Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: Questionable Ethics  (Read 33159 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Questionable Ethics
« Reply #135 on: March 19, 2008, 04:49:00 pm »

Beyond Quality, but you already know that.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 19, 2008, 11:44:00 pm »

Thanks, although I wouldn't say I knew it or expected it (when I first started AKQ I, I half expected it would be a disaster), I definitely am glad at least one person thinks so highly of this  :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeln crouched in the backpack, but eventually rose to peer over Kazos shoulder. Kazo left the warehouse, and continued down the street. Still, the issue of making it back in time persisted. Walking wasn't sufficient at all, and it might be hours, perhaps days before he could catch a train or airship out. Perhaps there might be other transit offers? He remembered back to the kobold pilot... such things would probably cost him a lot of his gold, but it might be the only way. Kazo smiled as he walked, his mind wandering on his favored subject of flight.

Kazo continued, past a few houses, three streets down, to the right. As he walked, he noticed what appeared to be a cafe, although all the windows were broken, planters knocked over and shattered, and the inside was a mess all over the place, bolts sticking out of the walls in a manner that indicated that the building was fired upon from the outside, through the window. Kazo also noticed a small, empty lot, and shortly after, a deep buzzing of an engine approaching.

The buzzing grew louder. Kazo turned around to see a large vehicle headed straight for him at high speed. Kazo quickly jumped out of the way, Yeln hopping out and crouching down by the fence surrounding the empty lot. The vehicle slowed, and turned around at the intersection, turning to face Kazo again. The driver emerged from the open window, holding a hand crossbow. The driver was a male human, wearing rather expensive looking clothes and a purple hat with golden lining on the edge of the broad brim. The hand crossbow was gold plated in parts and had elegant designs present on it. The vehicle itself was designed in an elegant way, a class statement in itself.

Kazo looked at the purple in the vehicle... one purple had run away when he had interrupted the torture session. It seemed that purple had friends... The vehicle accelerated toward Kazo, the driver aiming, and firing. Kazo stood still. The bolt struck Kazo in the head, knocking his head back a little, but otherwise glancing away.

When will these people learn that those things don't work on me?

Kazo drew his spear. The driver was surprised at all this, but pulled himself back in, accelerating toward Kazo. Kazo build up an electric orb of mana on the tip of his spear, using the charge of the spear to aid in filling it. As the vehicle passed, Kazo leapt out of the way, swinging his spear, catapulting the orb at the engine grate. The orb was absorbed by the grate itself. The vehicle slowed and turned again, immediately accelerating back toward Kazo. Kazo built up as much charge as he could on the spear, and as the vehicle approached again, he hurled the spear at the vehicle, jumping out of the way again.

The spear went through the engine grate and struck the engine itself, discharging completely into it. Kazo ran after the vehicle as its engine popped, and stopped. The vehicle slowed. The driver attempted to start the engine again to no avail. Kazo cought up to the front of the vehicle and snatched his spear back, prying it loose. The driver ducked down as Kazo threw the spear through the windshield, shattering part of it.

The driver attempted to pull it loose, but the spear shocked him. The driver grunted loudly, and yelled a bit. On the next attempt, he used some paper booklets as insulation. Kazo watched as the spear was tossed aside. The driver tried to start the engine again, this time succeeding. The vehicle turned around again. Kazo began thinking of all the different types of magic he could cast to resolve this situation... but this was too easy. For the fun of the challenge, Kazo thought up a method involving no magic at all.

As the vehicle sped toward him, Kazo leapt back. Kazo landed on his back, the vehicle passing over him. As the vehicle passed, Kazo dug his claws into the underside of the vehicle, tearing through some wires and hoses. Kazo's hand snagged on the undercarriage as that section of it passed, violently jerking Kazo into motion. Kazo immediately let go, sliding under a tire, and promptly getting sucked under it. Kazo found himself slammed down to the ground, back down. Kazo lay there for a moment, noticing his arms and back were now rather sore, then got up, noticing his hands were covered in an oily fluid...

The driver attempted to slow. Fluid shot out from under the vehicle. He drew his foot up, and slammed down on the brakes, resulting in another burst of fluid but no change in speed. The driver leaned back, "AHHH!" SMASSSSH! The vehicle crashed into a rather strong looking brick building, impaling itself in the wall and sending up a plume of dust. Kazo laughed.

Inertia is a fun concept, I know!

Luckily, due to being slid over, the backpack and crossbow were spared being crushed. Kazo walked over to a nearby building, and used a gardening hose to clean his hands. Kazo noticed his shoulder joints were a bit strained, and a couple of the projections on his back were slightly bent. Kazo quickly repaired this minor damage, and continued, Yeln following close behind. Yeln walked between Kazos legs, rubbing against both as Kazo walked, "Mew?" Kazo snickered.

Kazo heard an apelike yell from above. Kazo then looked up, and spotted a very large person, likely a human, standing on the rooftop. This was indeed a very large human. The human looked at the wrecked vehicle and damaged building. A moment later, the human looked right down at Kazo. Kazo kept walking along, making his way down the street as the human stayed on the roof. Kazo smiled. If the human was intent on hostilities, it would be one more detail of this interesting challenge.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lately I've been having a bit more trouble thinking up ends to the updates that work. Sorry if this one wasn't quite as good.

