Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Language Token Help?  (Read 2343 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Language Token Help?
« on: January 14, 2011, 04:17:50 pm »

If its not too much trouble could somebody clarfiy the use of the language tokens in language_words.txt?

These are the tokens in question, as copied from string dump and the 40d language article (there doesn't appear to be a DF2010 language article):

Now, I understand the first four on that list and I think that I understand a handful of the other ones (mainly relating to noun usage) based on magmawiki article, but it only covers a handful of tokens and I'm not sure what on earth is even meant by a "compound adjective" (THE_COMPOUND_ADJ, etc.) or "compound prefix" (THE_COMPOUND_PREFIX, etc.), or what differentiates a STANDARD_VERB from a nonstandard(?) verb.

Can anybody explain this?

EDIT: I particularly need to know what STANDARD_VERB does. I can figure out, approximately, what the others do...
...but What does "[STANDARD_VERB]" do???
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 12:53:38 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Language Token Help?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 01:07:39 am »

Anybody???
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 01:49:00 pm »

OK, so here's what I DO know:

• the [WORD:] token begins defining a new word. Its argument is the word that will be used in the raws
  • The [NOUN::] token defines the given word's noun form. Its first argument is  the singular form of the noun, its second argument is the noun's plural form (or may be left blank if the noun doesn't have a distinct plural form)
  • [THE_NOUN_SING] allows a noun to be used as a word following "the"
  • [OF_NOUN_SING] allows a noun to be used as a word following "of"
  • [FRONT_COMPOUND_NOUN_SING] lets the noun be used as the first half of a compound word
  • [REAR_COMPOUND_NOUN_SING] lets the noun be used as the second/end half of a compound word
  • [THE_COMPOUND_NOUN_SING] lets the noun be used as the first half of a compound word which immediately follows the word "the"
  • The "..._NOUN_PLUR]" tokens work similarly to the singular "..._NOUN_SING]" tokens, but with plural forms
  • Adjectives are defined with the [ADJ:] token, whose argument is the word that is used in game
  • [ADJ_DIST:] defines how early an adjective comes in a string of adjectives, with higher numbered arguments making the word come earlier
  • Every prefix in language words has both of the following tokens:
           [FRONT_COMPOUND_PREFIX]
          [THE_COMPOUND_PREFIX]

What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 01:12:53 pm »

Seriously? Nobody knows what the other tokens do?

I'd settle for just an explanation of the [STANDARD_VERB] token as that's the only one whose function I really have no idea of at all.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 12:55:20 pm »

Nobody knows what the [STANDARD_VERB] token does in language_words.txt??? :'(
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 09:40:03 pm »

Here is a partial list of verbs without the [STANDARD_VERB] tag, if that helps anybody figure out the tag's meaning:

By the way, I didn't even get halfway through language_words when compiling this list, but there's  at least three time as many [STANDARD_VERB]s.

Can somebody PLEASE help figure out what the [STANDARD_VERB] tag does? Its already apparent that most (but not all) of the verbs without it are somewhat unusual, but I can't quite pin down its actual specific effect.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 04:52:04 pm »

Could somebody please at least venture a guess or make some sort of tangentally related comment or something?
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 12:04:25 am »

I just bumped into this question myself.

The best I can figure, by playing with the name maker and the raws, is that standard verbs can be used in the front and rear compound of titles, whereas non-standard verbs can only be used in the 'of' section. For instance, you might see 'AgedWagons' or 'Towers of Crucifying', but never 'DrainedBeers'. Unless you add [STANDARD_VERB] to the verb; then it's okay.

So really, I guess all it does is allow it to show up in certain parts of the titles. Yay?
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?