Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Questionable Ethics  (Read 33126 times)

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
Re: Questionable Ethics
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2008, 11:38:00 pm »

The spinning ¤details¤ strikes Squeegy in the head!
It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass!
Squeegy, Dragon Warrior has been struck down.

I am fully sure that this is an awesome story like all the rest but the huge blocks of text make my eyes cry in the corner. Could you perhaps get some fan art or something to make it easier to read?

I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2008, 11:46:00 pm »

Kazo fanart?

DO WANT!!

Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2008, 11:53:00 pm »

I tried to shorten the paragraphs in this one, I guess I didn't do it enough. I don't think I'm as skilled enough 2d artist to render Kazo, but if anyone wants to volunteer, I'd definitely like to see other peoples renditions of him.

Hmm, I'm starting to think my mega-paragraphs habit comes from writing AP essays at school where you're supposed to talk about absolutely everything you can think of.

[ February 17, 2008: Message edited by: AlanL ]

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2008, 03:04:00 am »

ROSTUS?????
Good times, good times.
ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2008, 03:06:00 am »

BEYOND QUALITY!  :D

Doing the giver-of-generic-quests-that-knows-everything are we?  :p
I didn't expect this universe to support prophetic dreams...
It is still just as awesome!

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2008, 11:19:00 pm »

Not quite how it's happening, but details will follow.

Thanks though  :)

I keep pushing this late. Perhaps now that this has become more of a standard hobby, I'm finding things like school and meetings to impose a further reaching barrier on things. Maybe some time soon I should just do this earlier in the day.

At least this gives me a chance to try to work with smaller paragraphs.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kazo thought about it as he walked... if Rostus was the only one capable of making use of radioactives, what was he doing with them? It seemed he had no reason to be destructive... perhaps this project of his was an invention he was planning on restoring his fortune with? Perhaps. Kazo would find out sooner or later.

Kazo continued northwest, along a dirt path toward the mountains. There was one point where the stream approached the side of the path, and after that, a small cattle farm. Kazo saw a human and a kobold near a bull, trying to contain the visibly annoyed and short fused creature. The bull voiced it's annoyance, "Mooh... MOOH!" It was likely the bull was fed up with it all and had about had it... Kazo continued walking, but continued to watch. The bull gored at the door it was being contained behind. The human and kobold struggled and yelled at eachother. WHAM! The door flew open, and the bull leapt out... it looked the human right in the eyes, its face expressing hatred. The human ran away. The bull gave chase, and the kobold chased the bull.

The bull rammed the human, its horns digging into the humans rear end, sending the human flying face first into the ground, yelling. The bull kicked the human, then turned to face the kobold. The kobold froze in place. The bull kicked up dust and snorted, "MoooOOOOOOOHH!" The kobold darted away as the bull ran towards him.  The kobold hopped the fence and ran toward a wooden building nearby, muttering obscenities as he climbed a ladder. The bull gored the fence, gored it again, sending wood into the air, then gored it again, finally breaking it.

The bull ran out from the enclosure toward the building, ramming the ladder and breaking it. The kobold held on to the remaining top rung, legs dangling below. The kobold struggled to pull himself up. Meanwhile, the bull decided to vent its anger on anything it could find. There was a small statue in the process of being made near the wooden building. The bull rammed it and kicked it, cracking it and toppling it. The bull then ran forwards, goring a pile of clothes and kicking it on his way though, sending clothes everywhere. The bull then reached the stream, and ran onto a bridge, where it started ramming parts of the bridge, kicking and goring through the structure it stood upon, sending wood into the water. Eventually the bridge collapsed. The bull fell into the water, and never resurfaced.

The kobold, having made it atop the overhang, lay there, and yelled an obscenity out for all to hear. Kazo laughed, and continued on his path. It was obvious one of the two was inexperienced, or perhaps somewhere along the line, one had made a serious mistake... likely both. In general, messing with an animal several times your size is a serious mistake anyway. But why did the bull act like that? It was almost unheard of for any animal to throw a tantrum. Perhaps it was a quirk of the animals personality... the animals were individuals too, after all.

Kazo continued onwards toward the mountain. He noticed a small, plain entrance to a tunnel dug out. It almost looked like the entrance to a cave. Kazo ascended the slope, eventually reaching the entrance. As he approached he heard a slight rumble and a grinding noise. Kazo looked around... nothing was moving, not even inside. Perhaps there was a machine that was still running within? Kazo entered, keeping an eye out. It was all rough hewn tunnels, though a lot of it was drill marks rather than the mark of pickaxes. Kazo continued down into the tunnel. It forked, and Kazo chose the path to the right. Soon after, as if it had all been set up for him, he found a large outcropping of emeralds, a pickaxe leaning on the wall next to it, a small drill in the alcove before it.