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
    • Bay Watcher Arena V2.0!
« Reply #137 on: March 20, 2008, 01:10:00 am »

They're all great, and I look forward to reading each one every day!

(I just don't mention it)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 20, 2008, 08:54:00 pm »

Beyond Quality!

It is not as good as AKQ anymore, but the fighting is one area that has actually improved.

Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 21, 2008, 12:37:00 am »

Thanks to all  :)

Definitely glad to be reminded that I have more than one reader  :p

The combat is better? Perhaps it's more varied thanks to Kazo's various abilities.
Eventually, Kazo reached the corner of the second street and turned left. Yeln was walking back and forth, always near Kazo, sniffing the ground. Kazo heard a voice from above, "YOU!!" Yeln commented, "Mew?" The voice continued, "You trashed my patio!" Kazo hadn't even seen anyones patio. The voice continued, "You STOLE MY CAR!" Car...? Kazo thought about it, and for a moment wish he had. It would be a cheaper way back, after all. The voice continued, "AND NOW YOU WRECK MY HOUSE?!"

WHAM! Something very large landed atop a nearby vehicle. Kazo knew who it was... the human from the rooftop. The human hopped down from the vehicle. "Errh!" The human stood crouched, knuckles on the ground, covered in hair. The human drew in another breath. "ERRH!" The humans enormous, muscular body, covered with hair, tensed. The humans golden necklace had a golden amulet the shape of a G, studded with diamond, shining under the street lights. The human drew in another breath. "ERRRRRRH!" The humans round, apelike face snarled and scowled at Kazo, one eye half shut, the other wide open. The human yelled in an apelike manner, raised his fists, and pounded them on the ground. Kazo remembered, this was Daemon, AKA 'G', the crime lord controlling the ports. Kazo snickered.

That human looks like a... So THAT'S what 'G' stands for!

Yeln hissed and retreated from the apish human. Kazo drew his spear as Daemon ran toward him. Kazo thrusted at him, but he grabbed the spear. Kazo added his own energies to that of the spear, shocking Daemon. Daemon grunted, but managed to lift Kazo right up from the ground by the spear. Daemon then yelled, shaking a bit, torquing his body back, throwing Kazo from the spear. Kazo felt his gear coming loose, and as he hit ground, the backpack and the crossbow came loose, large bolts scattered from the backpack. Daemon threw the spear to the side, and ran toward Kazo, more furious than ever.

Kazo ran toward Daemon, leapt up, and came down with his mouth wide open. Kazo bit into Daemon's arm, but found himself torn away, leaving deep wounds in Daemon's arm. Daemon was surprised to find himself holding his foe by the tail. Kazo tried to snatch on with his claws but was yet again torn away by the tail. Kazo tried to pull free, but was whipped into the air, and smashed into the ground.Daemon pulled Kazo back by the tail. Kazo tried to et up, but Daemon stomped him down. Kazo bit into Daemon's leg, but he was torn away again, swung in the air, then thrown, slamming into a wall, then falling to the ground.

For a moment Kazo felt rather disoriented and dizzy, but this feeling soon went away. Kazo stood, shaking off as Daemon ran at him again. Daemon threw a punch, landing upon the wall as Kazo jumped away. Daemon threw another punch, then an uppercut, the uppercut barely grazing Kazos nose. Kazo grabbed hold of Daemons arm, and pulled him down, kicking him in the chin. Kazo then tailwhipped him in the head, backing off afterwards. Daemon seemed stunned for a moment, but then grunted furiously, picking up the electrified spear and, despite it shocking him, threw it right at Kazo. Kazo cought it clean out of the air, and stood ready with it, building up an orb of charge at the front, snickering.

Daemon coughed, grunted, and shook his hands from the pain of the jolt. Kazo built up more and more energy in the orb, easily enough to be quite damaging. Daemon picked up a large piece of wood, and as Kazo swung the spear to catapult the orb, Daemon threw the piece of wood. PZZP! The orb struck the wood, burning a portion of it. The piece of wood continued, Kazo jumping out of the way. It smacked into the wall behind.

Kazo gathered his mana to form a compressed, explosive orb in one hand, holding the spear with the other. As Kazo threw the orb, Daemon picked up a trash barrel as a shield. The orb struck the barrel with a loud BANG! The top of the barrel was blown open, flaming trash sent flying. Daemon raised the barrel over his head, and hurled it at Kazo. Kazo stepped to the side and tailwhipped the barrel, knocking it out of the way. Kazo dropped the spear, and smiled, forming an orb in one hand, heating the air within to the point of glowing, and forming an orb in the other, cooling it until the particles within seemed motionless.

Kazo threw the cold orb, Daemon jumping out of the way. Kazo noticed Daemon didn't seem to notice anything odd about a blue adamantine dinosaur throwing balls of glowing energy at him. Perhaps it was a side effect of whatever this human took in order to become so big and muscular? Perhaps it was something on the side? The cold orb continued back, striking the window of a passing vehicle. The window cracked and, a short moment later, shattered, frost forming around the edge of the window, the driver within scared nearly to crashing about this. Daemon ran up to the grass in front of the house, picking up a rather large stone.

