Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Questionable Ethics  (Read 33131 times)

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
Re: Questionable Ethics
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2008, 11:33:00 am »

Lay off the ellipse. They make it sound like William Shatner is telling the story. And break up your paragraphs more.

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2008, 12:03:00 am »

Thanks  :)

The paragraphs are already mostly short enough. I think people also read the ellipses differently than I do. I use it when I want a pause that's only a little more than a regular period. I'll keep it in mind though.

Oh, and Kazo isn't really much the type for being a pirate. He's not greedy enough  :p
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kazo met Yeln at the very top of the stairwell, crouched between the second-to-top stair and the closed hatch. As soon as Kazo opened the hatch, Yeln exited. Kazo exited as well, shutting the hatch behind himself. Kazo decided that, since he was in an opportune location, he would test the spear first. Who would be his subject? He wouldn't kill anyone, but he would find a way to test the spears effectiveness.

He looked around, and saw a guard armored in leather standing in front of the entrance to a wooden warehouse. Kazo walked over to the guard, and stood a distance in front of him. Yeln walked silently to the corner of the wooden building, and sat, watching. Kazo drew the spear, and flipped a small switch near the forward handle. The spear hummed slightly, the hum vanishing after a second. The guard spoke, drawing his half-sword, "Put that damn weapon away!" Kazo snickered, tilted his head a bit, and gestured to bring it on. The guard scowled, "You want me to MESS YOU UP? PUT THAT THING AWAY!"

Kazo smiled, and moved toward the guard, spear drawn back as if he were going to strike. The first test would actually be defense with it, as Kazo rarely ever swung the first blow. Kazo predicted this would likely result in structural failure of the spear, as the shaft was both thin and wooden, but he would try anyway. The guard smacked the spear to the side, and charged at Kazo. Kazo drew the spear up, ducking behind it in a parry. The blunt side of the sword struck the shaft of the spear between the two grips... SNAP! Kazo backed away one step. He now held a wooden stick with a handle in one hand, and a now shortened, one handed spear in the other. As he had predicted...

Now he would test the power of the weapon... well, the piece he held in his right hand, anyway. Kazo swiped at the guard with it as the guard drew up to swing again. Kazo struck the guard in the lower body. It cut into the leather, but not all the way through. Kazo had intended to do this rather than stab, as he didn't wish to mortally wound the guard. As the guard swung, Kazo drew back. The spear tip touched a metal button on the vest, discharging some of its built up energy through the button. The guard grunted loudly, bending forward and jumping a bit, his swing missing horribly. If Kazo had stabbed through the vest, the entire discharge would've gone right through the guards guts. This spear was actually useful in any situation, as even if a physical point has trouble going through metal plate armor, electricity favors such a medium.

Now, for the sake of his own curiosity, he would test what magic could do on top of it. He decided for this test to allow the electricity to 'ride' within a channel of mana. Kazo stepped back, holding the spear back, and channeled his energy through the spear to the tip, focusing it to the point where the mana began to leak out from the tip. As the guard drew near, Kazo formed this leaked mana into a line between the tip and the guards head, using the mana to break down the air into a more conductive state. Electrical energy arced right from the tip of the spear to the guards head. The guard stumbled forward and grunted again, catching himself from falling over. Kazo noticed the guard was stunned. A tactically effective result.

Kazo held the metal cylinder, and charged the spear with his own energy. Kazo then brought the flat side of the spear down onto the guards head, landing a powerful hit complete with a powerful jolt. The guard yelled, and seemed quite dizzy. The grunted, and with his remaining strength, swung at Kazo again. The blow landed on Kazos side, causing nothing but a clanking sound. Kazo grabbed the guards wrist, and pulled the guard toward himself, kicking the guard in the face as he pulled the guard close. Kazo let go, then kicked the guard in the head again. The guard fell over backwards, unconscious, nose bleeding a bit.

Another guard, standing opposite the center of town, laughed, and spoke, "You dumb s**t!" Kazo noticed this guard was actually referring to the guard Kazo had just knocked unconscious. Rivalry between the guards, perhaps? The other guard wasn't showing any hostile intent. Kazo shut the spear off, then put it away. He held the broken part of the shaft in his other hand. Yeln followed as Kazo walked back to the hatch. Kazo snickered, holding the dull end of the broken shaft above Yeln. Yeln mewed playfully, jumping up and swatting at the end of the shaft, attempting to grab hold of the shaft and bite it on each jump. Kazo moved it around, resulting in Yeln making some rather amusing maneuvers in an attempt to catch it, spinning in the air and tracking it with his head. Eventually, Kazo lowered the piece of the shaft low enough for Yeln to get hold of it. Yeln happily yet ferociously bit into the shaft several times.