Kazo looked at the drill. It had several hoses coming from it, connected to nothing, likely where there was once a power source. It was liquid cooled, although those hoses were disconnected as well. It seemed this expedition was once well equipped. Why had they left? Whatever it was, they didn't have the time to mine out these valuable emeralds... Kazo took up the pickaxe, and began digging out emeralds, finding diamonds behind them. What luck... or rather, what an odd coincidence. Kazo dug out the gems, and though they were raw, they could be cut when he got back. He stuffed the raw gems in his backpack whenever he had unearthed a significant amount. Eventually, he had all that he could stuff in his backpack. Then, he unearthed a large blue diamond rough gem. He held it and smiled at it.

Blue diamond was one of the most special gems in existence, fittingly also one of the rarest. As magic had advanced, back in those days of the ancients, rarer gems were needed for more complicated constructions. It started with simple rock crystal, adventurines, red spinel... after the invention of the power crystal, the use of emerald and ruby became widespread, along with sapphires. As adamantine came around, and eventually some of the first real use of molecule-scale magic, blue diamond began to have serious use... Arkus often considered Kazo the most advanced construct to stroll the face of that world, and in this light, Kazo's blue diamond heart served as a reminder. Kazo still did miss Arkus...

Kazo looked into the gem as he exited the tunnel he had created. The grinding and rumbling had persisted, and now, it was getting louder and louder. Kazo looked around... the sound actually seemed to be approaching. The grinding especially became quite loud when Kazo noticed a nearby wall starting to form cracks. Somebody else was also digging tunnels... Rostus has said the mine was abandoned! Perhaps another person was also making an opportunistic dig? At least, Kazo's question regarding the source of the noise would soon be answered.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I keep getting the feeling I'm going too slow.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2008, 06:23:00 am »

Beyond Quality.

First POST!
"This is a gold Beyond Quality award.
It is encikled whit spikes of silver.
It mences whit spikes of magnetite.
On the item is an image of a rough blue diamond in dimpelcup dye."

Yea, maybe a bit slow. But not that it's unbearable.

Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2008, 10:52:00 pm »

Thanks  :)

Sorry about this... I have no time to write an update tonight. I had to attend a family event and it lasted 1.5 hours longer than I had expected. That and homework means not enough time left over. It happens... I'm just glad it doesn't happen often.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2008, 03:37:00 am »

:(
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2008, 11:46:00 pm »

Ok, now back to it for me...
The cracks in the wall grew until the wall finally crumbled, a steel drill clearing a hole in the wall. A small, gas-steam hybrid mining pod exited through the hole, making a hissing sound as it did, it's engine audible throughout the tunnels. The vehicle was visibly a bit rusty, and only the front was armored, the rear exposed. Likely the armor was only there to protect from debris from drilling. The entire machine was fairly small, quite smaller that what Kazo remembered Blitukus' machine to be. The machine turned, and its dwarven pilot spotted Kazo. Kazo stood there... holding the highly sought after blue diamond gem... the gem that dwarf had been hunting all along. Now, the dwarfs efforts seemed to be all in vein... for this small, cloaked being had made it to the gem first.

The dwarf let out a loud grunt, then a yell of anger and frustration. A moment later, the dwarf started the drill again and drove toward Kazo. Kazo immediately recognized the situation... another interesting challenge to overcome! Kazo stood for a moment, thinking of what to do... he did not want the gems to be destroyed. Kazo placed the gems in the corner, and ran to the other wall, the dwarf following him and aiming the drill right for him. Kazo backed against the wall, and just before he would've been cought between the drill and the wall, he leapt up. The drill dug into the wall. Kazo clung to a small beam near the ceiling of the tunnel, climbing forward on it, trying to pick a spot on the vehicle to drop down to. Kazo aimed for the hatch, very near the front... perhaps he could rip the dwarf from his seat and 'negotiate' with him in person.