Kazo ran at him, and as he approached, he threw the fiery orb at Daemon. Despite having closed distance, Daemons strength allowed him to move the rock quite quickly, shielding against the fiery blast. A streak of flame shot across the stone, a cloud of superheated gas dissipating into the air, streaming upwards. Daemon lifted the rock above him, arching backwards and yelling. Kazo stepped back, readying himself as if he were going to catch something. Daemon threw the rock at Kazo.

Kazo projected his mana outward, covering the rock with an envelope of solidified mana. Kazo slowed the rock in midair, the rock glowing blue a bit. Kazo built up mana between himself and the rock as Daemon approached, and as Daemon neared, Kazo converted all of the mana to physical force, catapulting the rock at Daemon, and knocking Kazo back a few steps. The rock struck Daemon in the gut, knocking him onto his back. Daemon grunted, and got up slowly, coughing. Daemon shuddered slightly, then yelled, running at Kazo again. Kazo built up mana in his hand, as much as he could channel in the limited time given.

Daemon charged in, but at the last moment before Daemon threw a punch, Kazo charged at all, ramming his palm into Daemon's chest, converting his built up mana to a pulse of force, sending a shockwave through Daemons chest. There was a slight popping sound, followed by a liquid-sounding gurgle. Kazo backed away, smiling. Daemon grabbed at his chest, and made a gasp that was cut short. Daemon then coughed up a large amount of blood, the blood trailing down his shirt. Daemon shook for a moment, fell to his knees, then fell flat onto the floor.

Kazo wiped his hands off, picked up his spear, shut it off, put it away, then took up the crossbow and backpack again, cleaning up the mess of bolts. Yeln ran up to Kazo, the both of them continuing toward the warehouse. Yeln looked right up at Kazo. Kazo picked Yeln up. Yeln licked the blood from Kazos fingers. Kazo snickered, his nose touching against Yeln's head. As they approached the warehouse, sirens could be heard in the distance.
I get the feeling I made Daemon a bit too tough, or at least gave that impression.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 21, 2008, 05:56:00 pm »

BQ
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 22, 2008, 12:03:00 am »

Thanks   :p
The sirens began to grow louder, moving down a street parallel to the one Kazo walked down. There was a screeching, the sirens changing direction and growing louder again afterwards. Kazo continued to the warehouse. As he reached the door, there was another screeching. Perhaps a car chase? There were no sounds to indicate combat.

Kazo opened the door, and walked in. The room within was filled with smoke from cigarettes and other commodities. At a table were several rather menacing looking humans drinking and discussing. On the other side of the room, a human was bench-pressing while a kobold was curling weights, the kobold smoking a cigarette. There was a makeshift bar at the back of the room, likely complete with contraband beverages, the bartender wiping down the bar, and far to the left, a kobold laying back in a chair with his legs on the table, smoking, and reading the paper. There were more spots open, and other makeshift rooms were built into the warehouse.

As soon as Kazo entered, they all looked at him. Kazo and Yeln walked in. One of the kobolds commented, "What the..." The sirens grew quite loud... it was evident they were directly approaching now. Another kobold commented, "Uh..." A human spoke, "Errrh SH*T!" Kazo felt the impulse to search all the rooms, but it seemed there was now am ore pressing issue. Everyone inside began scrambling out to the back door, weights hitting the floor and drinks spilled over the table, cigarettes dropped to the floor. Certain items and beverages, unmarked ones, were hauled away. Kazo stood there and watched them scramble out the back door. The kobold who had been reading the paper seemed last to leave... until their scrambling knocked a post down onto the door, slamming it shut in front of the kobold, and bracing the door shut. The kobold tried to open it with no success. He kicked the door, "Stupid F*CKS!"

The kobold ran toward a hallway between the makeshift rooms. Kazo followed. The kobold disappeared around a corner, and as Kazo passed the corner, he stopped, a short moment later feeling himself snagged and pulled into a small room, the door slamming shut, shrouding him in darkness. A short moment after that, there was a loud BAM! The door at the front of the warehouse had been kicked in, sirens still blaring outside. Kazo found himself standing against the wall of a small room indeed, nose to nose with the kobold.

Yeln?

Kazo looked around. "Mewww!" Kazo heard scratching at the door. As silently as he could, Kazo opened the door for a moment, letting Yeln in, then immediately shut it again. The kobold spoke under his breath, "Leave it shut, idiot! Who the hell are you?" Kazo spoke, in a similarly quieted voice, "I'm Kazo! Are you Tacaru Wanderbroken?" The kobold replied, "'swhat it says on my birth certificate. What do you want?" Kazo responded, "Your help!" The sound of boots stepping on wood and the clunking and clanging various items being overturned could be heard. The sirens cut off. Muffled voices from outside spoke,

"Nothin' here!"
"Nope."
"So they took their stuff with 'em? Back... there, see if there's any over there."
"Maybe any of them over there?"
"Doubt it... just go look dammit!"

