Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: Questionable Ethics  (Read 32856 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Questionable Ethics
« Reply #180 on: April 08, 2008, 03:29:00 am »

For being such a good engineer Kazo is surprisingly STUPID!  :mad:

Beyond Quality.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 08, 2008, 09:01:00 am »

Sorry to post of topic, but this thread is the fastest way I can reach you.
Check your PMs at this forum as oftenly as posible untill I say otherwise.
It is importnant.   :(

(edit: this meage is for AlanL)

[ April 08, 2008: Message edited by: Armok ]

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 09, 2008, 01:45:00 am »

Hopefully I can wrap this up today.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Even though for that brief moment, he didn't want to think about it, Kazo found himself thinking about it afterwards. How could it have been prevented? It began raining as Kazo swam. Why had he so focused on the boulders? He thought about it more... Armok watched the entire incident. Teleporting away would've been a move easily seen by any astral being of that scale, and just as easily blocked. No shield would be able to withstand such a crushing blow as a boulder landing directly on top. Perhaps he would've died with Yeln had he not acted to deflect the boulders. He continued swimming, eventually reaching the shore.

The rain began to let up. Kazo carried Yeln's body up to the top of the shore, finding a patch of badlands in view of the water. When the rain let up enough to not pose a flooding risk, Kazo cleared a patch of mud away, and set Yeln's body down, using a stone to dig a small covered space below the packed surface. He dug it deep enough to shield the space within from heat and cold, then placed stone within, fitting it together with pebbles when needed in order to prevent water seeping into the space.

After checking everything thoroughly, he slowly placed Yeln's body within the space in a comfortable, natural position, sealed it with a rather flat stone, then buried what remained of the opening. Kazo took up the stone he used to dig with, conveniently shaped for the task, and held it with the back facing him. Using another stone as well as intense heat, finishing it with his claws, Kazo etched "Yeln" into the digging stone, and added "1879." Below that, "I'll always remember you!" Unfortunately, there was no more room after that. Kazo planted the stone firmly into the ground at the front of the burial site, standing back to check what he did.

Kazo would never forget Yeln. He remembered back to all that they had done together... He found himself smiling, his tail rising up for a moment as he remembered. Kazo looked down, and spoke, "Thanks!" Kazo hesitated a moment. His sadness was dissipating already. He knew Yeln's soul could venture or stay wherever he so wished now, and Yeln wouldn't want him to mope around. Kazo would recover. For another moment, he thought about this, then decided it was time to move on. He did so, following the stream back upriver.

Kazo ran back upstream along the side of the river, thinking about this and his entire stay in this era as the day continued on, eventually becoming night. The rain picked up again. He enjoyed the feeling of raindrops falling onto his plating. Once, he leapt through the cool rain and breeze, leaping over a piece of river. He found that although he would feel sad about Yeln, it meant small things made him happier. He realize just how far off course his adventures had left him from his original goal though... he still had quite a bit to learn about this era.

The night continued on. Though he might bring his mood back up, he felt deep down inside the weight of what had happened. He would miss having Yeln at his side. Still, he had a lot ahead. He continued moving. He crossed the terrain, and after a long while of running, passing across plains, up hills and through valleys, slowed down as he saw himself approaching the mountains harboring Steelflame. Kazo noticed his rods extended quite a bit. He noticed his power core had become sluggish since he had received fuel from Rostus. Since Rostus could make any of it at all, sometime in the relatively near future, more fuel would probably become available. At that time though, the only source was gone. Perhaps soon, as a matter of survival, he would need to sleep again.

He snickered as he thought the main reason for his self-preservation was that he wanted to learn as much as possible as close as possible about what lay around him, before learning what the afterlife was like. As Kazo approached, he heard laughter, spotting a kobold dancing in the rain, a bolt of lightning arcing overhead. Kazo approached, and noticed it was Raven, usually known by his gloominess but apparently not in these conditions. Kazo approached, curious as to why this change had occurred, "Why hello!" Kazo felt Raven's positivity quite contagious. Indeed, he had found himself quite more sensitive to such things since Yeln... Raven replied, "Hi! It's beautiful! Isn't it?"