This stopped though as Kazo reached the hatch... Yeln opted to stay away from it. Kazo opened the hatch, and descended the stairwell, shutting the hatch behind himself. Yeln waited patiently outside. Kazo walked into Rostus' living room... he seemed to be not there. Kazo looked around. One door that had once been locked was now open. Kazo grinned and waved his tail excitedly as he walked toward the previously secret room. The room was white, several heavy machines encased in steel present against the walls. Rostus was present at one of these machines, wearing a lead suit and heavy gloves, using some kind of mechanical instrument on whatever was inside of the bay of the machine. A part of the machine sticking up on the side blocked Kazos view.

Kazo approached silently, noticing the whitish rays glowing in Rostus' black-glass goggles. Just as Kazo was about to look in, Rostus slid a steel cover shut over the bay of the machine, and looked back at Kazo. Kazo took out the other part of the spear, and held one in each hand, "It works great except for defense. I don't think wood was such a good idea!" Rostus spoke, "Metal shafts are needed... noted. I will have to notify the dwarves that they need to make the grips out of something insulating. I expect at least one of them will make the grips out of metal anyway... I wouldn't want to wield one of those. As promised, you may keep the prototype." Kazo looked at the two broken pieces... Rostus continued, "Now, go and retrieve those documents for me please."

Kazo walked to the machine Rostus was at, and curiously moved to remove the cover. Rostus spoke, "DON'T touch my machines or the deal is off!" Kazo thought about it. He could explore this facility after he had the fuel. Kazo decided against removing the cover, he would do so at a later date. Kazo asked, "Why do you hide everything?" Rostus replied, "Because the technology that I work with is very, well, hazardous, should it fall into the wrong hands. The military especially must never be allowed to gain this technology, and this means your mission to retrieve those documents is all the more urgent. Now go, and return when you have them." Kazo asked, "So why is it dangerous?" Rostus answered, "Because it has great destructive potential." Kazo continued, "Is there something more specific?" Rostus replied, "I pray to the heavens we will never have to find out... now go, this is very urgent, and I trust your capabilities in accomplishing this task."

Kazo replied, "Sure thing! Goodbye!" Rostus spoke, "Best of luck." Kazo then left, putting both parts of the spear away. He would fix it back at Steelflame. If the name had a real meaning, he should have no problem finding a forge with which to make a new shaft. Kazo left the room, and proceeded back up the stairwell. As he exited through the hatch, Yeln mewed excitedly and ran up to Kazo, nuzzling Kazos leg and purring. Kazo snickered and smiled. Retrieving secrets from a military base somewhere... it could prove to be an interesting situation. Kazo loved uncovering secrets and he loved interesting situations. On top of it all, his feline friend might decide to follow him there to witness it.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2008, 11:28:00 am »

Beyond Quality!  :D

FIRST POST!
"this is a giant cave spider silk cloth Beyond Quality award, the giant cave spider silk cloth is dyed emerald whit emerald dye.
In the item is an image of a demonic kobold and a magical admantine dinosaur ninja robot mad-scientist in giant cave spider silk cloth, the magical admantine dinosaur ninja robot mad-scientist is speaking whit the demonic kobold, the giant cave spider silk cloth is dyed midnight blue whit dimple cup dye."

Zap!  :D

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2008, 11:44:00 pm »

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kazo looked at Yeln and pet him as they continued northward. Kazo looked forward and eyed the path he came from, the path back to Steelflame. Kazo and Yeln continued for a bit, but eventually Kazo came to an immediate halt as he noticed Yeln had positioned himself right in front of Kazo. Yeln spoke, "Mew! Meww!" Yeln then walked up to Kazo, nuzzled Kazo's leg, then looked up at Kazo's face. Kazo snickered, picked Yeln up, and continued, holding Yeln against his chest. Yeln rested against Kazo's chest, purring. Kazo smiled, and kept petting him.