The sound of boots on concrete could be heard approaching. Tacaru seemed to adjust something on the door with a claw, although it was barely visible. Tacaru spoke softly, "Why would I help you? After they're gone, get lost." Kazo replied, "So have you found out who killed your father?" A moment passed. Tacaru spoke, finding quieting himself to be difficult, "If we weren't locked up in here, I'd beat you up for even talkin' about that!" Kazo replied, "Do you know who had it done?" Tacaru sighed, "Some rich f*ck, I think. Probably somewhere near Steelflame." Kazo spoke, "His name is Rostus!"

Yeln mewed quietly. There was a banging sound as something slammed into the door. Tacaru spoke, "The science guy? Scientists don't... wait a... I never thought about it before. He's the only one I've heard of who fits all the dirt I dug up!" Kazo continued, "He sent me to kill you, but I won't. He wants me dead too! I'd like you to help me stop him!" The door handle could be heard jiggling. Someone was trying to open the door, and it wasn't working.

"Locked! I'm all outta ALs... Hey, you got any?"
"Don't waste our ALs, and don't waste our time. They ain't stupid enough to hide in there!"
"Ok."

A shaking sigh, full of fury, could be barely heard from Tacaru's mouth, "He's dead. If I ever find out you lied, you're dead. Got it?" Kazo took off the crossbow and gave it to Tacaru, "Yes. This might help you! I brought bolts too!" Tacaru spoke, "This... is a big crossbow!" Kazo replied, "There's a word in the middle but that's not important." The voices outside could be heard again, the sound of boots on concrete heard moving away,

"Nothin' at all."
"Dammit! They're headed south I bet. Call it in and set up a perimeter. Let's get out of here."
"Ok!"

They could be heard leaving. After they had left, the sound of a few vehicles pulling away, Tacaru unlocked the door, and they emerged into the hall again. They walked back to the main room, which was now left quite a mess. Kazo spoke, "Let's visit Rostus!" Tacaru looked at the mess for a moment, then replied, an expression of suppressed fury on his face, "Let's..."
Ok, I know there wasn't much here for this update, but it should pick back up with next one. I get the feeling that something in general about this update might've been a bad idea.

I'm starting to consider having this thread moved to the stories section. Not sure though.

[ March 22, 2008: Message edited by: AlanL ]

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 22, 2008, 01:39:00 pm »

Beyond Quality.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 23, 2008, 12:39:00 am »

Of course, thanks!

(This is becoming a predictable cycle... erm, HAS become... :P)
Tacaru took up a backpack. Seeing this, Kazo set down his backpack, and began handing Tacaru bolts, Tacaru placing them in his backpack. As they transfered the bolts, Kazo spoke, "So where can we board an aircraft?" Tacaru replied, finishing up, "The purples had a strip made pretty close to here. They didn't wanna have to drive far to get their sh*t from a barge to an airship." Kazo replied, "I see! Let's go then!" Yeln hopped into the now much more empty backpack.

Kazo wore the backpack, and they both exited the building, looking around before doing so fully. Kazo followed Tacaru back up the street, although not turning at the intersection. As they passed, Kazo noticed that Daemon's body had been moved. Only a blood stain remained. Yeln rested in the now much emptier backpack, kneading the bottom of it and purring. Eventually, they approached a group of police, their vehicles waiting at the side of the road, ready to chase down anything suspicious.

Tacaru commented, "I'm smarter than the average red.." Tacaru then covered his red colors with purple colors. They passed right by the police. The police saw them, and let them go by. After they were out of range of police attention, Tacaru removed the purple and tucked it back in his pocket.

If the police were their own organized crime force, would things be better or worse?

They continued down to a fenced off lot, a long lot containing a few windowless hangars and a dirt strip, a gate in the fence with a booth right by it. The booth was empty, and the gate was open. Two aircraft were present, one with 3 pairs of wings, double engine and medium sized, the other with two pairs, single engine and small.

The large one had its engine and belly open, and seemed to be undergoing repairs although nobody was there to carry them out. The small one, orange colored, had its female kobold pilot speaking with a human customer. It seemed Kazo had arrived too late, but maybe he could make a deal now anyway? He could arrange for her to return.

Kazo approached, but stood short, watching. The human had his luggage sitting on the ground. She sniffed the luggage all around, opened it, sniffed inside the bag, then pulled out a small bag containing a rather suspicious looking powder, "I knew I smelled somethin'! Forget it! All my runs are clean, I'm not running your sh*t. Go find someone else to take this trash over there." She tossed the bag at the human, the human catching it. The human replied, "But... uh, it's just sugar! Promise!" She replied, "My nose doesn't lie. Get lost!" The human packed up, sighed, looked around, then left. Kazo snickered.

The fact that these canids can talk makes the whole operation much more effective!

Kazo approached the pilot, "Hello! Do you have room for us? We'd like to be taken to Steelflame." She replied, "There's enough room. 130 moneys for the both of you." Tacaru spoke, "Are you kidding?" As Kazo set down his backpack, reaching around Yeln to fetch the money, the pilot spoke, "Hey, these things aren't cheap to run ya know!"

