Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (indie dev) Unreal World RPG (survival roguelike game)  (Read 3350 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
(indie dev) Unreal World RPG (survival roguelike game)
« on: January 12, 2011, 12:45:53 pm »

I wanted to share a game with you all called Unreal World RPG. Its like title says, considered a roguelike rpg. Not many people seem to have heard of it, but its a good game, made by I believe a Finnish indie developer. The game is about survival, getting enough food to eat for the Winter, having a water source so you don't die of thirst, building a shelter to protect yourself from the cold...that kind of stuff.

The full description and my thoughts are down below.

Here is the link: http://www.jmp.fi/~smaarane/urw.html

First about the game.

UnReal World is based off Finnish iron-age (as said on site)...believe the developers are based in Finland, but not sure, I know somewhere in Europe. Finland would make sense since that is where the game is based. There isn't killing epic dragons or orcs...no...the game is survival based. The game is very similar to Haven and Hearth, and to another degree, Wurm. The first year you start in the game (best to start in Spring)...the goal is to get food (fishing, farming, harvesting/foraging for berries or the more favorite but much harder to do, hunting), and find a source of water. As you need food+water to live. If you fail to have enough food, or can't find water, and don't have a shelter...come Winter...you'll freeze to death if lucky, starve to death at worst. Campfires are a great way to keep warm during the Winter. Which...you have a few variables...hunger...thirst...tiredness...if you are too hot or too cold. Plus, environments make a difference too. Are you in a swamp? Well, probably get tired and hungry a bit faster. Going somewhere cold? Be sure to keep warm by making campfires and what not.
Everything is crafted, though you can start in/by a village and trade to get equipment/tools/resources. Which speaking of which, there isn't really a currency in UnReal World...everything is barter based.
Also, you can start forest fires if you aren't careful, then again, this is a great way to get fertile farmland for growing food. Though, your home/shelter/etc... can burn down in a forest fire, if you don't plan right.
There are enemies to watch out for...enemy civilizations, and the wild tribe (can't spell the name, but you'll hear plenty about them)...that sends bands of hunters/warriors to other civilizations. Plus, bears or large animals can kill you if you get too close (BOWS ARE AMAZING! to hunt with)
You can pay as much (or as little) as you want for the game as well. There are three versions.
The three dollar version, which only gets you the current version and not any future version.
The 10 dollar version, which gets you the major releases that come out, but none of the patches in between. I plan on going with this one, since the patches mostly just fix bugs and maybe add some features...which may sound useful, but the next version is pretty expensive (at least for me)
and the 55 dollar version, which gets you all major releases+all patches in between.
I kind of like that, its kinda like a donation to an indie dev...pay 3 dollars to support them, or 10 dollars, or 55 dollars. Not too bad of a system really.

Very fun game, and it comes with a demo to check it out. If you like(d) Haven and Hearth at all, you will definitely like this. Or if you like survival games in general. Be sure to check the Wiki for it (just search Google), to help you get started...as its a very hard game to learn.

One negative I have is...movement is a bit weird. And the controls are different than I am used to, but thats easy enough to deal with...still, movement is kind of old style...but its not really game breaking, I'm sure I'll get used to it. The gameplay is quite a bit of fun if you are into this type of game.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (indie dev) Unreal World RPG (survival roguelike game)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 12:51:43 pm »

Ahem. Second page, currently.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (indie dev) Unreal World RPG (survival roguelike game)
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 01:17:11 pm »

Oh. I scanned through some of the pages, but guess I missed it. Sorry :(

Nice to see such a big thread about UW though. Guess this can be locked/deleted
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn