Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Questionable Ethics  (Read 32858 times)

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Questionable Ethics
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2008, 12:18:00 am »

Thanks  :p

Actually, Kazo's waiting to see if the kobold would pass out or not. Once the kobold passed out he'd probably help him. He's probably going to offer to help him anyway since they arrived.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2008, 12:47:00 am »

I see. His behaviour just came across as a bit odd at first, but perhaps it's just because he hasn't become committed to any particular cause? He could have easily dispatched the marauder's fighters and saved the zeppelin's crew, but instead, he sat back and watched. Perhaps he's still trying to decide which side of this conflict to choose, or possibly, become his own side.

I like this raptor.

Ugh, I ramble on waaay too much.

Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2008, 12:58:00 am »

I'm glad he's appreciated   :p

Also, keep in mind who created him.

[ February 15, 2008: Message edited by: AlanL ]

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2008, 01:02:00 am »

Yup, you're still the boss, and we wouldn't have it any other way.  :)
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2008, 04:22:00 am »

BEYOND QUALITY!

KAZO IS JUST SO... KAZO!  :D

One need a special kind of mind to have that kind of curiosity.

If true science had a face, it would be the one of an admantine raptor.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2008, 11:25:00 pm »

I smiled. Thanks  :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kazo had one last thing on his mind before he would leave the airship. Kazo asked the kobold, "So do you need any help with that?" Kazo looked at the dressed injury. The kobold, looking a bit weak from blood loss, replied, "No, I'll take care of myself!" This was an interesting drawback to being tough and acting the role... missed opportunities to not have to be tough. Kazo replied, "Ok then, suit yourself!" Kazo then walked away. He expected the kobold would survive, although the kobolds recovery would probably be much more unpleasant thanks to his own decision. Kazo descended the stairway to the bottom, then walked to the nearby doorway, opening it to find a corridor to a small room with windows on each wall, overlooking the cliff, and a wooden stairway down. Kazo descended the stairway. It was actually a fairly long stairway, leading below the surface, into a downward tunnel, which became dark, then light again. Kazo eventually descended to a sort of foyer within which several kobolds, dressed in various ways, walked through. The stairs continued down. He continued down along with a couple of kobolds to a hallway. The kobolds left the stairwell there, but Kazo continued down further. One of the things that had attracted his curiosity was what lay literally at the bottom of this town. Down another level was another hallway, this one wider, a strip of obsidian leading down the middle. Kazo walked down the hallway, picking an arbitrary direction. He encountered a T-section. One way had obsidian, one way didn't. Kazo followed the obsidian, passing by a few kobolds and listening in on their conversations. He noticed many of them dressed in a manner that was unique to each individual, both self expressive and self emphasizing. Kazo listened in, and the kobolds spoke, "... so what if they're a bunch of pr*cks, just do it anyway!" "You don't understand."... "Of course he was gunna win the match, the other guy was such a newbie he'd probably hit himself with that sword." "He just had bad luck, that's all! I swear he'll slice that guy right through next time!"... "Tok Hammerblazes... what will he blow up next?" "3 armored vehicles, 2 auto-crossbow nests, and a partridge in a pear tree." Kazo listened to all he could... it seemed these people were collectively an unusual bunch, relatively often finding it in themselves to mock the folly of the world. Kazo found himself amused with some of it. Eventually, after going down a ramp, he reached a large obsidian door.

Kazo opened it, and entered a large, circular room, the walls covered in masterful engravings, masterwork furniture present, and at the center, 4 columns, between which lay a masterwork wooden bed, and upon this bed lay what appeared to be quite literally a demonic kobold... quite a beautiful one indeed... Even Kazo took a moment to admire such beauty. She lay with a book open, reading it with glasses on her face, the bottom of her muzzle resting upon her hand. Kazo walked up to her, "So I take it you're Nefarious?" She looked at Kazo and smiled with an expression that seemed to somehow simultaneously convey mischief and menace, as well as a welcome... She spoke, "So I take it you're new 'round here. Yep I'm Nefarious, and for a few good reasons too!" She set the book down, took off her glasses, set them on the book, then sat up. The book was titled, "A brief history of steam gadgetry." Kazo noticed that there was the monochrome image of familiar, old markings on walls... they had been long ago burned into the wall by intense radiation, and the image showed the results of a much more recent excavation, unearthing the heat-engravings from their obsidian filling. Kazo looked closely at this... a lot of discussion and argument was detailed regarding historical facts. Nefarious spoke, "Yeah, even I gotta admire the guy, my mom said he's the one who released her... cheated 'er outta one hell of a bargain somehow. Nobody knows what happened o'er there either, 'specially what happened to him and how those engravings got there the way they were. They just proved it a year ago that it ain't carved out, but if it ain't natural or done by hand, well I dunno what happen'd. So what are ya here for?" Kazo replied, "Information! And fuel... information about this fuel helps too! I need a special kind of fuel, one that's radioactive." She replied, "Talk to Rostus south of 'ere. He's the only one around that works with that 'radioactive' crap, and I dunno what he did, but thanks to him the military's gone put a ban on all civilian pitchblende trade, like I give a sh*t. I still sell the stuff to him anyway. He's kinda funny in the head if ya ask me though. Fun guy to talk to!"