Kazo fished out the rather generous sum, finding he was now actually running low on funds, and gave it to the pilot. The pilot smiled, "Ok, that's a deal! Hop in." She climbed up the side of the aircraft, hopping into the cockpit, dropping the money down into a compartment under the seat. Kazo put his backpack on, walked up to the aircraft, leapt up, and caught the edge of the passengers seat, crawling in and sitting to one side. Tacaru climbed up, climbed in, and sat on the other. Tacaru sighed, speaking softly, "This is sh*t. It's my first time on one of these and I can't get any joy out of it." The engine started, and sputtered up to idle. The engine sped up a moment later, the aircraft taxiing forward toward the strip.

After a few moments, the aircraft slowed, turned, then the engine roared up to full. The aircraft buzzed down the strip, and as the air caught the wings and pushed them upward, the aircraft lifted off. Kazo smiled, feeling the wind against his face, the city sparsely lit below. Yeln also poked his head out, "Mewww?"

The aircraft ascended. Yeln hopped down into Kazo's lap. Kazo petted Yeln, and began playing with him, smiling as Yeln rolled about, catching and nibbling Kazo's fingertips, licking them afterwards. Eventually, Yeln yawned, stretched, and curled up. Kazo then peered toward the ground, smiling, observing anything he could. Tacaru stared off into space, as if gazing back into the past.

Eventually, Tacaru spoke, difficult to hear over the wind noise, "Hey, when we get there, I... I'm gunna get some more help from a friend of mine. You go ahead." Kazo replied, "So why couldn't I wait for you? How will he help?" Tacaru responded, "He'll give me some nice stuff, it makes you forget all about danger! I want you to go ahead so I can cover our tail." Kazo replied, snickering, "I see. So, pilot, why 130 moneys?" The pilot replied, "I recoup my costs by seat usage. Kobolds only take half a seat. A kobold is 90, every extra after that is 40 more. Humans are 130, every extra after that is 60 more. If it's a mix then the human always counts as the first one."

The aircraft continued at high speed, but time still passed as they moved. Eventually, Kazo saw the barely noticeable lights of Steelflame, most of the town being underground. The aircraft began to descend and slow. Yeln woke, and as the aircraft circled downward, Kazo let Yeln eat. The engine idled, and the aircraft touched down with a slight screech, an even slighter screech as the tail end touched down. Yeln commented, "Meewew!" Kazo snickered, scritching Yeln on the top of the nose. The aircraft slowed down, turned, and taxied toward a hangar, stopping. Likely it was early morning now.

When the aircraft stopped, the engine shutting down, Yeln hopped into Kazos backpack. Kazo smiled, and climbed down, Tacaru climbing down after. Kazo spoke, "Thanks! Good luck!" The pilot replied, "Take care!" Kazo and Tacaru walked across the tarmac. Tacaru spoke, "I'll see you there." Kazo replied, "Sure!" Tacaru then parted, walking toward the entrance to Steelflame. Kazo thought about what Tacaru had said. Something to make Tacaru forget danger? What was Tacaru planning that would make him need that? Whatever it was, it could be something neither he nor Rostus had anticipated. Kazo waved his tail, eager to see what Tacaru would do. Where would his actions lead?
I know it's another dull update. I got pushed pretty late and I want to write the next part while fully awake.

On the bright side, the spell checker underlines a lot less than it used to.

[ March 24, 2008: Message edited by: AlanL ]

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 23, 2008, 09:37:00 pm »

Beyond Quality.

is there even any meaning in me posting this any more?

could someone else than me post sometime? does this thing only have one loyal reader? (if you are reading this; POST! post if only an nonsensical post consisting of "BQ!"!)

Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 24, 2008, 12:56:00 am »

Yes, there is meaning. At the very least it lets me know I didn't screw up in some horrible way  :p

Also, I think it's been made evident that others do read, they just don't post regularly.
Kazo left Steelflame, headed toward the mountains, barely visible in the darkness. Kazo minimized the bounce from his footsteps, making his way across the badlands and over the mountains as fast as he could with Yeln in his backpack. Kazo stopped at the top of the mountain and at the river in order to allow Yeln to drink and snack. As Kazo approached the town, he ran the situation through again in his mind. This was the perfect chance to take Rostus by surprise. Teleporting directly to Rostus would be a bad idea, as Rostus, with his magics, would sense Kazo's arrival, but teleporting through the hatch in order to avoid the noise of opening it would be stealthy enough.

Kazo quieted his footsteps as he entered town. Rostus, unaware of Kazo, would be easy pickings, unable to trigger the device before his demise. Kazo smiled. He decided he would leave Rostus with a smidgen of life left, that way he could see what Tacaru wanted to do to Rostus. Kazo approached the hatch. He set down his backpack, Yeln commenting, "Mew!" Kazo spoke, "Don't worry!" Yeln expressed concern. Kazo continued, "This should only take a moment!"

Kazo crouched low above the hatch, and swiftly projected his soul downward and forward, his material self and possessions disappearing from the material plane as they were dragged aloft behind. Kazo navigated downward swiftly, and allowed his material self to drop back down to the material plane, appearing at the bottom of the stairwell. During this, Kazo sensed a presence... he felt as if he were being watched.