Kazo looked up. The dark clouds slowly swirled above, their bulges enveloping into one another, pouring down rain and sending up the occasional lightning bolt. Kazo smiled, "Yes it is!" He had once been quite fascinated with the inner workings of clouds and storms, and on many areas still was. Kazo commented, "Nature has some of the most beautiful phenomena! I just love how the weather works!" Raven let out a unique laugh. Kazo listened carefully, that being the first time he had ever heard a laugh of joy from Raven. Raven replied, "This is my kind of weather!" Kazo asked, "So why do you like this so much?" Raven replied, "Back when my parents were still around, we always had the most fun on rainy days. They fit me too, and I even think they're the only thing that ever makes me truly happy." Kazo replied, "I see. Thanks! I needed the smile!" Raven replied, "Don't mention it."

A bit later, Kazo continued in. Immediately, he proceeded to read about what technology had revealed of the world, starting with weather. He made the final fate of Yeln known to Nefarious, as well as the details of what had happened. Nefarious responded to this, "That's the risk o' the job! Don't worry, yer gunna be back with 'im sooner or later!" Kazo replied, "That's true! I hope it doesn't matter to him which one it is!" Nefarious replied, "It shouldn't too much. He can do whatever 'e wants ya know." Kazo smiled at the idea, "I see!"

Kazo continued investigating the world around him, his quest for knowledge eventually bringing him back to the ocean, this time without a vessel, searching for an answer to a question that had begun to bother him more and more: where exactly did those bubbles come from? What had he hit? Venturing down, he found a sheet of what appeared to be some sort of volcanic vent nearby a collection of murky water and colored deposits on the ground. The vent didn't seem particularly active... it would be odd for it to cause such an upheaval, but something caused it to. A rim around the edge had at its top the mark of a tail fin within it...

Kazo continued, reading about mechanics and weather, chemistry, and as he learned, applying them. As time passed though, he only found himself becoming more and more exhausted and hungry. Eventually, he found himself faced with a bit of a dilemma. He wasn't lasting long enough awake for new fuel sources to become available. He could either sleep again, or live a bit more in this fascinating era to die afterwards. But, beyond lay an era that contained the remnants of this as well as entirely new things. He also retained the feeling that he carried his father's legacy along with him.

Kazo didn't have much time left in this era anyway. Eventually, he made it known what he was planning, and on one day, chosen when he felt it was becoming quite urgent, he began to speak his goodbyes. He bid farewell to those he had befriended, Raven, the bartender, the smelter crew, the farmers, everyone he knew, and finally Nefarious. Kazo approached, then spoke, "Why hello! Ironic that I'm stating a greeting, isn't it? It's time for me to move on! Thanks, friend! It was great working with you!" Nefarious smiled, "Heh, the feelin's mutual. Good luck, 'n have fun! I'll see ya some time down the road. 'Till then, I'll miss ya though."

Kazo asked, "You'll see me? When would that happen?" Nefarious replied, "Maybe only a few centuries, tops. Heh, even if they put me down there an' put you up there, we can still get all our buddies together and throw a hell of a party! Just 'cause the rules would say we couldn't meet doesn't mean the rule can't be broken." Kazo replied, "I see! I guess I will then! Thanks again!" Nefarious responded, "No problem. Have fun wherever ya end up!" Kazo smiled, "Sure thing!"

It was time. Kazo felt his power supplies slowly dwindling, and he needed the rest of it to make it to a later era, hopefully far enough ahead to offer him a new, more reliable supply. Kazo made his way to the bottom rear of Steelflame, proceeding down onto the mineshaft. He turned right at a T section, then left at the next, then right, eventually ending up in an abandoned shaft, old metal supports in the middle and wooden beams leaning against the back. Kazo lay against the wooden beams, He retracted his rods in fully, allowing his mana level to dissipate away. He thought about Arkus and Yeln as he did so. He felt the weight of what had happened to them still on his heart, but he also felt quite positive. They would want for him to be happy... Kazo adjusted his rods to provide just as much power as needed as he slowly faded out of touch with the world. It was time to move on, and hopefully, wherever he would end up, he could finally study and conduct science in relative peace.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I get the feeling I might've accelerated through some things I probably shouldn't have. If that's the case, I could edit to expand. Hopefully the next story will turn out better than this one, this one admittedly having more flaws than I would like...

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]