Kazo commented, "Thanks! You're the most helpful demon I've ever seen." She replied, "You're a decent guy, and I'm only half demon. My mom got screwed over and took it out on me, and that's why I killed her. I came here and started messing up all the little corrupt systems they and even Armok had in place. It's a big f*ck you to my mom, a big f*ck you to demonkind, and a big f*ck you to Armok. It's paid off one hell of a lot too!" She then lay back on her bed in the middle of this luxurious room. She continued, "The people here love me so much they asked me to ask them to make it." Kazo smiled, "I see. I'm curious, what did you say to anger the religious people?" She replied, "So what if I called their god a **** ****-********** **** who **** **** little boys up the ***? They deserved it! And it was fun too, can't forget that!" Kazo snickered, "You have a very colorful vocabulary!" She yawned, "Yep." Kazo spoke, noticing her becoming tired, "I think I'll just go meet this Rostus. Thanks!" She snickered, "Have fun with 'im." Kazo waved, and then left. He had this town to explore, and after that, he would have an opportunity to meat one of the most fa-... infamous... members of the scientific community of that day. Perhaps he could strike a deal to get some more fuel?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I kept getting the feeling I wasn't really portraying Nefarious properly, but it's meant to be so she's only nasty towards the people that piss her off.

And yes, I know it's short... I don't want to write when I'm really tired and risk messing stuff up.

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2008, 11:43:00 pm »

first post!

meh... can't read right now...

[ February 15, 2008: Message edited by: Reign on your Parade ]

ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2008, 11:55:00 pm »

Well, I was half-right. Or at least, on the right track. She's not the SAME demon Blitukus released, but she's related.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2008, 05:16:00 am »

BEYOND QUALITY!  :D

I'd better not summon Nefarius if I ever get lucid dreams to work, I think. Err, why do I say this on a public forum? *flushes* That might end horribly... inconveniently. My ultimate hatred for all humans have long saved me... I can only hope my shielding is species independent, or that my lack of knowledge about kobold autonomy might save me. I am sickening myself by even realizing there is a threat of something happening. Forget that I ever said this, it is just a joke or embarrassing bluntness.

HOW CAN YOU KEEP COMING UP WHIT ALL THESE AWESOME CHARS???  :D

And I love the idea of good demons, there is really NO Always Chaotic Evil races in your stories, not even DEMONS, and thats awesome!  :D

Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2008, 11:27:00 am »

Heh, thanks  :p

She is actually fairly chaotic... although I guess you might say she's good in a cruel way, if that makes any sense at all.

[ February 16, 2008: Message edited by: AlanL ]

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2008, 01:21:00 pm »

That seems to be fairly average on the good/evil scale of RL politicians, the difference lies in that she's not boring, and chaos is in most cases something good.
Generally she's pure awesome.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2008, 11:39:00 pm »

Glad to hear, and thank you.   :)

(Do I say thanks TOO much? Prob'ly not.)
Kazo walked back through the hallways, in the general direction of the cliff face. He noticed that traffic was disappearing from the halls... likely, as the sun had been up for several hours now, they were retreating home for time alone and rest. Eventually, he came across a doorway near an intersection that was actually a double-door, surrounded by masterfully made art in silver, curved rays shooting out from the frame. Kazo entered the double door, and found himself within a large tavern, far to the back, an opening to the outside was visible, an artificial waterfall pouring down creating mist for those sitting nearby to enjoy. Steel grates with spikes sticking up from them allowed water through... but should an unwelcome guests enter through the waterfall, they would find themselves stuck in the waterfall to the amusement of the townsfolk.

