before the moody dwarf actualy gets to show others, and since it only exists within that dwarf's head (debatable depending on mood) it is arquard.

Unless dwarves are actualy part of a hive mind...

Socializator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress CZ
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 12:10:17 pm »

*crossbowers not distinguishing between train and real ammunition.

and feature request
- store uniform types between games so I wont need to do them all over and over again. (perhaps as an init option)
Navštivte českou Dwarf Fortress komunitu a fanpage!

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 12:25:52 pm »

Certain ghosts not turning up on the engrave slab list.

Contaminant spread (even in the newest version, all my dwarfs have a ton of contaminents on them).

I think both of these are causing serious lag on all my fortresses that get to 4 or so years.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 12:57:33 pm »

-dwarves using adamantine threads for surgery
-the dwarven socks-over-boots dilemma
-dwarves never changing clothes

These so very, very much.
Also dwarves using adamantine cloth for wound dressings, and dwarves using new cloth and thread in the hospital instead of the ones stored there already.
If we get a uniform assignable to all non military dwarfs that would be a huge improvement.
And of course as pretty much everyone stated already, them contaminants.

Roflcopter5000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 04:43:18 pm »

The glacial rate at which the military trains. Danger rooms are a cool and dwarfy fix, but it would be better in the long run if training was at least a somewhat viable alternative. It's absurd to think that a dwarf can train for a year straight and not even be dabbling.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 05:15:24 pm »

I second (or third, or fourth) Uristocrat's list, and add a pet peeve of my own.

*Dwarves not using their assigned rooms.

I enjoy giving my dwarves nice rooms, the least they could do is use them.  This gets especially annoying with nobles as they'll get pissy about sleeping in the hospital or barracks, but ignore the elaborate bedrooms I've assigned to them.  >:(
That was fixed a few versions ago.
くコ:彡

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 05:18:49 pm »

The glacial rate at which the military trains. Danger rooms are a cool and dwarfy fix, but it would be better in the long run if training was at least a somewhat viable alternative. It's absurd to think that a dwarf can train for a year straight and not even be dabbling.

you may try starting with a capt which is skilled as warrior and as a teacher and organizer, the results may surprise you

madciol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 05:30:34 pm »

Hospital and military fixes. You know, these two small, completely unimportant and unnecessary areas of game, that I for some strange reason I want to be fixed.  ::) There are many, many, very many other important bugs, but most pressing are military and hospital woes.
So...
  • Cannot follow orders. Oh Armok, CANNOT FOLLOW ORDERS.
  • Dwarves too retarded to discern between bolts, arrows, crossbows and bows. They rarely take any ammo, not to mention taking proper ammo.
  • Ways of teaching are screwed up and unusable. In short: unbalanced. In fact, I would do away with Teacher and Student or at least redo it.
  • Doctors and medics that mostly do nothing at all and only very rarely do something for patients.
  • Permament cripples in hospital.
  • Opposite: goddamn suicides that avoid treatment.
  • No use for cruthes, or plaster, or soap. In fact, do hospital was tested at all?... I bet Toady tested it once on one or two dorfs, moved to other things and while doing them broke hospital. Yay.
Anyway I do not count very much on this "bugfix punch". At least half of it will be wasted on bugfixing new features - I have no doubts that 0.31.19 will be hardly playable. In additions, new features will broke some old things that was working previously. So some new bugs will be fixed, some old bugs will be fixed, some bugs that was created just in old thigs will be fixed, and net result is: we wind up with more bugs overall. Introducing new features before any decent bugfix cleanup is grave mistake.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2011, 05:59:32 pm »

Hospital and military fixes. You know, these two small, completely unimportant and unnecessary areas of game, that I for some strange reason I want to be fixed.  ::) There are many, many, very many other important bugs, but most pressing are military and hospital woes.
So...
  • Cannot follow orders. Oh Armok, CANNOT FOLLOW ORDERS.
  • Dwarves too retarded to discern between bolts, arrows, crossbows and bows. They rarely take any ammo, not to mention taking proper ammo.
  • Ways of teaching are screwed up and unusable. In short: unbalanced. In fact, I would do away with Teacher and Student or at least redo it.
  • Doctors and medics that mostly do nothing at all and only very rarely do something for patients.
  • Permament cripples in hospital.
  • Opposite: goddamn suicides that avoid treatment.
  • No use for cruthes, or plaster, or soap. In fact, do hospital was tested at all?... I bet Toady tested it once on one or two dorfs, moved to other things and while doing them broke hospital. Yay.
Anyway I do not count very much on this "bugfix punch". At least half of it will be wasted on bugfixing new features - I have no doubts that 0.31.19 will be hardly playable. In additions, new features will broke some old things that was working previously. So some new bugs will be fixed, some old bugs will be fixed, some bugs that was created just in old thigs will be fixed, and net result is: we wind up with more bugs overall. Introducing new features before any decent bugfix cleanup is grave mistake.

I might be misinformed, but I think you, kind sir, are in need of some
         Optimism!
Buy some at your local pharmacist
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 06:02:10 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2011, 06:17:00 pm »

I find this xkcd strip oddly fitting in this thread: http://xkcd.com/844/

As for fixes I pretty much want what other people do. Fewer contaminants, better hospitals, military, and Dwarves replacing clothes after they tear apart.

EDIT: Oh, and breeding mules. When I have horses and donkeys of both sexes around, there should be some mule foals.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 06:20:57 pm by Maklak »
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2011, 01:09:32 am »

For me right now, aside from glacial military training, the big game-breaker is crippled dwarves. I always end up with literally half the fort permanently bedridden because crutches do not work.

Overall... yeah, sounds like I want the same things as everyone else.  :P
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2011, 10:12:55 am »

catspolsion?

FPS - pathfinding is probs too beig for bug fix session, but giving us something better than the atom smasher for getting rid of objects. Perhaps the caravan arc will facilitate this.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Phenixmirage

• Bay Watcher
  • Weak vs. Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2011, 11:25:56 am »

*Dwarves not using their assigned rooms.

I enjoy giving my dwarves nice rooms, the least they could do is use them.  This gets especially annoying with nobles as they'll get pissy about sleeping in the hospital or barracks, but ignore the elaborate bedrooms I've assigned to them.  >:(
That was fixed a few versions ago.

Seriously?  Well, color my face red. I haven't played for a while and I guess it's showing.  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9