Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: companions  (Read 3072 times)

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
companions
« on: February 27, 2011, 05:38:03 pm »

What determines whether or not someone will join me as a companion and how can I change their opinion?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
Re: companions
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 06:59:53 pm »

Number of completed quests and enemy/hero status with a civ will tell you whether or not you can recruit someone. That's why you can recruit bandits on occasion.
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 07:26:33 pm »

ok, that's good to know :)
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 05:53:07 am »

It also depends on your social skills (social awareness and empathy I think) and their personality (the "excitement seeking" trait) to an extent.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 02:07:57 pm »

Is there a max number of companions I can have?
Do companions have any other uses then to help in a fight and keeping bogeymen away?
Is there ever a reason why I should get peasants instead of warriors?

Cody1750

• Bay Watcher
  • The Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 03:56:24 pm »

The limit is 19 companions.
Dieing is easy, living is the hard part.
Cacame Awemedinade, Elven Dwarf King, the universes awesomest elf ever.  Follower of The Way of Axe, Blood and Coal
If your armor was 50% as good as two other civs and 30% as good as a third, do you really think you'd do well in war? That'd be like trying to engage a rocket-launcher mounted Humvee with a pistol riding a tricycle.

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 11:56:32 pm »

Anyone know if there is a way to disband your companions - other than the long list of fairly obvious and gory ones, that is...  ???

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 12:03:38 am »

I got 2 ways : A dragon (wich may be killed)
Run away from them , like a mountain
Desu

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 03:03:03 pm »

Anyone know if there is a way to disband your companions - other than the long list of fairly obvious and gory ones, that is...  ???

Burn them.
Slaughter them all.

Or, you could sleep, then immediately sleep again.  If your companions are still asleep, they'll be gone when you wake up the second time.

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 05:45:30 pm »

Ah, that second trick, that's the hookup. I don't like slaughtering my poor companions, and I'd like to be able to peaceably retire them once they start hobbling around without certain appendages.

martys1103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 03:20:15 pm »

But if you come to the same place where you left them, they will follow you again like nothing happened. At least this happened to me when I came into the town where I left my companions.

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 04:41:21 pm »

But if you come to the same place where you left them, they will follow you again like nothing happened. At least this happened to me when I came into the town where I left my companions.

That's why you abandon them in the wilderness.