There was a bar toward the rear left corner of the tavern, and behind the bar, a goblin was washing out an obsidian mug. Kazo approached, and spoke, "Why hello!" The goblin replied, "'sa bit late, we're s'pposed to be closed." Kazo asked, "So why aren't you out pillaging random dwarven forts?" The goblin replied, "I tried'a kill the king when me and my bunch sieged last, and it didn' work. I made an escape an' ended up out here. Bein' the bartender ain't as good as bein' a king but it sure beats bein' dead!" Kazo smiled, "I see! What do you serve here?" The bartender replied, "New 'ere eh? We always got gnomeblight on tap. 's the only place around that's got the stuff." Kazo asked, "So I take it this 'gnomeblight' isn't your average drink then?" The bartender responded, "You been livin' under a rock the last thousand years?" Kazo snickered, "Close!... So what is it?" The bartender replied, "It's the best damn stuff ever to show up on this 'ere world. Go figure the government went'n banned it. Just means more trade from the guys at Shadedports, they love runnin' the stuff, pretty profitable too! Favorite among the pirates, and a favorite around here. Just watch out for the crap stuff. We make the real deal here, but that's cause the military cops are afraid of Nefarious. Other places, people make crap fake stuff in their basements, an' it'll REALLY poison ya." Kazo snickered, "So why do they call it gnomeblight anyway?" The bartender continued, having moved through a few mugs already, "Notice there ain't no more gnomes anymore? The stuff was invented by the kobolds back in the day... 300s I think it was. It was an instant cash factory for the kobolds, a specialty of theirs. They sold barrel after barrel after wagon-full-o'-barrels to the gnomes, who couldn' get enough a' the stuff. None of em knew the stuff messed with the gnomes down there, if ya know what I mean. They all ended up shootin' duds! A few generations later, no more gnomes! Hah!" Kazo spoke, "Extinctions... they happen once in a while! So why did the government ban it?" The bartender answered, "The official reason 's 'cause it corrupts the young and makes people beat their spouses. Fat load 'a manure, that is! The unofficial reason's 'cause people could make it at home from the base plant, so the government couldn't regulate it or tax it. They couldn't get any money off it, so now they're tryin' to get rid of it." Kazo replied, "That seems to be a common theme these days. Thanks for the information! Goodbye!" The goblin waved. Kazo waved back, and left, turning down a corner and reaching a main hallway.

He turned left at the intersection, and proceeded up the main hallway toward an exit. To his side, he saw the entrance to a now empty obsidian-lined arena, quite vast actually, windows overhead and rows of seats leading down to the flat arena in the center... though it appeared there were a variety of devices surrounding the arena, likely to modify and manage the environment at the center. Kazo continued on, reaching the exit. There was without a doubt more to explore, but he expected he would be paying this site several visits. The hallway ended at a steel gate, open, that led outside to the desert. It was the middle of slate, but even in this season the badlands were quite hot. Luckily, Kazo was immune to 'standard' heat and cold. As Kazo approached, he noticed the guard by the gate. The guard was actually... a snakeman? This snakeman was clad in steel armor, equipped with a masterwork steel sword, not a half-sword the police use, a real sword, and a masterwork steel crossbow with ratchet-and-sliding-gear mechanisms. As Kazo approached, he noticed the snakeman leaning on a wall... he was holding a rock, and smiling. The snakemans tongue flicked in the air, and he promptly placed the rock against his face and started petting it, happily mumbling at it and grinning. The snakeman was startled to see Kazo, and immediately stood at attention, hiding the rock behind himself. Kazo snickered, "That's an adorable rock!" The snakeman grinned and stood tall. Kazo exited. Then, he looped up to see another guard standing on a high perch in the shadows of the cliff face. This guard was a kobold, dressed in a black robe over leather armor. Unlike most kobolds, he had grey fur and a long beard. He had a bow, rather than a crossbow. This odd kobold watched Kazo as Kazo walked away from the gate. Kazo passed by a few wooden buildings, windmills, and a trade depot. Within these few buildings were mostly storage equipment and vehicle maintenance equipment, notably at the landing strip. Kazo walked around the strip, and started noticing peculiar patterns in the dirt around the strip, as well as a second runway placed intersecting the first in a very odd position. Kazo snickered... the second strip was a very short strip, ending abruptly right at the cliff face. Right next to it, in large dirt-path writing meant to be visible from the air, the words "I bet you 2000*!" were written. Kazo smiled. Perhaps there were more of these oddities scattered about? The next time he visited, he made a goal, he would find the others.

