Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Magma Machine Cannons: Are they feasible?  (Read 4164 times)

Ragingpantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma Machine Cannons: Are they feasible?
« on: January 11, 2011, 04:49:38 pm »

An idea occurred to me. After watching what happens when magma gets pumped off a cliff, it turns into a cone of raining magma. The way to weaponise this is simple interesting: Rows of magma pumps behind bars or fortifications set up on a ridge to shower the hot goodness of magma onto hordes/sieges/elven diplomats/anything dumb enough to approach. So, is this actually feasible, and can it be recorded?
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Machine Cannons: Are they feasible?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 05:39:13 pm »

The problem with this is that the magma fans out in all directions immediately instead of going straight forward and its hard to shoot more than 2 tiles.

I have this set up with 4 pumps, but I recon that I might be able to shoot another tile out if I add some more pumps from the magma sea.
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

Ragingpantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 05:46:05 pm »

The problem with this is that the magma fans out in all directions immediately instead of going straight forward and its hard to shoot more than 2 tiles.

I have this set up with 4 pumps, but I recon that I might be able to shoot another tile out if I add some more pumps from the magma sea.

My experience was when I pumped out of a volcano. The lava spread outward as it went down, so to make it viable, you'd have to have the reservoir of magma up many, many z-levels. I'll attempt to do so with help from another scientist. He isn't a !!SCIENTIST!! because he has yet to light himself on fire for a really bad and petty reason.
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

Hivemind

• Bay Watcher
  • PEEKABOO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 05:52:25 pm »

Not quite what you're looking for, but hey.

I had one fortress that I spent a long while creating a defense against sieges for. In involved a wall, 4 Z levels high and 4 units wide. Between the two outer layers was open space, filled with magma by a manual pump system fed by the magma sea. The outer portion of the wall had floodgates spaced at regular intervals, all linked to one lever in a room that remained locked unless necessary.

Pull the lever and it floods the terrain surrounding the fortress with magma.

I always wanted to create a secondary level on top of the walls along the same lines, but filled with water for obsidianizing/putting out fires. Never got around to it though.
Socks.  Lots and lots of socks.  It's the greatest Dwarven vice of all, outstripping alcohol by several orders of magnitude: the desire to own and haul as many feet-warming tubes of cloth as possible.
It's the tent of Hilarious Flying Shenanigans!  Everyone's favorite circus.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 06:30:26 pm »

is it feasible? technically... maybe

Depends on how feasible several hundreds or thousands of units of power worth of pumps is to you...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the best I can come up with... if you open all flood gates at the same time, both cannon should shoot the same time,same distance, and the pattern is repeatable as long as you have space behind your entrance
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 09:57:18 pm »

I've seen a thread where someone posted their fortress defenses. They had magma being pumped and a curtain was constantly being poured from the ceiling and through some grates in the floor, recycling it and preventing magma pools from forming. So basically, a magma resevoir and a couple of pumps to dump a small amount of magma on anything that comes through the front door.

sicksock

• Bay Watcher
  • Incompetent Marksman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 10:08:30 pm »

Not quite what you're looking for, but hey.

I had one fortress that I spent a long while creating a defense against sieges for. In involved a wall, 4 Z levels high and 4 units wide. Between the two outer layers was open space, filled with magma by a manual pump system fed by the magma sea. The outer portion of the wall had floodgates spaced at regular intervals, all linked to one lever in a room that remained locked unless necessary.

Pull the lever and it floods the terrain surrounding the fortress with magma.

I always wanted to create a secondary level on top of the walls along the same lines, but filled with water for obsidianizing/putting out fires. Never got around to it though.
That is the exact same defense system my fort has. You must be a wizard
"I've been a bad, bad little Dwarf and I must simply be beaten. Oh don't use a weapon, use your bare hands and make me feel it"

Hivemind

• Bay Watcher
  • PEEKABOO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 10:41:56 pm »

That is the exact same defense system my fort has. You must be a wizard

Socks.  Lots and lots of socks.  It's the greatest Dwarven vice of all, outstripping alcohol by several orders of magnitude: the desire to own and haul as many feet-warming tubes of cloth as possible.

Ragingpantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 10:50:08 pm »

Nonononono. The thing I'm trying to build uses screw pumps as the guns. See when magma comes out of the pump, it goes in the direction it gets pointed at. I saw it in action when I tried pumping lava off the top of a mountain, down a cliff, into a hole so that it would be used for my magma forges. When I did that, I saw that the magma shot out in a random spray. So I'm trying to weaponize the spray effect from the screw pumps.

sicksock

• Bay Watcher
  • Incompetent Marksman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 12:20:44 am »

perhaps have multipul screw pumps pumping into a 1 wide corridor to increase pressure so it shoots out.
"I've been a bad, bad little Dwarf and I must simply be beaten. Oh don't use a weapon, use your bare hands and make me feel it"

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 01:10:40 am »

Nonononono. The thing I'm trying to build uses screw pumps as the guns. See when magma comes out of the pump, it goes in the direction it gets pointed at. I saw it in action when I tried pumping lava off the top of a mountain, down a cliff, into a hole so that it would be used for my magma forges. When I did that, I saw that the magma shot out in a random spray. So I'm trying to weaponize the spray effect from the screw pumps.

This forum link has a good image:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=33837.msg503965#msg503965

More pumps, working in parallel, increases the size of the spray. Because the spray is circular, rather than a line, you need a ridiculous number of pumps working in parallel if you want to spray more than 5 tiles away.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 02:59:10 am »

As others have mentioned the magma likes to spread out. This wasn't a problem with my last magma trap.

I used 384 pumps, 4 on each of 94 levels, and 4000+ power to make a volcano in the middle of the map erupt. The map floods in no time at all.
Results:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A detailed explanation of it's workings.
A map from which the above image was created.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Hivemind

• Bay Watcher
  • PEEKABOO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 07:05:34 am »

As others have mentioned the magma likes to spread out. This wasn't a problem with my last magma trap.

I used 384 pumps, 4 on each of 94 levels, and 4000+ power to make a volcano in the middle of the map erupt. The map floods in no time at all.

Huh, guh, buh, wuh.

I commend you sir.

Ragingpantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 10:49:28 am »

More pumps, working in parallel, increases the size of the spray. Because the spray is circular, rather than a line, you need a ridiculous number of pumps working in parallel if you want to spray more than 5 tiles away.
Yeah, this will work. My plan is to unleash this on the top of an artificial cliff and instigate a war with my neighbors. They're capitals are maybe 5 squares away.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 12:06:54 pm »

Yeah, this will work. My plan is to unleash this on the top of an artificial cliff and instigate a war with my neighbors. They're capitals are maybe 5 squares away.

Magma cannons can be rather underwhelming for the effort required.

Watch this animation:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1567-yetanothermagmacannonproofofconcept
Pages: [1] 2