The dwarf stopped the drill. As Kazo dropped down, the dwarf quickly accelerated in reverse, causing Kazo to land on the front of the drill instead. Kazo drew his hand back... he could still disable the drill. He was about to thrust his claws into the mechanisms of the drill, when a loud hiss was heard right under him. The drill began to spin with Kazo on it. Kazo found himself flung from the drill in a fraction of a second. He was flung upward, catching himself as he landed on the ceiling... but the slight pause of disorientation from being spun and flung resulted in him missing a chance to push off. He fell right back down, landing on the drill. Kazo was catapulted to the side, sparks being sent up from the grinding of steel on adamantine. Kazo landed upon the wall, looked back at the machine, then leapt back off of the wall.

The dwarf yelled again, turning to face Kazo as Kazo ran back toward the machine. The machine accelerated toward Kazo, Kazo toward the machine. Kazo leapt up, drawing his legs up and steering with his tail as he drifted over the top of the drill, landing on the top of the cabin. Kazo grabbed the top of the hatch with his free hand, and tried to open it, but noticed it was locked. Kazo stood near the hatch, holding the handle, sliding a claw into the small gap between the hatch and its mount, searching for the latch. When he found it, he sent an arc of energy through it, heating the metal to the point it began to be pliable. After the sparks settled, Kazo began to leverage the hatch open... then suddenly, the hatch flung open.

A small red cylinder flew out from the cabin below, striking Kazo in the nose and continuing upward, leaving a trail of smoke behind it. Kazo saw the dwarf below, yelling furiously. Kazo reached down, and grabbed the dwarf by the shirt, pulling him up out of the hatch. Kazo yelled, "WHAT'S Y-" BOOM! An explosion knocked Kazo forward, the dwarf going with him, off of the top of the cabin, and down to the floor. Kazo shook off, but as he got up, he was knocked back down on his belly by the blow of a hammer to his back. The dwarf yelled again, drawing back the hammer. Kazo put one foot under himself, and leapt up, blocking before he had landed, the momentum of the blow knocking him a step or two back in midair. Kazo landed, then leapt at the dwarf, spinning, the dwarf unsuccessfully attempting to dodge as Kazo swing a kick at the dwarfs head. The dwarf was knocked a few steps to the side, blood sent onto the wall as Kazos claws dug through the dwarfs cheek. Kazo landed and spun on the ground, swinging his tail at the dwarf. The dwarf leapt back, stumbled slightly, grunting loudly, then moved back toward the now damaged and unmanned mining pod.

The dwarf ran back as fast as he could, Kazo pursuing. Kazo slashed and snapped at the dwarf as the dwarf ran, slashing the dwarfs back, catching the dwarf with his claws and clamping down on the dwarfs shoulder. The dwarf yelled in pain but continued with all his might would allow. Just as the dwarf was about to reach the vehicle, Kazo let go, let the dwarf get a little bit ahead, then jumped forward, sending a powerful kick forward... but the dwarf had jumped away. Kazos kick landed on the rear of the vehicle... the exposed engine and transmission. His foot went into the transmission. Kazo grunted loudly as he felt his foot and lower leg cought up in the gears, the vehicle coming to a stop, sending pain shooting up his leg. Kazo pulled away, but was unsuccessful in freeing himself.

The dwarf drew back and swung his hammer again, his clothes drenched in blood. He hit Kazo on the top of the head. Kazo slashed at the dwarfs face, but the dwarf jumped back, charging back in and swung a blow which glanced away from Kazos arm which blocked it. Kazo let the dwarf draw back his hammer a third time... and as the dwarf brought the hammer down, Kazo swung to the side. The dwarfs compensation for this resulted in him landing a blow on Kazos stuck leg, dislodging it. Kazo pulled his leg out... he found his still stinging foot and leg were quite dented up. Kazo growled, and as the dwarf drew back again, Kazo jumped forward, mostly relying upon his good leg. Kazo landed a powerful punch on the dwarfs nose, knocking the dwarf back a bit, breaking his nose, and causing the dwarf to miss his swing. Kazo didn't want to kill the dwarf... if he did, this confrontation would've likely been much shorter, but still... this was enough playing around.

As the dwarf, already covered in blood and shaking from the pain, stumbling a little, drew back again, Kazo grabbed the dwarfs face and proceeded to shock the dwarf. The dwarf grunted loudly, yelling immediately after, dropping the hammer. Kazo then threw the dwarfs head against a wall, resulting in a satisfying thud, and the dwarf being knocked unconscious. The dwarf slid down the wall, and lay at the edge of the floor, unconscious in a now-forming puddle of blood.