Kazo walked away from that town headed south. He looked around, smiling at the cacti, the dirt, and the tough creatures that inhabit them. Kazo hopped into the river, swam across, and then continued on across relatively flat terrain, a small mountain ahead in the distance. Kazo walked toward the small mountain, and after several hours of walking, found himself eventually ascending it. This slowed him down, but not by much. He often simply leapt up from one level to the next, allowing him to progress much more rapidly. As Kazo walked and climbed, the sun moved through the sky. He hopped from one rock to the next up a large red rock formation, climbing to the top, and continuing further, eventually reaching the summit. Kazo looked down at the steep, rocky incline, a small town of wooden buildings in the distance beyond it. Kazo grinned, waved his tail about, then jumped up, landing on the steep slope and sliding down it, faster and faster.

He grinned and ducked down, a trail of dust in the air left behind him. He steered himself toward a rock formation jutting out, crouched down further, then leapt into the air as he launched off of it. He spun in the air, and let himself plummet, drifting gracefully over a chasm, and landing smoothly on another slope. He guided himself toward the town, but launched off of another outcropping, doing a back flip in the air over a flat area of sharp rocks, landing again on another steep slope. Kazo grinned, and leapt off of another outcropping, walking on the air... though as he came down, his foot brushed against a patch of grass, but the other didn't causing him to spin as he slid. As his back was turned, he was about to leap up and reestablish himself, but his foot was cought by a larger than usual rock. Kazo stumbled, and fell onto his side, though his body kept sliding. Kazo spun, and ended up tumbling as he attempted to right himself. He tumbled right off of another outcropping, spun through the air, and faceplanted the rocks below. He slid for a ways, rocks piling up over him, leaving a trail of scraped dirt behind him. Eventually, he came to a stop, his upper body and head covered in rocks, his lower body bent upwards, the tip of his tail nearly at the back of his head. A moment later, his lower half fell to the ground. He stood, feeling rather sore from it all, and shook off. He felt himself, and found some more of his face was now scratched a little. Kazo again found himself embarrassed about his weakness, balance compensation, but he found it in himself to snicker. Unexpected results were always an amusing twist. Kazo sat, and rested for a bit, focusing his energies upward, repairing his slightly damaged head. When that was done, he smiled, ran down the slope, and resumed sliding down it. He slid down for a while, eventually reaching dry grass and more level dirt, at which point he began to run rather than slide. It was now after noon, and right ahead lay a small town in the desert, consisting entirely of wooden buildings, a dirt path leading in and out of it. Here he would meet Rostus... Kazo thought, there was a chance Rostus could actually be quite a bit like him... there was also a chance Rostus could be virtually the opposite. Kazo eagerly looked forward to meeting this person, and the chance of getting fuel was a bonus as well.
I get the feeling I may not have gone into enough detail at some points. At least that's easy to fix if that's the case. I actually ended up deep in thought quite a few times writing this too.

[ February 16, 2008: Message edited by: AlanL ]

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2008, 11:48:00 pm »

Gravity-1, Kazo-0

Hilarious.   :D

Edit: FIRST POST!!

[ February 16, 2008: Message edited by: Impending Doom ]

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2008, 03:25:00 pm »

BEYOND QUALITY!  :D

The grey bearded guard likes lungfish, thanks for including my little idea AlanL!  :p

And Kazo == awesome!

Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2008, 11:16:00 pm »

Thanks  :p

Heh, it was a good idea, very original character, so I figured I might as well.
Kazo ran across the hot dirt of the badlands... there was a small stream ahead. Indeed, that small town was surrounded by several farms irrigated by it. If it weren't for the stream, these lands wouldn't be farmable at all. Kazo slowed as he entered the dirt path leading into town. The farms weren't growing food really, rather cash crops such as various dye plants to sell to traders that either came by automobile or by wagon. There were a few wooden buildings near the center, the rest of the area was occupied by several farms, irrigated by channel, two prominent windmills shared by the farms. In the distance, upstream, were two livestock ranches. Kazo walked down the dirt path between two farms, entering the center of town. The townsfolk mostly lived near their part of the farm, the buildings at the center serving only as storage and equipment maintenance sheds... apart from a tavern near the very center. Kazo walked into the center of town, and looked around... nearby, there was a small automobile, rather oddly shaped with fabric housing the top, sides, and rear. On each side of the hood, a hemispherical headlight was mounted. It seemed this was the only automobile in town... there were a few wagons to be seen, although the horses to go with them were back in the stables. What was happening to the automobile was a plain reminder of one of the disadvantages of self-powered land vehicles. The horseless wagons were going nowhere... but two young kobolds were at the automobile, one digging around in the engine, hood open, another behind the automobile, getting ready to push it. Kazo snickered and watched. He had never seen such a vehicle before... what would they do to it to accomplish their goals? Would they get away? The kobold at the engine finished what she was doing, slammed the hood shut, moved a lever inside of the vehicle, and then joined her accomplice at the back of the vehicle. They struggled and shoved, gradually causing the vehicle to start moving, the motion spinning the engine within. It was then a loud neighing was heard. A male human on horseback approached the two, and spoke, "What the hell do you think you're doin'?!" The two kobolds fled. Kazo smiled, and continued. Where was Rostus?