They continued northward for quite a while, leaving the town behind. As they approached the mountains, Yeln stood, mewed, then crawled over Kazo's shoulder, once again opening and taking residence in Kazo's backpack. A few moments passed. Kazo then noticed something placed over his eyes. He heard, "Mew-ew!" Kazo laughed, "Yeln Kitty!" Yeln moved, nibbling on the back of Kazo's head, "Meww!" Kazo snickered.

They continued, eventually reaching the mountain. Kazo saw the trails from his rock-sledding down the side of the mountain... and also the skid marks from when it didn't go as planned. Kazo took a different route up the mountain, carefully ascending as to not disturb Yeln. Kazo climbed up the slopes much more directly than normal still, shortening his travel time considerably. As Kazo was nearing the top, Yeln mewed a few times. Kazo stopped, and looked back. Yeln was leaning against the back of his shoulder, licking his lips. Yeln's mouth did seem a bit dry... Kazo spoke, "I'll look around for some." Kazo continued ascending, looking around for any potential water source.

Eventually, Kazo stood, looking, but Yeln leapt out from the backpack, and moved quite quickly up the slope toward the top. Kazo followed behind Yeln. They quickly ascended to a nearby peak. Yeln stopped at a rock, and began drinking some rain water that had collected there from a rather large formation that seemed to act as a natural rain collector. Likely it had rained soon before. Perhaps it was that season? As Yeln drank, Kazo spotted a previously hidden path down the mountainside. It was small and hard to see from a distance, but it was there. Where did it lead? Kazo was eager to find out, but he would wait for his friend first.

When Yeln was done, he walked over to Kazo, and stood, pressing his front paws against Kazo's leg. Kazo smiled, and Picked Yeln up, Yeln then climbing over Kazo's shoulder, back into the backpack. Kazo walked down the path, gradually accelerating to a bit of a run, smiling. Yeln stood in the backpack, holding his head out, his fur blowing in the wind. Kazo continued on for quite a while, the air cooling as the sun disappeared beyond the horizon. Kazo noticed ruins ahead, the ruins glowing slightly due to a fire in the middle. The ruins were tucked in a small valley by an oasis. The road and the ruins seemed to indicate a settlement that should have been abandoned decades ago. The fire seemed to indicate that there were still inhabitants anyway.

Kazo approached these ruins. Whoever was there was at least as stubborn as dwarves... although, the small, dirt path and the stone structures ahead gave the impression that whoever inhabited the ruins didn't have much in the way of technology. A primitive tribe surrounded by these industrial towns? It seemed like quite an interesting phenomena. Likely the thought that drove the two kobolds Kazo spotted toward the ruins. Kazo noticed these kobolds, one carrying a large mechanical camera with lenses and a bag full of assorted equipment, the other carrying a backpack full of film and other assorted equipment.

Kazo snickered. He felt like making an appearance. He asked himself if doing so would actually make them film him as a potential member of whoever it was over there. Where would it end up if they did? Kazo smiled, and changed direction, running toward the two kobolds, tail waving excitedly. As Kazo approached, he overheard the kobolds speaking, "It wun' just pop out in fronna ya you know!" Immediately after, Kazo leapt forward, crossing right between the two kobolds. They yelled and jumped away.

Kazo landed, and looked back as he continued toward the ruins. One of the kobolds spoke, "What the 'ell?" They didn't film Kazo. Rather, they watched Kazo run toward the ruins, and continued towards the ruins themselves. Kazo approached the ruins and entered the outer regions, headed toward the center. He noticed that the further toward the center he got, the less decay was visible on the buildings. The heart of the ruins weren't ruins at all, rather what very well could be the last remaining fragment of what was once a grand city of a copper-age civilization.

Kazo approached the center, and stood upon a ledge above a dug out area, an altar directly below. All around the alter were humans, worshiping it. Kazo thought, these humans must have strength and stubbornness even dwarves would respect. He found himself curious regarding their civilization, why they had opted to remain at such an early state while the world around them industrialized.

Kazo walked around to the rear of this area, and entered down a ramp. As soon as he reached the bottom. The humans slowly turned to watch Kazo. Perhaps they viewed Kazo as nothing but an intruder interrupting their ceremony... They stood and turned to face Kazo. Suddenly, the hood of Kazo's coat was pulled back. Yeln had apparantly been playing with strings dangling from it. The humans, every single one of them in eyesight, gasped simultaneously. Several moments of silence passed. The humans then all bowed to Kazo. Kazo found this rather odd, but then saw why this had happened. Resting upon the altar was a masterfully crafted sculpture of a dinosaur head, made in microline. Kazo held back his laughter, and instead, smiled.
Something tells me the copper-age guys might be a bad idea. I hope not though.

