Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XIX - Game Over, World Rescued!  (Read 54168 times)

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
Beginner's Mafia XIX - Game Over, World Rescued!
« on: January 12, 2011, 12:17:52 pm »

where doing this man
where making this hapen

Welcome to Beginner's Mafia! This is the nineteenth run of our Beginner's Mafia series.

In Beginner's Mafia, you will be pitted up with a Town IC (Inexperienced Challenged) who will help you play the game, and will be just as clueless, if not more so, about the setup as you, and a Mafia IC, who will be helping out the Mafia.

In Mafia, you are divided into two parts: Town and Mafia:
If you are Town, your goal is to lynch the Mafia. You do this by convincing others that one of the group is scum, and getting enough votes on them to lynch them.  The Town does not know who else is Town.
If you are Mafia, your goal is to kill off the Town until there is an equal number of them to you by getting them to lynch other Town or by killing them. You are given a kill each Night to kill any player in the game.  All the Mafia members know each other, and can communicate privately.

Each Day, everyone votes to lynch a player.  Vote for a player by posting their name in red.  You may change your vote at any time, remove your vote, or vote for No Lynch. Whoever has the most votes at the end of the day gets lynched, even if there is no majority. (Example: Nobody votes except for one guy, who votes Generic_Steve. Generic_Steve would get lynched).

The day will not end prematurely unless people vote to shorten the day. That is, there is no "hammer" in Beginner's Mafia, where X amount of votes (typically 51%) on a single person immediately ends the day with a lynch on that person. Some games do that, but not this one, and you would be explicitly informed in the rules if the hammer is active.

If there are tied votes for who gets lynched at the end of the day, the day ends in a no-lynch. (Two people vote for Generic_Steve, two people vote for Unassuming_Mary. Nobody gets lynched) 

Each Night, you send in your actions. The cycle continues until one side wins. Days are 48 hours and nights are 24 hours. Weekends count for zero hours.

Game rules:
  • You may not PM other players. The mafia will have a place to talk to themselves.
  • Never edit your posts, even to fix typos!  If you make a mistake, just double post- it's permitted here. Violation of this rule can lead to deadly repercussions.  I recommend using the preview button every time you post.
  • Never quote your role PM or any other PM sent to you by the mod.
  • If you need more time to discuss, you may ask for an extension.  If 1/3 of players ask for one, the day will be extended by 24 hours.
    • There are only two extensions allowed per day
  • Please don't forget about this game if you sign up! If you cannot continue playing, please ask for a replacement! I will prod you via PM if you do not post in 24 hours to remind you that this game exists!
    • Upon receiving your third prod, you are modkilled (removed from the game) for inactivity. Beware.
  • Upon being killed, you are entitled to one "Bah!" post, but you are not allowed to post any game-related content. After your Bah post, you MUST NOT POST AGAIN unless you somehow come back to life (impossible in this setup) or replace back in (you must have been town to do this). Failure to comply with this rule can lead to a bad reputation amongst mods, and difficulty in joining other games.
  • Never underestimate your importance, and always play to win!

In this setup, there are the possibility of extra roles. These roles are Cop and Doctor for Town, and Roleblocker and Godfather for Mafia.
  • A Cop inspects any player at Night. They are told that player's alignment, but not their role.
  • A Doctor may protect any player at Night. This stops that player from being killed.
  • A Roleblocker stops an extra role from using an action. This stops Doctors and Cops but does nothing for Townies.
    • Roleblockers do not actually discover if their attempts were successful or not; that would be too powerful because the roleblocker would know they found a town power role. It isn't an investigative role (the same goes for the Doctor)! The Mafia needs to find the town power roles the old-fashioned way: analyzing behavior and voting patterns.
  • A Godfather, if investigated by a Cop, looks just like a normal townie.

There is a 50% chance for any of these roles to show up. It is possible to end up with no extra roles.

Extensions require support from at least 33% of the players.  You may oppose extensions as well, which cancels out an extension request.  For example, if there were five players, with two requesting and one opposing, there would be no extension.  (2-1 = 1 of 5, which is 20%)

Along with opposing extensions, there is also the option to Shorten the Day or End the Day. They both work just like extensions, 33% required to pass with no objections. Shorten the Day removes 24 hours from the day (or ends it instantly if there are less than 24 hours left) and End the Day makes the day end as quickly as I can process it. Due to the nature of these requests, they also act just like Counter-Extensions.

Please bold requests/opposition to extensions, or Mod/my name if you want to ask me a question in-thread.  (IE: Mod: I have a question!)

Players: (9/9)
  • Zrk2, Cult Member, Lynched Day 3
  • vadia ---> TolyK, Cult Member, killed in endgame
  • UristMcDwarf, Cult Member, Lynched Day 1
  • The Captain, Cult Inquisitor (cop), Nightkilled Night 1
  • Azure Sepulchre, Paladin, won and survived!
  • warhammer651 ---> Ottofar, Cult Member, killed in endgame
  • Tyberix, Cult Member, Nightkilled Night 2
  • mukluk, Paladin, won and survived!
  • Darvi, Cult Member, Lynched Day 2

Player Replacement Queue

Town IC:
Toaster

Mafia IC:
IronyOwl

Helpful Links and Other Info:
Our own Bay12 Mafia tutorial
The Notable Games archive. Read a famous game from start to finish! Lern you sum history.
The Mafiascum wiki. Lots of theory, terminology, and game analysis.
An Interactive Flash tutorial by one of the Mafiascum.net people. Helpful visualization!

If you're still confused, join anyhow and we'll teach you!

And if you have any other questions, just ask.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 10:20:59 am by Argembarger »
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XIX - The Signups of Doooooom! (0/9 players)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 12:32:03 pm »

You should link to the notable games archive :D

(Also, thanks for linking in the Signboard!  That made me happy)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 12:52:06 pm »

Bah, mistake!

I meant "in your list of helpful links."  Sorry for that ^_^;;
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 12:55:59 pm »

done,

whoops,

and... done.
I can see it now.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 03:04:44 pm »

IN I've mafiad 3 times, and been lynched as a townie all three! Let's do it again!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 03:10:51 pm »

I'll be an unofficial IC, and replace when necessary.

Also, you could add some commonly used Abbreviations.
At least FoS, which is asked about in pretty much every BM.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 03:12:12 pm »

Fos
WIFOM
OMGUS

Yeah, stuff like that.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 03:39:24 pm »

in

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 07:13:46 pm »

Ok, I'll add something like that underneath Dak's bible.

Otto, do you want to be Town or Mafia unofficial IC?

Town, I guess, if you want to potentially replace in...
I can see it now.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 07:30:30 pm »

mod when somebody dies should they not write any longer, should they be active, or either way?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 07:32:07 pm »

mod when somebody dies should they not write any longer, should they be active, or either way?

One "Bah, you fuckers!" post with no game-related content, and then you're gone until the game ends (or if you're town and you replace back into the game for someone).

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 07:54:45 pm »

One "Bah, you fuckers!" post with no game-related content, and then you're gone until the game ends (or if you're town and you replace back into the game for someone).

This.

Someone check over the list of abbreviations I came up with, let me know if I missed anything.
I can see it now.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 08:03:57 pm »

Very good abbreviations-list!  I was quite impressed.

That said, ICs are in fact supposed to be better than average at this game >_>  That's why Ottofar is a fake-IC, not full-fledged IC.

(No offense meant to Ottofar, dude)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 08:24:18 pm »

I'm willing to IC again, town or scum.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 08:32:57 pm »

Sure, why not?  I'll town IC again if you'll have me.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29