Kazo walked away. He climbed atop the pod, and noticed that there were no gems held within. Perhaps that dwarf had been hunting for the blue diamond alone. Kazo retrieved his gems, and proceeded up the tunnels. When he reached the exit of the abandoned fortress, he sat at the mouth of the tunnel, and began to repair his dented leg. Kazo thought about it... the blows from the dwarfs hammer generally glanced away... what caused actual damage was more advanced machinery. As time went on, perhaps fights would become much more of a threat than a mere fun challenge. Kazo made a note to himself to be more alert and focus more in the future. For a bit longer, Kazo continued... eventually, he heard an odd sound from behind himself. "Mewww!" Kazo looked around. "Meww!" Kazo felt one of his claws warming up... he looked down, and saw a kitten licking the blood off of one of his claws. Kazo smiled. The kitten looked at Kazo, and tilted its head, "Mew?" Something about this kitten made Kazo forget all about his leg for a moment. Kazo grinned, "Kitty!" The kitten nuzzled Kazos hand, hopped into Kazos lap, then climbed Kazos chest. Kazo gently hugged the kitten. The kitten stuck its head out and began to lick Kazos nose, purring. Kazo laughed. The kitten tilted its head, and seemed to smile. Kazo also tilted his head and smiled.
I get the feeling the combat wasn't good enough... or that the dwarf put up too much of a fight. Ah well, if that's the case, next time should definitely be better.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2008, 11:54:00 pm »

The fight was actually rather interesting.

On a side note: KITTY!!   :D

I take it this is a sign of more feline intervention to come?

Edit: FIRST POST!!

[ February 20, 2008: Message edited by: Impending Doom ]

Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2008, 11:57:00 pm »

Well, it's actually not really a sign. Keep in mind, the cats are still generally non-sapient at that point.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2008, 11:35:00 am »

Beyond Quality.

Kazo DID finally zap someone, but not enough!  :)

Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2008, 12:14:00 am »

I think in a lot of cases, I pulled off those interesting combos by evolving them from something simpler.
The kitten mewed again, and climbed up Kazos chest, climbing atop his head, and laying there, purring. Kazo smiled, noticing that even when he felt his leg again, the pain had seemed to diminish without further repairs. Kazo was nearly done anyway. The kitten watched as Kazo finished up. Kazo then stood, and left the tunnels, heading back towards the town. The kitten slid down Kazos back and landed on the backpack, where it proceeded to open it with its mouth, and tucked itself in. Kazo asked, "So kitty, what's your name?" The kitten half-meowed, "Myeln." Kazo asked, "With the M? Or would you like me to call you Yeln?" Yeln replied "Meww!" Then, Yeln began to purr again, and curled up the best he could, taking a nap in Kazos backpack.

Kazo snickered, and proceeded across the desert, waving his tail as he quickly moved. Every now and then he checked to make sure Yeln was OK. Yeln would wake up should something urgent arise anyhow. Kazo traced his way back downstream, quite a long time passing as he traveled. He passed by the cattle farm he had seen earlier, though there was little activity. The sun was beginning to approach the horizon as he eventually approached the town. On the way, he had seen a few coyotes retreating to their dens as the night loomed ahead. Kazo approached town, and entered. The humans were starting to end their day as the sun set, meanwhile, the kobolds were beginning their night.

Yeln awoke, and looked about, choosing to leave the backpack afterwards and walk in front of Kazo. Kazo stopped, "Everything OK?" Yeln looked down at his own gut, then back at Kazo, then at his gut again, then back at Kazo again, "Mewwww..." Kazo replied, "Sure thing!" Kazo then picked Yeln up, holding him against his shoulder, then walked toward a marketplace in the center of town. The shopkeeper seemed to eye Kazo let Yeln down, and walked up to the shop which sold various foods. The human shopkeeper seemed to try to observe everything, as if she had a distrust for anything that looked like a kobold, even if all she could see was the size. She asked, "Are ya gunna buy anything?" Kazo looked at the meat available... there were actually two particular stacks of meat packages that looked completely identical, one priced at 2 moneys per, the other at 3 moneys per. How much attention was the merchant actually paying?

Kazo replied, "I'll just have a look." Kazo browsed in a loop, silently observing the shopkeeper... eventually, Kazo took the opportunity to swap one of the 3-money meats for one of the 2-money ones, simply picking one up, looking at it, and setting it back down in a slightly off position, repeating for the other. The shopkeeper lay back in her chair. Kazo waited a moment, then picked up the 3-money meat he had moved. The shopkeeper spoke, "That'll be 2 moneys." Kazo smiled... her eyes were on everything he did... but her mind was somewhere else. Some shopkeepers can be easier to trick later in the day for this reason... they're tired.