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2008, 03:26:00 am »

I dunno... they seem like a bad idea as a first impression but if you can make it work, I'm fine.
ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2008, 07:12:00 pm »

Beyond Quality.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2008, 11:50:00 pm »

I'm hoping I can do a good job with the guys, if I botch it at least they're not too relevant. I could go back and remove them.
The human in front, wearing a necklace adorned with hanging copper and gold designs, spoke, "Ekuru, you have returned!" The humans seemed to, with coordinated motion, raise their heads to look at Kazo.

I think I like this role! It looks like fun! So I guess I'll have to talk differently to suit the role...

Kazo tried to control his emotions, but still waved his tail in a slow, rhythmic motion. Kazo spoke, "I see you have done well keeping your tradition." The human replied, "We do as you wish, Ekuru. Your words are wise, and thanks to your command, the Evil of Blood has not taken notice. We all thank you!" They had been warned about Armok, but by who? Kazo smiled, "I thank you for your loyalty!"

I can't wait to see their loyalty in action! Good thing I don't have to wait!

Kazo continued, "I have seen your cities shrink. Tell me from your point of view. Why has this happened?" The human replied, "We once hunted around this oasis. The whole area was teeming with beautiful animals! Then, for three years, the rains stopped, and bit by bit, the animals left! Only a year later, the mules from the other towns stopped coming. We had no food and we could not farm this soil! We now can only forage. As the mules stopped coming, disease spread among us, eliminating most of our numbers. It was a horrifying sight, but we were determined. When you had spoken to us, told us to found a town at the oasis where the shooting star meets its own reflection, we knew we could never abandon, and even now we never will!"

Kazo spoke, "I always enjoy hearing a mortals view. I am very pleased with your loyalty and dedication." The human spoke, "Oh grand Ekuru, is is an honor to witness your smile. We will forever remain loyal, but we would like to know what had happened to the other towns, to the animals!" Kazo thought of it... likely the issue was food for the animals. As for the towns... Kazo continued, "The stopping of the rains was a part of nature's cycle. The animals sought food elsewhere. The other towns fell to disease. The Evil of Blood was angry with the losses I had caused him. He took out his vengeance with this disease. I did all I could to help, but it still spread faster than I could contain it. Consider yourselves lucky the mules hadn't continued coming. Otherwise, disease might have eliminated all of you. I consider myself lucky to still have such loyal followers still here."

Kazo had no proof, but he somehow felt justified in saying it, a feeling that he was right anyway. The human replied, "We had suspected this, and we thank you for confirming it for us. By your last visit, we may have been alone, but it was 15 years ago when we first spotted these metal beasts that hiss and belch smoke! We stayed far away, but then we saw birds of an odd metal buzzing about overhead. We stay away from these creatures of metal, for that smoke can only be a sign of the Evil of Blood! Odd creatures with these odd tools would set themselves up at the edge of town every now and then over the last 2 years. We don't know what they really do. They just watch us for a while and then leave. We don't know who or what these odd things are. What do you want us to do?"

Kazo replied, "They are mortals of a different region entirely. They build tools and machines capable of doing miraculous things! Some of them are friendly, some of them are not. You must judge for yourselves whether to involve yourself. The power of the Evil of Blood is diminishing, and better times are ahead. This world is becoming something entirely different. The Evil of Blood sees this as nothing but a ruin. This has protected you, but now, his influence diminishes. I leave you free to do as you wish. Whatever you choose, preserve your culture. It is a treasure unique to you!"

The human spoke, "This is excellent news, thank you! We will preserve our culture as long as we stand!" Kazo smiled, "You're welcome. Your nation is a treasure indeed, a unique treasure throughout the world. Now, I must leave again. The Evil of Blood toys with the power of the beasts of metal, and I wish to stop him."

