Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A very depressing problem...  (Read 2110 times)

KarolineDianne

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorcerer of Chaos
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
A very depressing problem...
« on: January 15, 2011, 11:31:59 pm »

I love this game. I love reading about things that happen and the accomplishments made by players in this game. I love watching as it grows and grows into an ever more awe inspiring example of just how amazing games can be. I truly enjoy every aspect of the divine gift from the Great Toady One that is Dwarf Fortress.

But I cannot play it.

This terrible travesty is due to a very unfortunate circumstance regarding my laptop:

It was born without a numpad.

This deformation in my laptop is generally something that can be overlooked, but when it comes to Df, especially adventure mode, I simply am unable to play properly. I cannot move diagonally, I cannot use menus properly, and everything seems clunky and as though I am shackled and unable to fully experience this wonderful game.

I don't have the funds to purchase an external numpad at the moment, and it is becoming rather depressing that am only able to watch as this game is updated and improved.

I do believe I could use some help.
Urist McSlayerdwarf cancels live: Interrupted by Chaos Sorcerer

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A very depressing problem...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 11:35:22 pm »

I've been playing for months without a numpad and I get along fine. You can just do diagonal movement with the regular number keys, even if it does take a while getting use to.

Also, you can't afford a numpad attachment? The wireless ones are kind of expensive, but you can find plenty of decent wired ones for less than ten bucks.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 12:16:15 am »

Can you... not change the key settings for different things?

I was under the impression you could. Though I haven't actually 'checked' as such, I have a keypad  :o
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 04:35:09 am »

It is very playable without a numpad, you only have to get used to it.

jrmy

• Bay Watcher
  • on break
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 04:42:53 am »

I've been playing with a laptop for a couple of months now. It's really not a big deal :V the only thing I haven't yet figured out is how to scroll down the list of items you're (L)ooking at in adventure mode.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 06:50:56 am »

I've been playing with a laptop for a couple of months now. It's really not a big deal :V the only thing I haven't yet figured out is how to scroll down the list of items you're (L)ooking at in adventure mode.
You scroll it with * and /, not only the numpad version of those keys work, but the normal ones will do too (i don't know where they are on an English keyboard tho, mine are shift-7 and shift-+)

penco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 06:56:47 am »

Or you could invest in a $10 USB keyboard for the dwarves' sake.

If you have a regular (PS/2) keyboard laying around, you can buy a PS/2 to USB converter for $2 or so that will let you use that keyboard on your laptop.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 07:23:10 am »

On my old laptop, I used arrow keys for normal movement, and just used the Function key when I needed the numpad. All I really had to reconfigure were the plus/minus/multiply/divide keys, since those are used fairly frequently. If your keyboard doesn't have a numpad marked (it should), you can still check if it's there - it's usually located on the J,K,L,U,I,O,7,8 and 9 keys, corresponding to a normal numpad as if its top was mapped to the standard 7/8/9 keys.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

penco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gokajern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 11:00:55 am »

You can just go into key bindings and modify whatever you want.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 11:19:19 am »

You scroll it with * and /, not only the numpad version of those keys work, but the normal ones will do too (i don't know where they are on an English keyboard tho, mine are shift-7 and shift-+)

But if you use that without a numpad, it will also think you're pressing "shift+8" and move like ten squares north. The closest thing I can find to a solution it to press "Shift+8+down/2" to try to cancel out the movement which rapidly switches your screen between two spots and if you're lucky will leave it scrolled down on the inventory screen when you stop.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 12:32:47 pm »

don't computers have a internal keyboard for one to use?
if you don't have the number pad you could just use that.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 12:43:16 pm »

It is very playable without a numpad, you only have to get used to it.
exactly. I play on a friggin' IBM laptop with no numpad, I just visualize it and use the number row above the letters.
also you can reconfigure using the Lazy Newb Pack.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 01:06:40 pm »

Huh?
I play on a laptop and haven't even noticed the lack of a numpad hindering me.

KarolineDianne

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorcerer of Chaos
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 01:21:50 pm »

The problem I face with buying new hardware is my utter lack of personal funds. Put simply, I'm broke.

Regardless, thanks for the tips, I suppose. Sadly, this laptop does not have a function key numpad of any kind, I checked for that a long time ago.

Also, I was not aware that the *, -, and + on the normal keyboard have been made to work. Last time I played they didn't. That is a good change.

The problem with reconfiguring keys involves the fact that it would completely screw up the rest of the commands, and I think I would go absolutely insane trying to move with the number keys above the letters. I suppose I will simply have to go without moving diagonally until I have money to buy hardware that should have come with the computer int he first place.

I truly do not understand why people make laptops without the numpad. It's absolutely idiotic.
Urist McSlayerdwarf cancels live: Interrupted by Chaos Sorcerer
Pages: [1] 2