Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: DF Mod Manager [0.7.1 release]  (Read 48560 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: DF Mod Manager [0.5 release]
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2011, 08:17:24 pm »

Metamod copies the original mod and makes it so that the metamod can't be installed without the mod it was copied from. If you're taking Genesis and tweaking it, create a metamod of that and call it 'Genesis: my mod'. Then edit that.

If you reran dfmm with Genesis installed (to use that as core), and then imported your own version, it should show the differences properly. From there I think you can split the mod so that your changes sit by themselves, but I don't know if there's a way to save it as a metamod.

What do you mean 'kept the file'? Which file?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Mod Manager [0.5 release]
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2011, 03:48:09 am »

I've been fiddling around with this and it's a great little tool, helps a BUNCH for modding. Would it be possible for multiple selections when editing tokens, though? I've been wanting to do a total conversion mod but it takes a while to delete everything except dwarves in the creature file.

Valdemar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Mod Manager [0.6 release]
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2011, 07:45:30 pm »

Version 0.6 released.

Main window
  • The main mod list has been redesigned to a tree-like interface. Normal mods are shown at the top level, and metamods are displayed under their parents in the hierarchy.
  • The new interface allows you to reorder mods by dragging and dropping. The position of the two mods in the drag and drop operation will be swapped. You can also double click mods to toggle them as before.
  • The main window now displays "(Uninstalled changes)" in its title if any mods have been added, deleted, edited, reordered, toggled, etc since the last install. This "dirty flag" persists even after DFMM is closed. It is fairly intelligent, reverting if the change is undone, not triggering if a disabled mod is edited until it is enabled, etc.
  • Added an experimental "Import metamod" command. This command will import a directory of raw files, examine the difference between them and the raw files with the selected mod installed, and generate a metamod with the computed changes. This is useful if you have, for example, the Genesis files and the Genesis files with some of your own changes, and want to make your changes into a metamod. Some notes: if you delete an entire file in your changes make sure to keep the empty shell or DFMM will assume you want it unmodified. The import also sometimes picks up phantom changes. I'm looking into why this happens and how to fix it, but consider it experimental for now.
  • Added several keyboard shortcuts to the main window.

Editor
  • Added find and replace functionality to the editor through a new Edit menu. Note that although normal functions like Copy, Paste, Undo, etc are not present in the Edit menu, they are accessible through their default keyboard shortcuts or the text box's right click menu.
  • Added keyboard shortcuts Delete to delete an object and Alt+Delete to revert.

also, a feature request that might be a little too much... you know creature variations and material templates, etc? i mean objects that are defined in their own  raw entries, it'd be awesome if you could make it so these would hiperlink to their raw entries when used as tokens, and possibly display red when the link was broken, and in the raw entries of these defined objects one could select an option in the menu to search and display every entry referring to that object

I'll see what I can do with this for the next version.

I've been fiddling around with this and it's a great little tool, helps a BUNCH for modding. Would it be possible for multiple selections when editing tokens, though? I've been wanting to do a total conversion mod but it takes a while to delete everything except dwarves in the creature file.

This update should help with its delete shortcut. Alternately, you could blank all of the creature files (but keep the [OBJECT] tag) in a copy of the raws, import, and revert dwarves. I'll take a look at the multiple selection idea for next time.

Edit: Ninja bugfix- the dirty flag wasn't updating properly in some cases. If you run into this, redownload this version.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 10:44:49 am by Valdemar »

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2011, 08:48:59 am »

Good morning!

This keeps getting better. I'll be taking it for a spin today if I can get the laptop running. Thanks for all your hard work!

Rochndil, who definitely looks forward to tinkering...
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2011, 10:01:10 am »

Cool.
I'll wait for DF .22 though (shouldn't be too long now), then I can upgrade both at the same time.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Gorfob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2011, 11:23:33 pm »

Man i was thinking about something like this last night in bed. You saved me the trouble. Thank you sir.

Valdemar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2011, 10:48:21 pm »

At Artanis00's suggestion, I've moved the project from my private SVN repository to GitHub.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2011, 03:53:43 pm »

Why doesn't it differentiate between changes and additions any more?

Thanks for getting rid of the Ctrl- - bug, that one was a real pain.

Valdemar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2011, 03:59:05 pm »

Why doesn't it differentiate between changes and additions any more?

Thanks for getting rid of the Ctrl- - bug, that one was a real pain.

On the main screen? The tree view I switched to doesn't support lining up numbers in a table like before, and I thought something like (45/23/5) looked ugly and confusing because the numbers were all over the place.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2011, 04:41:31 pm »

Is there any way to get at the info? I was using it to keep an eye on those two things, since a deleted object can't be modified. Perhaps the program could treat a modification as an addition if it can't find anything to modify?