Kazo quietly and stealthily moved down the dark corridor, peeking around the corner. The living area was dark, nobody present, although there was light coming from the laboratory. Kazo snuck along the wall, and having not made any sound at all, slowly peeked through the door. Rostus was inside, looking directly at Kazo as if the walls were transparent to him, one hand in a pocket. Kazo realized, some force had informed Rostus about the whole plan ahead of time. The surprise was ruined. Noticing Rostus' hand in his pocket, Kazo felt, the entire thing had been turned into a trap. Rostus would act no matter which way Kazo went, hence there was no escape. There was only one chance left.

Kazo leapt through the door, and began gathering an explosive orb in each hand, readying to throw before the orbs were even complete, but a movement of Rostus' hand made it all seem futile. It felt like an explosion in Kazo's chest, followed by his entire body engulfed in a burning sensation, his vision flashing to white. Kazo felt himself attempt to yell out but was unsure if anything came out or not. A short moment, and Kazo had lost consciousness.

Kazo collapsed, and fell limp, the glow of his eyes vanishing. Rostus calmly walked over to Kazo, pulling the rectangular control out of his pocket, the antenna visible. There was a control dial on it, and it was not set to maximum. Kazo wasn't quite dead... but Rostus considered it close enough for his own purposes. Rostus spoke, picking up Kazo, "Death won't be a retreat for you. I shall hold your soul captive until I am satisfied your betrayal has been repaid..." Rostus placed Kazo down atop a machine, opening Kazo's chest plate, "Beforehand, I have some business to take care of around town..." Rostus clamped the rods all the way in in Kazo's power supply, preventing it from working, and walked away.

Yeln scratched frantically at the shut hatch cover, "MEEEW! MEEEEW!" The hatch opened, and Rostus stepped out. Yeln scrambled backwards, "HSSSSSSSSSS!" Rostus looked at Yeln for a moment, then shut the hatch, continuing on. Rostus walked around until he found the lead guard, a female human clad in steel and carrying a heavy crossbow. Rostus approached, "Hello, guardian of this town!" The guard replied, "If it isn't Rostus! Pleased to meet you!" Rostus smiled, "Thank you." His smile faded, "I have come to inform you of an imminent threat to this town, known by the name of Tacaru. He is a red from Shadedports, heavily armed and very dangerous. As you know my actions have been a long term problem for the criminal scum there. This red is here on a mission, namely to assassinate me. He will also likely attempt to damage the whole town as much as possible. I recommend care in dealing with him."

The guard replied, "I can tell by the look on your face this isn't the first time." Rostus replied, "Unfortunately... Aside from that, I also do feel much more secure thanks to this brave and honorable force. For this, I thank you. For now, I'll remain in my bunker. I would rather not be cought out here should things become unpleasant..." The guard spoke, "I understand. I know there's a few people around here who lost family to the reds too. I'm one of them." For a brief moment, Rostus expressed a knowledgeable smile. The guard continued, "I'll see to it everyone who can defends this town."

Kazo and Rostus were no longer watched, but it was only a matter of time before new forces arrived. Time did pass, and the night drew to a close, the guards placing themselves and their equipment into position. Rostus, on the other hand, rather than tending to Kazo, tended to the contents of the garage... perhaps in preparation for tending to Kazo. It had begun raining. Minutes before dawn, Tacaru approached the town, the weight of the drawn Big F*cking Crossbow giving his walk an odd form. Tacaru had ratcheted it fully back, loading a 'standard' heavy bolt into it.

Tacaru stepped up a hill, drinking from a canteen. He finished, and put the canteen away as he approached the top. As he reached the very top of the hill, he saw below a searchlight mounted on a vehicle, sweeping its beam across the top of the hill, and it was about to reveal him, several heavily armed guards standing by below. Just before the beam swept over him, there was a popping sound. The beam vanished, the glow of the light turning a much dimmer orangish, then fading. There was escalating chatter by the searchlight, and it seemed the guards were now distracted with trying to repair it. Tacaru took advantage of this to make his way toward the side of the town through the deep darkness around. He sighed, holding the large crossbow pointed ahead as he moved in. Tacaru cared little for these people. His goal was simple, the gruesome death of Rostus. Meanwhile, Yeln stood near the hatch, looking down at the impermeable barrier, waiting and hoping for a way to get through.
I was originally planning to go through more, rather than just leaving these parts as their own update, but a combination of being delayed and having school tomorrow meant I lacked the time.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 24, 2008, 06:38:00 pm »

:(

Beyond Quality.

Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
    • Bay Watcher Arena V2.0!
« Reply #147 on: March 24, 2008, 08:04:00 pm »

In the previous to last one:

Kazo replied, Yeln hopping into the now much more empty backpack, "I see! Let's go then!"

Seems a bit awkward, because there is so much space between "Kazo replied" and his actual reply.

Kazo approached, but stood short, watching. He had his luggage sitting on the ground.

Could be stopped short, but what you wrote may be good.  Also, it sounds like you're talking about Kazo's luggage in the next sentence, though from the context, it appears to belong to the random human person.

Kazo put his backpack on, walked up to the aircraft, leapt up, and cought the edge of the passengers seat

cought -> caught

The aircraft ascended. Yeln hopped down into Kazo's lap. Kazo pet Yeln...

pet -> petted

catching and nibbling Kazos

Kazos -> Kazo's

Kazo then peered toward the ground, smiling observing anything he could.

Probably needs a comma after smiling.