Kazo noticed Yeln carrying a piece of meat in his mouth, free of charge. Kazo snickered, set the oddly priced piece of meat down, and watched Yeln. Yeln tossed the piece of meat around, batted it around, and tore chunks out of it, devouring it ferociously. When Yeln had finished, he walked up to Kazo, licking his lips, and nuzzled Kazos ankle, purring. Kazo sat, letting Yeln scale up him, nuzzle his face, then climb atop his head. Kazo smiled and pet Yeln, "Now you're a cute kitty!" The shopkeeper, looking in a small box, noticed a piece of her dinner missing... "Hey what the heck?"

Kazo stood, Yeln still on his head, and walked away, toward the hatch. Kazo opened it, and entered. Yeln immediately protested upon Kazo shutting the hatch behind himself, "Merm... MEWW!" Kazo replied, "Don't worry, he's only a 4 foot tall canine!" Kazo continued down the stairs. When he reached the bottom, he spotted Rostus, laying upon a rather comfortable looking couch. Rostus sat up, then stood, walking toward Kazo. Kazo spoke, "Looks like the mines aren't abandoned really." Rostus replied, "Ah... yes... so the Miner is still there. I apologize for my leaving him unmentioned, I had assumed he had given up by now."

As Rostus finished approaching, Yeln jumped off from Kazos head, and hid under a table. Rostus noticed this, and frowned... only for a moment, though. Kazo emptied the gems onto a different table. Rostus spoke, "Ah, very good." Rostus noticed the blue diamond, "Yes, very good indeed... These are all of the gems I need." Kazo asked, "Is the fuel ready?" Rostus replied, "No... I need one more thing, two if you would be so kind. There are certain... proprietary documents, trade secrets you might say. When my activities gained a certain, shall we say, profile, the military decided to take my papers for themselves. I would like them back, although how you accomplish this is for you to decide. Secondly, in order to gain further funds for my project, I have opted to design a new flash-point spear for the dwarves. It works in the laboratory, but if you should be so kind, a field test would prove its worth much better. You will find the prototype sitting in the rack in the back of the room. I only need to give the dwarves the designs... so your reward would be keeping the prototype."

Although Kazo generally isn't much for weapons, among the weapons the spear was his favorite. Kazo replied, "I'll do both then." Rostus smiled, "Good..." Rostus then walked toward the table under which Yeln as hiding. Rostus bent down, "Come here, little kitte-" Yeln swiped at Rostus, "HSSSS!" Rostus jerked back, "Nevermind then..." Rostus sat back on the couch. Kazo walked over to the table... Yeln immediately climbed out, and hopped onto Kazos shoulder. Kazo asked, "Are you OK?" Yeln mewed slightly, then hopped off, quickly running up the stairs toward the hatch. Kazo walked to the stand, and retrieved the spear... it had a wooden shaft with a steel tip, curved bear the rear of the tip, the top of the shaft consisting of magnetite with copper wire coiled around it, behind which was some sort of device held in a steel drum, mounted on the shaft. It was an interesting design, and was obviously electrical in its effect. Perhaps he could enhance it with his own magic? He would try after the field test. Kazo spoke, "I'll go do that then." Rostus replied, "Good luck." Kazo then left, walking up the stairs, placing the spear between his back and his backpack. Kazo asked himself, why was Yeln so hostile toward Rostus? Rostus had made no indication of ill intent... the military seemed to be oppressive anyway. He even was on good terms with Nefarious. It seemed this kobold was just a particularly secretive inventor of sorts. Kazo had no reason to confront him about anything, but still, why was this kobold so secretive? Kazo would soon have an opportunity to ask.
I have a feeling that the kittens name isn't perfect, and that something was off about the end... then again, I always find something to worry about.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2008, 05:45:00 am »

Beyond Quality!

FIRST POST!
"This is an AWESOME Beyond Quality award.
It mences whit spikes of WIN.
On the item is an image of an magical admantine dinosaur ninja robot mad-scientist and a cat in COOL, the magical admantine dinosaur ninja robot mad-scientist is raising the cat."
Yea, I'm kinda out of ideas for BQ awards...

Ever thought of letting Kazo become a pirate... ?  :p

Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13