Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I need help  (Read 505 times)

Wellincolin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I need help
« on: January 12, 2011, 08:57:45 pm »

Okay, now that was seriously soon. I consider myself a quick learner, but when the case is Dwarf Fortress I already knew it would be kinda hard.
First of all I don't have anything against the ASCII graphics, but as I'm learning I thought it would be easier using a graphics pack. I downloaded the infamous Lazy Newb Pack, and to learn the basics, I downloaded the Bentgirder save.
On the wiki it's not detailed on how to start when using a graphics pack. This is mentioned about it, though:
If you're using a graphical tile set, you will need to copy over the modified raw files. If you're using the Lazy Newb Pack there's an automatic save updater that will do this for you

Except I didn't understood it. At all.

I have placed the phoebus graphic pack raws and etc where they should be, I think, except there are some characters that are being replaced with stuff. There is a dorf named K?buk Teshkadedem, I don't know what character the "?" is, because it's replaced with a bucket.
There is also the Vab?k Zuntirrilem, the "?" is a snowy tree.

I would be grateful if someone help me on fixing this minor issue.

Sorry for my poor english.

Yours,

Well.

Edit: I noticed it had something to do with the font. The Phoebus_16x16 doesn't have accents, and the name has the character "ô". That's unfortunate, though. This is probably because "ô", which is one of the characters that I stated as "?" was a bucket on the ASCII version? Is there any way to fix it?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 09:08:47 pm by Wellincolin »
"The WereAss collides with The Ostrich Cock!
The Ostrich Cock is knocked over and tumbles backward!

The Ostrich Cock is no longer stunned.
The Ostrich Cock stands up."

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I need help
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 09:29:07 pm »

Hi, First off this is in the wrong board theres a gameplay questions board.
second as far as i know graphics turning up in the texts is an unfortunate side effect of having graphics packs theres not much that can be done but I understand theres a fix coming soon? Maybe another more knowledgeable player can fill us in there.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 09:30:20 pm »

In either init.txt or d_init.txt, there is an option for truetype fonts. change the NO to YES.  That should solve your weird character problem.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Wellincolin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 09:36:19 pm »

Thank you, and my deepest apologize. I was almost certain that this sub-forum for questions existed, but somehow I overlooked it.

Actually, changing the truetype font from NO to YES made it quite worse. The characters weren't showing as sprites but as squares, and some additional characters were showing as stones. Thank you anyway, I guess I'll live with this side-effect.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 09:38:11 pm by Wellincolin »
"The WereAss collides with The Ostrich Cock!
The Ostrich Cock is knocked over and tumbles backward!

The Ostrich Cock is no longer stunned.
The Ostrich Cock stands up."

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 10:05:32 pm »

If you don't want to live with it, it is solvable by editing the language files such that none of those characters are present (replacing them with non-accented characters). There was a download of those files somewhere around with this already done, but I can't find it.

You might have to generate a new world for the changes to take effect, I don't recall.