Kazo thought, something to make...

A colon might fit in better than the comma.

Whatever it was, it could be something neither he or Rostus had anticipated.

or -> nor

[/nitpick]  Lol

Beyond Quality, grammar or spelling stuff is irrelevant to this item's quality level, as they are only decorations (lol, DF referencing).

BQ-BQ-BQ-BQ-BQ-BQ-BQ-BQ-BQ-BQ-BQ-BQ-BQ-BQ-BQ-BQ-BQ-BQ-BQ-BQ-BQ-BQ-BQ-BQ
Hmm, too much like BBQ.

Beyond Quality!  Beyond Quality!  Beyond Quality! ad infinitum

[/ramble]

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 25, 2008, 01:02:00 am »

Thanks  :)

Much appreciated, I fixed the post.

I expect this will be quite short due to time constraints. I really need to free up more time. (nevermind, ignore)
Tacaru heard boots trampling upon dirt and wood. The guards were looking for him. They had been informed. It was obvious he was facing quite a bit of resistance. Most of his life he had been merely a transient thug, and he felt it a deep disgrace. It had been so long... if Rostus truly was the one who killed his father, after this, he thought, there would finally be closure. He could move on, and leave the nightmare behind.

Tacaru snuck into town, reaching a building, and leaning upon its back wall. Tacaru then snuck along the back side, toward a corner. Upon reaching the corner, he looked up at the adjacent building, and saw a sharpshooter on the roof, crossbow aimed directly for his head. Tacaru instinctively jumped back. The sharpshooter fired, and through an odd chance, the bolt slid crooked down the bow, jamming it half way! The sharpshooter grunted in annoyance and crouched down, "Piece of..." The sharpshooter then tried to clear the jam, resulting in the half-jammed bow releasing the rest of its energy through the mechanism, causing the sharpshooter's hand to get caught in it. The sharpshooter grunted again, louder and this time of pain, "F**K!"

Tacaru crouched down low, finger pressed firmly upon the trigger, and slowly emerged from behind the corner. A guard rounded the adjacent corner, and just as the guard spotted him and began aiming, Tacaru fired. The crossbow jerked back with high force, slamming against Tacaru's shoulder and rotating upwards somewhat. The cone of shrapnel flew at immense speed, striking the guard in the gut. Her abdomen shot out a cloud of blood, shredded down to gore, her guts spilling out. She gagged, failed to gasp, then collapsed. Tacaru's shoulder immediately began to feel sore. Tacaru jerked back behind cover, a bolt whizzing through, grazing the corner of the building with a SPAT! Tacaru looked past the corner, and saw nobody. He snuck his way across to the adjacent building, and looked again. Nobody seemed to be there.

Tacaru ratcheted back the immense crossbow. It took quite a bit of strength, and quite a bit of time, but he eventually managed to, loading in another 'standard' heavy bolt. When he was done, Tacaru noticed a small piece of terrain seemed to have moved. Tacaru snuck along the other wall, then crouched low, moving through the darkness toward this piece of 'terrain'. He saw a bolt whiz out from that area, and attempted to jump away. His efforts weren't sufficient, but he had also pulled the enormous crossbow in, almost as if it were a shield. The bolt struck the crossbow, glancing away, leaving nothing but a slight dent! That wasn't his first intention, but it seemed luck had been on his side.

He ran towards the hidden sharpshooter, and fired, the recoil pushing him back. THWAP! For the most part, he missed, but part of the cone still grazed the sharpshooter's head and back. A bit of blood shot up. The sharpshooter gasped, fluid running down his face. A moment later, the sharpshooter let out a deep sigh, the flesh on his forehead quite mangled.

Tacaru ran down the path toward the inner part of the town, ratcheting back the enormous crossbow on the way there, loading another 'standard' bolt. As he approached, he saw several figures march through the dirt paths. The winds picked up, and thunder cracked down. He snuck up to a building, searched in his pocket, and pulled out a small round container, opening it. Now was a suitable time... He ate the pills, and discarded the container. He need not be stopped by any of them...

Tacaru snuck around the corner, to the opposite wall, then heard footsteps approaching. He spotted sharpshooters on the opposite building, one on the roof, one on a balcony, but he was already too far ahead to go back. Tacaru ran forward. As he did so, the sharpshooter on the roof crouched down to fire, but as she attempted to lay prone, she slipped on the wet roof tile, sliding off onto the balcony, landing on the other sharpshooter, a bolt being loosed, flying into the stormy skies. Tacaru kept running, turning and sliding as he crossed the corner. He snarled and fired at the crossbowman approaching, caring not of the crossbowman's weapon. The recoil of the crossbow caused Tacaru to slide back, the crossbow angled nearly vertical. THWAPP! The shrapnel hit the crossbowman right in the face. Blood shot out from the eyes, and gory bits of flesh were cast up into the air. It seemed half of the crossbowman's face was shot clean off. The crossbowman stumbled, and collapsed, brain fluid leaking from the eye socket.