The human replied, "We have always known your power would protect us! Before you leave, we have a humble offering. It is not much, but we do not have much to spare." Another human, wearing a less adorned but still status-indicating attire, brought a small wooden tray with a stone bowl in it up to Kazo, and set it down before him. The bowl had a well prepared piece of meat in it, and laying on the tray also was a golden necklace, quite an old golden necklace, likely of considerable significance. The necklace contained a golden image of a sun and a shooting star. Kazo smiled, "I accept any offering, and thank you for it."

Kazo then put on the necklace, and took up the piece of meat. He bit off much of the meat, saving some. Yeln, who was silently observing from behind Kazo, climbed up onto Kazos shoulder. Kazo looked at Yeln, and tucked the other bit of meat in his mouth. Kazo, his mouth full, waved. The humans bowed. As the humans did so, Kazo held Yeln in his arms and leapt up, landing quietly and smoothly on the ledge above. Kazo snuck away, and headed north.

He spat out the pieces of meat into his hand. Kazo snickered as he saw Yeln immediately snatch the smaller piece and begin eating it. Kazo, being a construct, didn't really have spit, so the meat wasn't effected by being in his mouth. As he watched Yeln eat, he thought about what he had done and what lay ahead. He had likely just altered the course of what was once, what might once again be, a major civilization. Ahead though, the military stood in his way. The military would in all likelihood be an actual threat for once. Kazo smiled and waved his tail around.

That's going to be a fun and interesting set of challenges. I can't wait to see what those challenges will be!
Ok, I'm hoping I pulled that off. If I did, then maybe I could make those guys actually relevant in the future.

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2008, 03:55:00 am »

so... looks like I'm starting on another first post streak.

I think it wasn't half bad. Of course... now you're obligated to explain their origins.  :p

ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2008, 03:58:00 pm »

Already thought of. Glad to hear I didn't mess it up.  :)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2008, 06:03:00 pm »

BEYOND QUALITY!  :)
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2008, 11:45:00 pm »

Thank you, I'm always glad to have support  :)

Funny how inspiration works, one moment I'm feeling completely uninspired, where everything's at face value. The next I'm taking notes on what I'm thinking up.
As the night went on, Kazo walked north-northeast toward Steelflame, a few lights visible, although the town had no aura of light. As Kazo approached the town, he looked up. The night sky held its solid, nearly eternal beauty above, the dim, stars visible all around, and a dim, brownish band of stars barely visible near the horizon, the band to which the local sun belonged. Straight above, though it was difficult to make out any detail at all without a telescope, Kazo spotted one of the nebulae of this band, near it, perhaps slightly within it, a bluish star.

Kazo looked at the star as he made his way to the town, and wondered, what was his old friend Dracha up to? Though it felt like only yesterday he had worked with her, in reality it was centuries. Perhaps they had all died on such a risky endeavor. Perhaps their colony was already a success, a new eden for dragonkind. Then again, perhaps it was still a small colony, the dragons still asleep within.

Kazo continued further. Where did those people come from? Where did humans in general come from? Kazo had never seen such an odd race before his arrival in later times. Kazo thought for a while, then remembered an odd experiment performed right before the demonic invasion. Two groups were working on genetically modifying elves, experimenting with their genome. This was an attempt to learn more about the relationship between genetics and sapience, but when the wars happened, their modified subjects must have gotten released. It was possible that after the effects of the invasion had subsided, one group had progressed and expanded rapidly, while the other remained relatively stagnant.

Kazo continued on still. Yeln began to nibble on the back of Kazos head. As Kazo reached behind himself, Yeln leapt at Kazos hand, grabbing hold of it and nibbling on it playfully. Kazo snickered, and began to play with Yeln. Eventually, Yeln hopped out of the backpack, and started chasing and pouncing Kazos tail. Kazo smiled and waved his tail around to provide a moving target. Yeln eagerly hunted the tip of Kazos tail for a while until he had exhausted himself. Yeln then walked in front of Kazo, "Mew. Meww?" Kazo smiled, and Picked Yeln up. Yeln then climbed over Kazos shoulder, and back into the backpack, curling up and taking a nap there.

As Kazo approached town, he put his hood back on. Kazo approached the dimly lit entrance. The snakeman guard was still there, although the lights emphasized features that Kazo had previously overlooked. Under the armor and clothing, the snakeman wasn't green like the rest, rather he had brown scales with an intricate diamond pattern, the tip of his tail a rattle. Kazo spoke, "Why hello!" The guard replied, "Helloooo!" Kazo asked, "Where's Nefarious?" The guard replied, "Ah, She'sss out at the trade depot, sssorting out a few sssmall problemsss." The snakeman pointed down a path. Kazo spoke, "Thanks! Goodbye!" Kazo then walked down the path. Small problems?

