Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Will AMD pull itself together?  (Read 1756 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Will AMD pull itself together?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 12:19:53 am »

the 3.06 Ghz P4 must be a Northwood as they had low L2 caches compared to dual cores today.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 12:22:58 am »

Note, the 3G thing is actually not part of the CPU, before you put your tinfoil hat on. It is only equipped to accept, with a compatible 3G card plugged into the system, remote signals from Intel such as updates, as well as an anti-theft service primarily targetted at laptops. No 3G=no killswitch.

Also, it looks like the 'DRM' stuff is not so much about trusted computing as it is about HDCP compliance to stream movies online. I'm all for it. I was alla bout the 'ZOMG DRM can only be used for evil' train.. the last time it was claimed the apocalypse was coming, in every generation of processors since the Pentium 4, from both Intel and AMD.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 12:26:28 am by Tilla »

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 12:48:35 am »

Well, that's the DRM and killswitch that they tell you about, but that does not guarentee that the DRM secretly applies to more than HDCP or that the killswitch may be used for other reasons.

Furthermore, a CPU that can recieve updates and has a killswitch is little more than a massive sign saying "HACK ME", because a virus implanted directly in the CPU would be literally impossible to remove, or someone might figure out how to make every active computer use it's killswitch within a 5 kilometre radius.

I don't care how "impossible" it may be to spoof an update/killswitch trigger, according to intel, because somone _WILL_ do so eventually.
Eh?
Eh!

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 12:54:24 am »

I also don't know why people are propping up AMD as saints either - they supported Palladium/TCPA and all that just as long as Intel and IBM and all them did. They have just as much DRM as anyone else.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 12:58:06 am »

Well, that's the DRM and killswitch that they tell you about, but that does not guarentee that the DRM secretly applies to more than HDCP or that the killswitch may be used for other reasons.

Furthermore, a CPU that can recieve updates and has a killswitch is little more than a massive sign saying "HACK ME", because a virus implanted directly in the CPU would be literally impossible to remove, or someone might figure out how to make every active computer use it's killswitch within a 5 kilometre radius.

I don't care how "impossible" it may be to spoof an update/killswitch trigger, according to intel, because somone _WILL_ do so eventually.
#1 Rule of Digital Impossibilities: You're wrong, and it will happen eventually.
so this, basically? (No idea where I found this, its been sitting in my giant quotes.rtf file since who knows how long)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 01:03:32 am »

It is only equipped to accept, with a compatible 3G card plugged into the system, remote signals from Intel such as updates, as well as an anti-theft service primarily targetted at laptops. No 3G=no killswitch.
I, Robot anyone?
Tinfoil hat engaged  :P

I'm a bit confused as to what the DRM does.  It sounded like it had more to do with data being transmitted to your computer than what you did with the data once you got it.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 01:45:34 am »

It is only equipped to accept, with a compatible 3G card plugged into the system, remote signals from Intel such as updates, as well as an anti-theft service primarily targetted at laptops. No 3G=no killswitch.
I, Robot anyone?

I'm a bit confused as to what the DRM does.  It sounded like it had more to do with data being transmitted to your computer than what you did with the data once you got it.

From what I read of it, it sounds like it's just for encrypting 1080p video streams. I may be wrong though

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 08:23:39 am »

I, Robot anyone?

From what I read of it, it sounds like it's just for encrypting 1080p video streams. I may be wrong though

Meh, if the tech is in for it to encrypt 1080p video streams, what else can it do?

I've always used AMD. My dad is a die hard AMD fan, and has always put AMD processors in computers he's built. Even my laptop, which is built by HP, has an AMD processor.

I'm having no problems with the AMD Phenom II X4 940 (BLACK EDITION) processor that I'm using. For the 200 odd dollars that I bought it for, it puts out a good 3.0 gHz. Never overheats, and I could probably easily overclock it even without watercooling.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 08:42:48 am »

I've had both AMD and Intel systems (and even a Cyrix-based system back in the day). They both have their strengths and weaknesses. I just finished replacing my 1.8GHz Intel Core Duo based system with a 3.4GHz AMD Phenom II quad-core.

As to the multi-core argument, I didn't go looking for more cores as a macho thing or performance fetish....it's because you can't FIND a single-cole CPU anymore, and the Phenom II had a good price-point.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 [2]