Tacaru crouched by the wall of the building, sneaking around the buildings, making his way toward the center as he ratcheted back again, careful to avoid any patrolling guards. As Tacaru was loading the bolt in, he noticed that the bolt was larger, designed NOT to fragment at the end, and colored red. Tacaru passed an intersection. "ZERRRRH!" Tacaru turned to see in the distance a human wielding one light dual-crossbow in each hand, an expression of hatred for all reds painted upon his face. For a moment, the air seemed to become electrified, static charge running up from the ground.

A streamer of broken down air shot down from the cloud, aimed directly toward Tacaru's head. The streamer suddenly stopped, forming a node, and continued its arc in a different direction, right toward the human's head! The streamer then stopped again, arcing toward Tacaru once more. As it neared the ground, the arc seemed to zigzag back and forth, in the end, landing between the human and Tacaru. Charge from the ground shot up through the streamers tail to meet the cloud. BANGGGGG!

The blinding flash and deafening roar left Tacaru with saturated vision and ringing ears... for a moment it seemed like music and rather pretty colors. Indeed, he felt a bit light headed. As if it were an impulse, he suddenly chuckled. When his vision returned, he saw the human, still holding the two dual-crossbows, shaking off the effects of the bolt. The hatch and garage lay close behind. Tacaru felt no need for worry. He ran right at the human. The human fired twice from each bow. One bolt struck the ground by Tacaru's feet. Another whizzed by his head. A third struck him in the upper left leg. A fourth striking him in the gut, becoming firmly lodged in the wound. Tacaru felt very little of it, stumbled, and continued on.

Tacaru fired, almost loosing hold of the crossbow this time. The large, red bolt flew through the air, striking the human in the chest. BOOM! The humans chest was blown clean open, an arm and the head parting from the rest of the body, flying through the air. The head splatted down to the ground, the dead face still showing an expression of hatred. The dismembered arm then landed in front of the head, the hand making an obscene gesture toward Tacaru. The whole area around was spattered with blood.

Tacaru ran toward the hatch, ignoring his wounds, ratcheting back the crossbow again, loading a standard bolt. He reached the hatch, and opened it quickly. "MEEWWW!" Yeln immediately zipped through the opening, disappearing down the stairwell. There was a clicking sound. Tacaru turned to see yet another sharpshooter on a roof, only this time he was the one unprepared. A gust of wind forced the sharpshooters aim away as she fired, Tacaru jumping back, but immediately after, another, powerful gust, carrying the scent of blood unlike the previous, blew through the town. The air currents carried the bolt in a curve, the bolt striking Tacaru in the chest, piercing his heart and becoming firmly lodged in the wound. Tacaru felt his body seize up... but felt no pain. He shook, but was unsure why.

He heard a creaking. Tacaru turned and aimed, his strength fading. Rostus exited the garage, and looked up, to see the blood covered, red-marked kobold, several bolts sticking out, aiming a disproportionately large crossbow right at him. Tacaru aimed, bleeding all over, a grin on his face, a sort of happiness present. Tacaru felt oddly calm, almost like laughing although his body wouldn't permit. Rostus stumbled back through the doorway, attempting to close the door, but before he could do so, Tacaru fired, letting the crossbow leave his grasp. Rostus jumped away as Tacaru fired, but some of the shrapnel still flew through into his gut. Rostus yelled out loudly, and collapsed to the floor.

Tacaru felt his strength leaving him rapidly. He collapsed to his knees. He smiled, and seemed to giggle, spitting up blood afterwards. Tacaru then fell to the ground. He felt happy. He finally had closure. He was moving on from this nightmarish, shameful life, and soon, he might even be able to talk about this, and so much else, with his father. A smile still on his face, Tacaru let out a sigh, then lay motionless.

Rostus lay on his back, grunting and swearing, blood flowing out from his mangled abdomen. He picked out the pieces of shrapnel bit by bit, grunting with each one. He found himself weakening quite a bit, and knew if he didn't hurry, blood loss would claim his life. After picking out the worst, he used what mana he was provided with to begin healing himself. Indeed, the use of magic changes how 'mortal wound' is defined.

Yeln darted into the laboratory, and leapt up to Kazo, rubbing and purring, but then noticing Kazo's state. Yeln looked around, and saw a clamp in Kazo's chest that obviously wasn't supposed to be there. Yeln felt an impulse to pull the clamp away. He tried, but it wouldn't budge. He bit down on the handle and tried pulling it loose, or maybe unscrewing it, but it was screwed on too tight. Yeln looked around, and spotted a ledge above with some equipment on it. Yeln hopped up onto the ledge, moved around, and in frustration, knocked off a candle from the ledge. The candle fell, and struck the clamps handle. With a squeak, the handle turned a bit.

Yeln hopped down, and pulled the candle out of the way, spitting it onto the floor. He then batted at the handle of the clamp. The handle spun around, the clamp loosening. Soon after, Yeln pulled the foreign, intrusive clamp away, and tossed it off the machine. Yeln then proceeded to nuzzle Kazo's face, tucking himself next to Kazo and purring in order to comfort himself. The rods on Kazo's power core extended slightly, then a bit more. Dawn was breaking.
This ended up being a rather long one. I got a second run of awakenness, and used it to continue writing into the night. I felt this should all be one update.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 25, 2008, 09:13:00 am »

Now THIS is Beyond Quality!

That is one smart cat, like all cats are!

Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13