Kazo continued down the path until he reached a trade depot. There he spotted Nefarious speaking with a human, several trade goods in a messy arrangement. Notable among them was a cage with a bull in it. The bull was rather odd though. Kazo at first thought it was a calf, but the horns said otherwise. It was just a very small bull. Nefarious spoke, "That darn critter ain't any bigger than the last time I seen 'im!" Kazo snickered. Small problems indeed.

Nefarious continued, "Come back with somethin' bigger than a damn calf next time! The small ranches are south of 'ere ya know, maybe ya aughta pay the suckers down there a visit! Or ya can drown the thing in the river and stop tryin' to sell 'im!" The human, visibly annoyed, several times most likely, spoke under his breath a few obscenities in his annoyance and began to pack his items up on his wagon. Nefarious walked away. She smiled as she passed Kazo. Kazo walked alongside her.

She spoke, "Glad ta see ya again! How's Rostus?" Kazo replied, "I think he's having a resource problem. He asked me to get some of his old documents from the military too. Where could they be?" Nefarious replied, "I dunno where the military keeps their stolen crap, but they do some weird stuff out by Endlesslabors. Careful o'er there, they got some REAL weird sh*t!" Kazo smiled. It meant there was even more for him to discover there.

Kazo spoke, "So what was that with him back there?" Nefarious replied, "Oh just a regular tradesman. Such a damn a**hole the rest o' my traders won't have anythin' to do with 'im!" Kazo snickered. Kazo replied, "Thanks for the information! I think I'll just head over to the forges. I need to fix my spear." Nefarious spoke, "Have fun, the crew there's a pretty nice bunch!"

As they approached the entrance, Nefarious smiled and walked up to the snakeman guard. She took his helmet off, cast it aside, hugged him, and kissed him deeply. The snakeman grinned. Nefarious smiled, waved at Kazo, then led the snakeman down the tunnels. Kazo waved back, but they were already moving down the tunnel.

Kazo turned around, and saw near one of the fields, the barn was open. For one reason or another... perhaps it was simply the open door... he felt curious about it. As he walked towards it, he heard a distant rumble, a little bit of smoke coming out of the barn, though nothing inside was visibly burning. Kazo smiled. He had time to explore Steelflame, and then he would be able to investigate a military operation that would ordinarily be high-secrecy. He was eager to see it all, and had quite a bit to look forward to.
(insert generic concern). Ok, I realize I should stop with being paranoid about stuff.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2008, 12:44:00 am »

FIRST POST!!!! Awesome!! Yay!

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2008, 12:52:00 am »

It actually did make me smile.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2008, 09:48:00 am »

BEYOND QUALITY!  :D

Poor elves, how horrid those experiments must have been to create such a creature...

And in on related notes: snakeman and demonic kobold... O_o Not a pleasant mental image...

:D   :D   :D !

Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2008, 12:05:00 am »

Thanks also  :)

Thanks to homework on top of other stuff, this is probably going to be pretty short.
Kazo approached the barn. As he did so, the rumble increased in pitch and volume, a harvester with odd modifications in its cabin leaving the barn. The harvester came to a stop outside of the barn, it's lights shining upon the nearby field. Kazo walked up to the harvester. A male kobold, the farmer who owned it, was standing on top, looking down at these rather intricate looking modifications.

Kazo looked up, and spoke, "Why hello! I don't think I've seen one made like this before!" The kobold replied, "'ello. Heh, Nefarious's kind enough to let me 'ave that gadget book o' hers. Mind doin' me a favor an' returnin' it back to 'er for me?" Kazo climbed up to stand near the kobold. Kazo replied, "Sure thing! So what does this do?" Kazo looked at the mechanical addition that seemed to be actually occupying the drivers seat.

The kobold replied, "That's a new invention o' mine. I got these gears right here on a belt, they measure how far the thing's gone. This bit right 'ere checks, and uses this to turn the wheel when it's gone far enough. Once it's turned itself around, this reverser keeps it from goin' in circles, and it does the whole thing all over again until this stops it. This stuff'l let me work the mill while the harvester runs itself! I just got this stuff put together nice, yer welcome to watch me test it." Kazo smiled. He never turned down an opportunity to witness a test.