Kazo looked around... among the wooden buildings was what appeared to be a small steel hatch on the ground. Kazo immediately began walking toward it. Perhaps it led to a secret location? A hidden room?... It could just as easily lead to a cesspool, but that wasn't the point. Aside from a few humans who seemed to overlook Kazo, the paths were empty. Kazo reached the hatch, and opened it. He found that there was a stairway downwards dug into the dirt, covered in concrete. Kazo entered the stairwell, shutting the hatch behind himself. Kazo continued down the stairway, reaching a door at the bottom. The door was locked... but rather than risk an unnecessary confrontation, he would get through in the conventional manner. Kazo knocked on the door and waited. A few moments later, a small slot on the door opened, a kobold wearing dark steel goggles with black glass lenses looking through.

The kobold spoke, "An adamantine saurian..." Kazo was fully dressed in his coat and pants... how did the kobold recognize him? Why was the kobold not surprised to see him? He would find out soon enough. Kazo replied, "Rostus?" The kobold replied, "Indeed I am. What brings you here?" Kazo replied, "I'd like to buy some radioactives!" Rostus replied, "I see... you've come to the right place then... sort of." Rostus opened the door, and gestured for Kazo to enter. Kazo did so. Inside this subterranean room was rather comfortable living arrangements, separated also into separate other rooms. The interior was dimly lit by electric lamps. Kazo looked back. Rostus wore a rather expensive looking suit, black on top, with a barely noticeable grey underneath. Rostus also was smoking a cigar. Rostus shut the door and walked up to Kazo. Kazo looked at Rostus, sensing all he could tell about this kobold... yet somehow, he could not tell the will or the tendencies of this kobold. They were somehow masked... Kazo did sense though that, unlike everything else in this world, Rostus was continuously supplied with enough mana to be able to make use of it. Kazo sensed this mana originated from a single location, though wherever it was, it seemed distant. It was then Kazo had noticed that Rostus had done a similar check on him. Rostus exhaled smoke from the cigar, the smoke drifting up over his goggles. Rostus then grinned, "Radioactives can't be sold, and they can't be bought, for I am the only one with the know-how to make use of them. If you bring me a few components I need, I'll see to your fuel issue." Kazo replied, "Sure thing!... So how did you know what I am?" Rostus replied, "You were in a dream of mine recently... I recognized you. I believe you just might be important in my future. Anyhow, first, I require gems. Emeralds especially, but diamonds as well. As many as you can carry. Northwest of here is the remains of an old dwarven mining expedition that was abandoned. They found several pockets, and their equipment is still there. Doubtlessly it will be reclaimed soon, but now is a good time to claim some of those gems."

Kazo spoke, "So why don't you buy the gems." Rostus spoke, "Ah yes, all this... I was heir to a profitable silver mining venture and the fortune surrounding it. Alas, as my mine began to yield less, I was outcompeted by a former company leader of the east, and when a massive cave in occurred, I was forced out of business. Nefarious did something with this leader recently... not sure what, but he hasn't been pestering me ever since. Now, my funds are running low. Though I will use most of the gems, I plan on selling some in order to further fund my project..." Kazo asked, "Project? So what is this project?" Rostus replied, "That is for me alone to know." Kazo would find out anyway sooner or later... though until he got the fuel, it was likely the best idea to stay on this kobolds good side. Otherwise, he would be dooming himself to starving off. Rostus spoke, "Bring back the gems, then we may discuss further." Kazo replied, "Ok, goodbye!" Kazo then left, proceeded up the stairs, then exited back onto the dirt path. He began to walk northwest, toward a relatively nearby mountain. Kazo noticed the time... it was barely a few hours into the afternoon. That kobold being awake during this time of day was the equivalent of a diurnal creature being awake at 2 in the morning. Why did this kobold act in such a way? How did he know these things? Where did that mana come from? Kazo questioned whether this kobold was benevolent or destructive. Who benefited from his actions? He had arrived curious as to the nature of Rostus... and left only ever more curious.
Yet again I waited too late and ended up tired... maybe it's become a habit.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13