Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wiki Organization - Portals  (Read 1607 times)

Calite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wiki Organization - Portals
« on: January 15, 2011, 01:19:43 pm »

It seems to me the wiki is very poorly organized. Most things are appropriately categorized, but the category pages are pretty ugly. There are some little templates to organize things more logically, such as the military one, but most of them are at the bottom of their relevant pages and very bare-bones.

Personally, I think using Portals would be the best organizational method. Each portal could have a short description of what its topic is, then logically organized links to pages fitting the portal. Each page could have something at the top that points back to the portal it is categorized in.

I understand most of the editting to the wiki is concerned with up-to-date information and accuracy, and that organization gets pushed wayside. However, proper organization not only would make the wiki more practical for users, but may make it easier to find pages to update for contributers. Ideally, a well organized wiki should lead people to regularly wiki walk.

I'd be more than willing to help set up the portals if people favor this. And if anyone has any other ideas for better organizing (or thinks the current system adequate) feel free to say so here.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 05:34:19 pm by Calite »

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wiki Organization - Portals
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 09:47:25 am »

It seems to me the wiki is very poorly organized. Most things are appropriately categorized, but the category pages are pretty ugly. There are some little templates to organize things more logically, such as the military one, but most of them are at the bottom of their relevant pages and very bare-bones.

Personally, I think using Portals would be the best organizational method. Each portal could have a short description of what its topic is, then logically organized links to pages fitting the portal. Each page could have something at the top that points back to the portal it is categorized in.

I understand most of the editting to the wiki is concerned with up-to-date information and accuracy, and that organization gets pushed wayside. However, proper organization not only would make the wiki more practical for users, but may make it easier to find pages to update for contributers. Ideally, a well organized wiki should lead people to regularly wiki walk.

I'd be more than willing to help set up the portals if people favor this. And if anyone has any other ideas for better organizing (or thinks the current system adequate) feel free to say so here.

I think picking an example, and setting it up on your user page first would be a good way to get started and gain some support for the idea.

Emi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 12:57:37 am »

A lot of the organizational effort has been put off simply because its hard to do in Mediawiki, given the multi-version layout of the wiki. There's the "Magmawiki Project" which is to create a new wiki system to replace Mediawiki, which is what several of us admins have been working on for... too long now. It sounds like you've got some wiki experience, if you would like to help hash out some feature ideas, and such, you should hit up the magmawiki irc channel, if you search df:magmawiki on the wiki, there should be info in there. You could also go to www.magmawiki.com which should have the same info, and is running a stable(ish) version of magmawiki.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 05:16:08 pm »

I was actually thinking the same thing. I don't know if that much reorganization needs to be done or if we just need a single larger "reference" type doc to tie stuff together better. Something similar to this except for fortress mode it will end up with a lot more links to elsewhere:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Adventurer_mode