Kazo spoke, "I think I'll just stand over there then." Kazo then gently climbed down, careful to not to disturb the napping kitten in his backpack. Kazo walked over to a post near the barn, and stood by it. The farmers invention was actually quite intricate and in some ways artistic. Kazo watched as the kobold started it going. The kobold then stepped down, and stood by the barn door. A moment later, the harvester started to move on its own.

The harvester seemed to do as it was intended, harvesting a wide strip from the field, turning, then harvesting another strip. All seemed well, but eventually, a distant 'TWANG' was heard. A small piece of metal was ejected from the cabin of the harvester, and it seemed the gears were shifting around in ways they weren't intended. The harvester continued down the strip, but didn't turn at the end as was intended.

The kobold ran toward the now errant harvester, but the harvester turned sharply, its spinning blades now headed right for the kobold. The kobold stopped right there, turned about face and ran back to the barn, the harvester pursuing. The kobold entered the barn, the harvester barely missing the back of the barn, instead ramming into a small wooden post, toppling it and obliterating part of it before throwing it beneath itself. The kobold then emerged again holding a crossbow with a bayonet on the end. Kazo snickered and smiled, waving his tail about.

A creation-turned-hazard. It's a concept I'm familiar with!

The kobold ran across, and skidded to a stop, taking aim at the mechanism driving the blades of the harvester. The harvester ran into a barrel, quickly reducing it to planks, and sending the contents flying in a rather messy spread. The kobold fired in an attempt to jam the blades, perhaps just long enough for him to safely make it up onto the top of the machine. The bolt flew, struck the mechanisms, and glanced away right into the blades, where it was promptly ground and spat out. The harvester reversed its turning, and once again seemed to turn towards the kobold. The kobold ran towards the harvester, getting ready to leap onto the side of it.

The harvester then began to turn much sharply, the kobold having to dive out of the way to avoid the rapidly spinning blades. The kobold landed on his belly, the harvester driving by, the blades barely missing the kobolds feet. The kobold then hopped back to his feet, and hopped onto the side of the harvester, quickly climbing up to the cabin. He reached to shut the engine off, but a small cord hanging from his shirt got cought in the shifting and occasionally grinding gears of the now broken controller. Before he could reach far enough, he was pulled against the metal of the cabin by the cord of his shirt. A moment later, he grunted, struggling to avoid having his face pulled into the gears. A moment after that, the cord snapped, causing him to slip and fall from the harvester, landing on his back on the ground below.

He got up, shook off, and ratcheted back his crossbow, loading a new bolt into it. Meanwhile, the harvester turned right, plowing through a trough, and continuing toward a large cylinder of hay, neatly rolled and bound. The harvester tore through the hay, sending hay up and reducing it to a rather messy group of piles as it made its way through. The kobold yelled, "Dammit, that was good hay!" He then fired at his very own mechanisms in an attempt to jam them. Yet again, the bolt just glanced away. It was becoming apparent that bolts weren't effective at all.

The harvester turned to face him again, and seemed to accelerate, continuing in a straightening path. The kobold ran to the side, avoiding the blades, then gave chase to the harvester. He finally managed to leap up onto part of the back, climbing up to the top of the harvester. He made his way to the mechanisms, held his crossbow up, then brought it down, stabbing the bayonet into the mechanisms, jamming it between two gears. The bayonet was quite dented, but the gears were brought to a halt. The machine still continued though.

The kobold slowly made his way around the mechanisms, careful to avoid starting them going again. He saw he was approaching the river. He then, with much more haste, stepped towards the front and shut the engine off. The harvester slowed, but still approached the river. The kobold considered jumping, but didn't. The harvester finally came to a stop, blades held over the river. The kobold stepped down, sighed, and leaned against the now still harvester.

It was a small piece that broke off that caused all of that as well. Kazo noticed this, and began walking toward where he saw the piece fall. He expected the kobold knowing what piece broke off would help the kobold fix the problem. Maybe that and returning the book as he said might be something positive in the kobolds day. Though, he still had much more to do, and was intent on doing it.
I get the feeling I might've overestimated the harvesters power a bit. Then again, it is heavy machinery.

Also, turned out longer than I had anticipated. I get the feeling I really am going slow.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13