Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Human Fortress... Getting it right...  (Read 11488 times)

DeMasked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Human Fortress... Getting it right...
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2010, 12:32:30 pm »

I'd say Mr. Mayday would need to expand the human sprites a bit first.
DF's initial learning curve is more like a learning cliff, essentially the game shoves you off and expects you learn how to fly before you hit the ground.

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2010, 07:21:01 pm »

What exactly do you want from a human fortress? You can simply move the controllable token on any of the human civs in Genesis for example. Nords, Osmans and Wesmans all have different-styled weapons and equipment, so you should find one which suits your taste (osmans are a samurai/eastern nation, wesmans are knight/medieval nation and nords are mythological norsemen).

I'm trying to play humans in genesis but i cant get it to work. firstly i just copied the civ-controllable over but it wouldn't let me appoint any nobles or manage the military. then i tried doing it by basically just duplicating the dwarves and i still have the same problem. Everything seems fine but you cant play with no military or management. Is this a mod issue a bug or have i done something wrong when copying the stuff over?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2010, 07:54:41 pm »

What exactly do you want from a human fortress? You can simply move the controllable token on any of the human civs in Genesis for example. Nords, Osmans and Wesmans all have different-styled weapons and equipment, so you should find one which suits your taste (osmans are a samurai/eastern nation, wesmans are knight/medieval nation and nords are mythological norsemen).

I'm trying to play humans in genesis but i cant get it to work. firstly i just copied the civ-controllable over but it wouldn't let me appoint any nobles or manage the military. then i tried doing it by basically just duplicating the dwarves and i still have the same problem. Everything seems fine but you cant play with no military or management. Is this a mod issue a bug or have i done something wrong when copying the stuff over?

The reason for that is because they do not have appointed nobles. If you look at the dwarf civ raw section and compare it to the human civ raw section they are vastly different.

To fix this you can copy all the nobles from the dwarven civ and replace the human civ nobles (they have like 3)

The best way is to open a text document and go to each section and compare them side by side...then you can clearly see the differences and learn from that

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2010, 07:58:58 pm »

The reason for that is because they do not have appointed nobles. If you look at the dwarf civ raw section and compare it to the human civ raw section they are vastly different.

To fix this you can copy all the nobles from the dwarven civ and replace the human civ nobles (they have like 3)

The best way is to open a text document and go to each section and compare them side by side...then you can clearly see the differences and learn from that

I tried that after just moving the civ tag didn't work. I copied all the buildings/reactions over straight then copied the nobles over and fixed a few references to dwarves. had the same problem.

Could "[VARIABLE_POSITIONS:ALL]" have anything to do with it? or maybe the "LAND_HOLDER" options?

Also do you need to gen a world with these options or just replace the file in the saves folder?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2010, 08:00:43 pm »

Pretty sure you need to world gen...at the least it cant hurt

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2010, 08:36:09 pm »

I think i found the cause. I'm using a temporary version of win 7 between upgrades and so haven't turned on file extensions. I usually keep a backup of files by adding .BAK to the end and figured that since it changed the entity file name it wouldn't be read anymore but it looks like i was wrong. I've moved it to a separate folder now and everything seems to be working. Thanks for the help.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2010, 09:08:52 pm »

I am surprised that no one has more extensively made a human fortress mod specifically...I know things like genesis have different (added) human races and all but no one has made a playable human race mod (granted there is the wasteland mod and whatnot but none that have you play as humans in a DF world with minimal tweaking)...I haven't cause I haven't had the time...not that anyone else does either.

Perhaps...one day...I will be able to make one...I want to get into modding myself but I have been moving and dealing with life way to much lately -.-

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2010, 09:53:48 pm »

I am surprised that no one has more extensively made a human fortress mod specifically...I know things like genesis have different (added) human races and all but no one has made a playable human race mod (granted there is the wasteland mod and whatnot but none that have you play as humans in a DF world with minimal tweaking)...I haven't cause I haven't had the time...not that anyone else does either.

Perhaps...one day...I will be able to make one...I want to get into modding myself but I have been moving and dealing with life way to much lately -.-
after reading most of this thread I'm sort of considering making a pr0 one myself, but the issue to me is upkeep on it, I just don't have the time anymore to revamp everything each time toady releases a fix for something :D
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2010, 01:13:58 am »

after reading most of this thread I'm sort of considering making a pr0 one myself, but the issue to me is upkeep on it, I just don't have the time anymore to revamp everything each time toady releases a fix for something :D

same...last thing I wanna release a mod and then let it die or lag behind and have people hassling me lol

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2010, 06:26:00 am »

actually if default buildings could be disabled, I'd probably have made and released an overhaul on how crafting of everything works, using a tonne of dummy items, and automatic reactions.

nearly anything could be possible then building from that standpoint.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

newman0830

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2013, 05:25:40 pm »

I have noticed that with Lupin's RAWS he left out quite a few [TOOL] Castes

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2013, 05:36:26 pm »

That is one massive Necro; you sir, know the secrets of life and death.
'ere the Chias get hungry...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]