Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Doing some brewing  (Read 521 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Doing some brewing
« on: January 16, 2011, 10:46:28 pm »

I am attempting, out of sheer curiosity, to ferment maple syrup.

1. Would I need to dilute the syrup first?
2. Would kitchen yeast do the trick, or do I need special yeast?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
Re: Doing some brewing
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 11:04:17 pm »

I'd say you can but you should read up on your local laws first conserning brewing alcohol, and how much you can brew if any by law, for your own consumption.

As for the common kitchen yeast is not the best yeast for brewing if you want it to taste remotely good.

Best to use a brew you like that has active yeast cultures or go buy some brewing yeast, and read up on how to brew as well.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doing some brewing
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 11:11:00 pm »

"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".