Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: My Custom Tileset  (Read 3779 times)

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Custom Tileset
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2007, 07:59:00 pm »

A million humble thank you's. =p

Yeah, the 12x12 is very refined. I spend a LOT of time on it, trying subtly different designs for the font. I am really happy with it. Not having a monitor to tryuly playtest the 16x16 on, it will be a bit more work. (Don't worry folks, I am still working on it. My boss just doesn't appreciate me working on it here, though he's cool with me on the intarweb...  :roll: )

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 12:51:00 am »

I've been using your 12x12 for a few hours; I really like it. Very slick, I say. Oddly enough I found that I really liked the squares-with-shaded-edges, for lack of any actual name that comes to mind. It makes certain walls and such look better, not to mention the 'border' around the window. =)

I tried your 16x16, but I think I set my resolution incorrectly, as everything looked sort of squeezed and/or blurry. I think it's because I set my resolution to 1152x864, but I had blackspace set to ON...

I prefer 1024x768 on this monitor, anyway, and 12x12 makes a nice window. (Not to mention, for some reason a 75hz refresh rate at 1152x864 hurts my eyes, but 85hz at 1024x768 doesn't. Those are the max for each on this monitor.)

Actually liked your font so much that I disabled my graphics I had been using, because the text looked that smooth! Just one question; I converted the .gif download into a .bmp, but it wouldn't show anything but black until I increased the color depth from 8 bits to 24 bits; is that normal?

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 12:56:00 am »

Yeah, the file must be a 24-bit bmp file to work correctly, with any areas at 255R/0G/255B (RGB Magenta) will be transparent. I don't have a host at the moment to actually host a PNG file (which I prefer), so I hotlinked to myspace, where I posted it as a GIF, so myspace wouldn't resample a JPG. Not to mention that even at the highest possible quality setting you still have some loss. The only effect of making it a GIF is a possible slight loss in color depth, as a GIF is limited to 256 colors, though of any color value you designate.

And the effect is 'embossed'. There is actually two effects on each object, an inner shadow and an emboss, to create the proper shading. And each layer has its effects customized to the objects of that layer. There are two text layers, so effects of neighboring items don't blend, two walls layers, two solid walls layers, the rock and '+' on one layer, and all other objects on the last layer. If I hadn't broken up the walls, some objects emboss wouldn't show properly. Anyway... heh.

And thanks, I really like it too. =D I amaze myself sometimes.

[ May 02, 2007: Message edited by: herrbdog ]

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2007, 01:58:00 pm »

So I've been generating a lot of new worlds with this tileset, as I look for a new home to begin playing. Is there any reason why, during world gen, the world has the right colors (forest = green, desert = beige/yellow) but during the actual "choosing of the location" the ENTIRE WORLD is solid brown?

Also, it looks pretty blurry to me. I'm using the 12x12 one on a 1280x1024 res monitor.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2007, 02:35:00 pm »

The map turns brown when the map creation is done I *think* because it is supposed to be simulating an old hand-drawn parchment map. Like in adventure mode when you know about areas of the world map that you can't actively see, they have the same effect. Very clever use of the ascii, imho.

And if it looks blurry on a 1280x1024... What are your settings? DF resolution settings, and current monitor resolution settings? And do you have an LCD or CRT? If it is an LCD, what is the native (hardware) resolution of the monitor? And are you running windowed or fullscreen? Um... that's all I can think of. I prolly can help you if I know these things =D

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2007, 10:12:00 pm »

I have an LCD, and I'm pretty sure this is the native resolution (although that's just from guessing). It is specifically DF that gives my eyes trouble now after using this tileset. I have DF set to 960x300. I think it's just because the tileset is so dark, and smooth.

But, I have trouble playing ASCII games generally because of the choppy movement and small size.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2007, 11:04:00 pm »

Well, on any LCD, if you do not have the monitor set to the hardware resolution (or an integer division) the monitor itself will necessarily blur the smaller pixels larger to fit. If it is not one-to-one (not at native or integer division), many pixels will "overlap" into the next pixel.

If you are running it windowed, and your desktop resolution is set to the hardware resolution of your monitor, it will be pixel for pixel. The only "blurriness" that may be evident would be from the smoothing that I used on the font. It is a bit of a change from the 1-bit (well, kinda sorta) curses font, so that may be it.

*shrug*

Does that help?

My LCD's native resolution is 1024x768 (i know, i know, i am in the dark ages =p), so I only use my monitor at that resolution, because at 800x600 or 640x480 or 640x400, the pixels will be stretched to fit. If I were to use 512x384, then each pixel would stretch to be 2x2 pixels, and thus not appear blurred.

The 12x12 has been sent to the DF Wiki. Anyone who can, please make it available on there for all!

16x16 ETA: this weekend. Work is kicking my ass.

[ May 04, 2007: Message edited by: herrbdog ]

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2007, 11:41:00 pm »

I linked it in the tilesets page.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2007, 12:01:00 am »

Danke!

melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kieranmillar.com
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2007, 05:18:00 pm »

I can't seem to get your tileset to work.

I've converted it to a .bmp file, placed it in data/art, then pointed the ini file to it, but when I start the game, the window is black.

DF is actually running. I managed to start a new game with an adventurer by navigating through the menus without actually being able to see anything, and I got this:

It seems that only some of the tiles or colours are showing, but incorrectly.

Anybody know what's wrong? Using the default tile set works perfectly....

TOADY WARNING TO POTENTIAL RESPONDENTS: This topic now has a page 2, and this post has been replied to independently 4 times -- go to page 2!  He he he...

[ May 07, 2007: Message edited by: Toady One ]

DR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2007, 05:32:00 pm »

Did you save it as a 24-bit .bmp specifically?

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2007, 06:21:00 pm »

That looks REALLY weird!

I use this:

code:
This is the size and font for windowed mode.  Changing to 800x600 and the 800x600 font might make you happier.

[WINDOWEDX:960]
[WINDOWEDY:300]
[FONT:144.bmp]

And make sure it is a 24-bit BMP, not an 8-bit. The file size should be 110,648 bytes.

Try that.

EDIT: I am retarded, I didn't see there was a page 2!!

[ May 06, 2007: Message edited by: herrbdog ]

ktrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2007, 08:54:00 pm »

When you saved it as a .bmp, did you save it as a 24 bit .bmp?
trey cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: Interrupted by Message Board.

Jifodus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Projects
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2007, 12:09:00 am »

You converted it to a bitmap, but did you convert it to a 24-bit bitmap?

I'll echo this....

quote:
Originally posted by herrbdog:
<STRONG>
EDIT: I am retarded, I didn't see there was a page 2!!

[ May 06, 2007: Message edited by: herrbdog ]</STRONG>

:roll:

[ May 07, 2007: Message edited by: Jifodus ]

Dedas

• Bay Watcher
  • The dwarf next door
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2007, 02:52:00 am »

You have to convert it from Indexed to RGB.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5