Edited for bug report: Delete deletes an entry even when typing text in the right-hand window.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 05:00:13 pm by Sutremaine »

Valdemar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2011, 05:52:12 pm »

Is there any way to get at the info? I was using it to keep an eye on those two things, since a deleted object can't be modified. Perhaps the program could treat a modification as an addition if it can't find anything to modify?

I'll add an option to redisplay all the numbers for the next version then. Can you clarify what you mean by keeping an eye on deletions though? It doesn't seem like a number alone is too helpful. Maybe some sort of automated conflict checker prior to installation would be most useful in the long run.

Edited for bug report: Delete deletes an entry even when typing text in the right-hand window.

Hmm, I originally intended that but I can see how it might be a little too easy to press. I'll change it to require focus in the object list as opposed to the editor.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2011, 07:39:32 pm »

Can you clarify what you mean by keeping an eye on deletions though? It doesn't seem like a number alone is too helpful. Maybe some sort of automated conflict checker prior to installation would be most useful in the long run.
The number itself, when not zero, is not so useful except as a guide to how many things need to be checked. Something that shows exactly where potential conflicts lie would be more useful, especially for multiple mods with deletions.

Hmm, I originally intended that but I can see how it might be a little too easy to press. I'll change it to require focus in the object list as opposed to the editor.
Thanks. Even if I weren't using the Delete key in text, it's right next to the Backspace key on my keyboard.

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: MODDING_UNDWARFY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2011, 03:36:57 pm »

I apologize, but this is gonna sound a big frustrated I think by the end.

And now to dive in:

I'm curious as to how it assembles files outside of the entity and creature entries. These are handled spot on (for the most part see bit later about comment text). If you fix a typo -but you fixed it in the raw dir accidentally (and not the mod dir) you can run it through UltraCompare (or any line by line comparison tool) and quickly add it to the mod dir as well. "It was 4am and what not... mistakes happen" some might say.

With reactions and buildings... even Core reactions and buildings it seems to scramble the files completely. They're perfectly fine for Dwarf Fortress don't misread me here. However if you hunt down and fix a typo at 4am(or fix a line for the particular DF version), and then when you get up later try to populate that to the mod dir... you'd better remember the exact line you changed. I say this because your files (mod or core) are not what ends up in the save directory. Alphabetized (or even just [REACTION:MB_DESTROY_STONE_V01], [REACTION:MB_DESTROY_STONE_V02] sorting) reactions get tossed all over the place ([REACTION:MB_DESTROY_STONE_V11] is at the top of the file... a few entries later a reaction from the bottom of the file is next... the bit at the top might be in the middle of the file)

Also file comments... even Toady One's in the Core files get played with... For example a list of Contributors who helped sponsor a creature. The Comment block is fine up until the last line or so, where the last line is slid into the next entry right under first line:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thus I'm curious how it recreates files. I'd just grab the files from DFMM's perspective but I'm also worried that if a given file changes enough the resultant dir might end up changed again.

So does it recreate line by line or some such (my suspicion hence why it is first) rather than create a blank file with the right number of lines and then fix those lines as it comes across them?
--
Eldrick Tobin
Behold the unimpressive Aspectus Lolin mod. || My Little Arachnid Fortress attempt...
I mumble to myself on tumblr... Sometimes about DF Modding.

Valdemar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2011, 07:25:20 pm »

Thus I'm curious how it recreates files. I'd just grab the files from DFMM's perspective but I'm also worried that if a given file changes enough the resultant dir might end up changed again.

So does it recreate line by line or some such (my suspicion hence why it is first) rather than create a blank file with the right number of lines and then fix those lines as it comes across them?

I see what you mean about the scrambling. Core files seem to be fine, which is why I haven't noticed it before, but new files from mods do appear to be reordered.

As for file comments, DFMM tries to move comments immediately prior to an object tag into the object data itself. This is so that when you view an object's data in the editor, the comments show up at the beginning of that object rather than at the end of the previous object. It looks like you've found a bug in that for multi-line comments, only the last line is moved.

I'll look into both of these issues for the next version.

To answer your question, the parser doesn't really think in terms of lines. It splits up the input files at the [<TYPE>:<NAME>] tags and collects all the objects together into an enormous ordered list. The mods are applied while the objects are in the list. Then, when saving, it starts with totally empty files, separates out the list by origin file and dumps the data back. Somewhere in there, the list must be getting rearranged.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 07:28:00 pm by Valdemar »

Valdemar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2011, 08:06:33 pm »

Released version 0.6.1.

Bug Fixes
  • The Delete key will no longer delete an object when the editor has focus.
  • Detailed added/modified/deleted numbers can be restored with a new option.
  • The order of objects added by a mod will now be preserved during import and export/installation.
  • Multi-line comments before an object definition are now properly incorporated into the start of the data.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9